• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great value trade...

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This screams Butler trade, Cain and Gordon aren't moving anywhere with their GG caliber defense. And Beltran was almost certainly offered that contract by the Royals given the timetable.

I have been seeing a lot of talk here about Butler going, or having to go. And, if this is the thought, I hope the basis is financially driven, as that is the only angle that would make sense to me.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been seeing a lot of talk here about Butler going, or having to go. And, if this is the thought, I hope the basis is financially driven, as that is the only angle that would make sense to me.

I have heard a bunch of Rumors speculating that centers around Butler and Franklin from the Mariners. Will be interesting to see if that is horsecrap or if that actually ends up happening with Cano being a possibility still for Seattle.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin is a strikeout artist...not sure if thats a great value, but hey, chicks dig the long ball.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Dutton @TNT_Mariners #Royals GM Dayton Moore on next off-season goal: "We do want to try to get another middle-of-the-order bat."

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard a bunch of Rumors speculating that centers around Butler and Franklin from the Mariners. Will be interesting to see if that is horsecrap or if that actually ends up happening with Cano being a possibility still for Seattle.

But, what is the need to move Butler? Just to be able to fill a different spot or roll on the team? I ask, as I feel they should keep him, and think he would be worth keeping, with the rub then having to pay him. The Royals CAN pay their players. They don't HAVE TO opperate on the cheap, as far as I know.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, what is the need to move Butler? Just to be able to fill a different spot or roll on the team? I ask, as I feel they should keep him, and think he would be worth keeping, with the rub then having to pay him. The Royals CAN pay their players. They don't HAVE TO opperate on the cheap, as far as I know.

Aoki would have to be in the lineup virtually every day as his OBP would demand he be leading off for the Royals who desperately need to move Gordon down in the order where his OPS+ would be much better used. Additionally, Cain and Gordon are not being moved from their respective positions due to their defense.

Furthermore, Beltran projects to be a -20 run downgrade defensively in RF if he started (not going to happen now, point being is he would be a trainwreck compared to last years RF defense). Granted, with Aoki, Beltran is going to be platooned with Aoki. How fun, 48 million for a shiny platoon bat?... now as Butler flat out can't play a position, especially with Hosmer blocking Butler at 1st base it really puts the Royals in a pickle if they choose not to trade Gordon, Cain, Hosmer, or Butler now that they have Aoki and seemingly poised to sign Beltran.

Given that there is a need for a long term solution at 2nd base for the Royals with prospects either being too far away (Mondesi) or being meh prospects to begin with (Colon) and a highly dubious "solution" in Emilio Bonifacio leads one to believe that 2nd base is still a need for the Royals. How can the Royals solve both 2nd base and the potential Beltran/Butler/Aoki headache? The Answer would be to trade Butler to say, the Mariners for Nick Franklin and other particulars for each side. This would give the Royals a bat that Steamer essentially projects to be equal in value currently and would hopefully provide a longterm solution at 2nd base. And if the Royals felt creative, they could use Maxwell to hit for Beltran at DH (again, Beltran signing is an assumption) given his career numbers against LHP compared to Beltran against LHP in 2013. Obviously though, Beltran's 144 WRC+ against RHP will make him useful regardless, but trading Butler has too many benefits to not consider it.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas City Royals @Royals #Royals GM Dayton Moore: "We wanted to acquire a leadoff hitter so we could move Gordo more to the middle of the lineup."

This would tend to support my theory that Aoki is viewed as the everyday leadoff hitter. Which begs the question if Beltran is signed, where does he play?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas City Royals @Royals #Royals GM Dayton Moore: "We wanted to acquire a leadoff hitter so we could move Gordo more to the middle of the lineup."

This would tend to support my theory that Aoki is viewed as the everyday leadoff hitter. Which begs the question if Beltran is signed, where does he play?

My guess is Aoki plays RF and Beltran DH's and Billy Butler gets traded

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the best new, Aoki was already on my largest fantasy league team...too sweet.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice trade for the Royals, don't know much of the guy they traded but seems like a good deal for them.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice trade for the Royals, don't know much of the guy they traded but seems like a good deal for them.

good deal for the Crew as well

this gives Khris Davis a chance at playing everyday

I will miss Aoki-san however

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the pickup of aoki, good move by the royals the brew crew definitely got fistered.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this for KC. Never thought of Gordon as a leadoff man.