• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ryan Shazier regains feeling in his legs: Father says he will play again

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Educate me dr.

Please let’s talk neurology.

Me thinks your just being a blow hard.
Dude was nearly paralyzed. He got a second chance to walk again. If he wants to see if he has a third chance, he can go ahead.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude was nearly paralyzed. He got a second chance to walk again. If he wants to see if he has a third chance, he can go ahead.
So tell me aside from the risk any football player takes when they step on the field, how he is at MORE RISK. Again please let’s talk neurologically

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So tell me aside from the risk any football player takes when they step on the field, how he is at MORE RISK. Again please let’s talk neurologically

How can you step aside that risk

"Aside from being punched in the head by the best fighters in the world what risk do boxers have"

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you seem to be an internet doctor today, how about you tell me how he’s not at more risk. Maybe I’ll agree with you, maybe I won’t.

After experiencing an injury like that I don’t even know how you can play at full speed ever again having that memory forever engrained in the back of your head.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you seem to be an internet doctor today, how about you tell me how he’s not at more risk. Maybe I’ll agree with you, maybe I won’t.

After experiencing an injury like that I don’t even know how you can play at full speed ever again having that memory forever engrained in the back of your head.

Of course he's more at risk

It's ridiculous to think running full speed into 220 plus pound men isn't more a risk than just your regular day to day

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he damaged his spinal cord. It will never be fully healed. The spine is a fickle thing.
An any L&I claim spinal injuries are always considered permanent. (& I know we arent talking L&I) Spinal injuries we are never fully the same. Never be 100% again.

I am on the side of hope he recovers well enough to be able to try & play again but never does.
Then let the steelers put him in the front office somewhere. he is still an inspiration & kudos again to the way the steelers are treating him.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When u figure out what ur commenting on, we can talk. Until then you can call everyone else idiots.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he damaged his spinal cord. It will never be fully healed. The spine is a fickle thing.
An any L&I claim spinal injuries are always considered permanent. (& I know we arent talking L&I) Spinal injuries we are never fully the same. Never be 100% again.

I am on the side of hope he recovers well enough to be able to try & play again but never does.
Then let the steelers put him in the front office somewhere. he is still an inspiration & kudos again to the way the steelers are treating him.
You are correct. In terms of L&I

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely he will have some
Level of impairment permanently, what and how much tbd. Could be something minimal that u don’t even notice. Could be he can’t control his bladder. You don’t know

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really that familiar with the injury to be honest. Somebody fill me in on what this pissing match is about. I’m too lazy to read.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really that familiar with the injury to be honest. Somebody fill me in on what this pissing match is about. I’m too lazy to read.
I really just made the statement that if by some chance shazier get cleared from a neurological perspective and somehow regains his pro athlete form then go for it, play. If he’s cleared he’s not at any more risk than anyone else for sci.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no Doctor but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really just made the statement that if by some chance shazier get cleared from a neurological perspective and somehow regains his pro athlete form then go for it, play. If he’s cleared he’s not at any more risk than anyone else for sci.

There’s not much data to back things up one way or the other that I’m aware of and what is out there is probably largely anecdotal. That being said, would he be at increased risk for LBP, possible neurological, and radicular issues? We know that previously injured nervous tissue are significantly more sensitive to mechanical and chemical input than uninsured ones. That being said, would he be at an increased risk for another SCI injury with resultant loss of function as he had before? I know very little about his injury but there’s no reason I can think of that would be the case. I would be shocked if he could ever regain his form though.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s not much data to back things up one way or the other that I’m aware of and what is out there is probably largely anecdotal. That being said, would he be at increased risk for LBP, possible neurological, and radicular issues? We know that previously injured nervous tissue are significantly more sensitive to mechanical and chemical input than uninsured ones. That being said, would he be at an increased risk for another SCI injury with resultant loss of function as he had before? I know very little about his injury but there’s no reason I can think of that would be the case. I would be shocked if he could ever regain his form though.
whole heartedly agree with you, verbatim

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shazier will never play football again. It is just a simple fact. These are the best athletes in the world with world class speed. His entire playmaking ability was predicated on him being as fast as any player on the field with his ridiculous speed at LB. Loved watching him play for my Buckeyes.

With that said, the only way he returns to football and gets on the field is as a coach. Dude is not playing football anymore. I do hope he makes a near 100% recovery though, as I know 100% will never be possible.

Praying for the best for him.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Shazier wants to find a doctor who will ok him playing football again, I'm sure he can find some..

I'm sure there are also doctors who will think that's crazy.

Celtics fans remember Reggie Lewis. He was found to have heart problems but found a cardiac hotshot who felt he could play again. Reggie did and collapsed and died of a heart attack during practice.

I know. Different situation but it's easy to find doctors who will ok your wishes if you look hard enough.

mrschaney

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't say much for SteelersPride concerning football knowledge, but he does seem to be pretty intelligent when it comes to health and most things medical. If he says he'll play, I have to believe that he will play.