• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Round 2: Sharks vs Red Wings

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Our goaltending isn't going to win this series.....But it ain't gonna lose it either.

Good luck Y'all!! Make sure you come on over to the general board for some spirited discussions!! (I've put up with Slim, Filo, and Li0lsh long enough that I could probably deal with the rest of you:lol:)

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Cmon on this one... The Sharks don't have the defense to hang with the Detroit offense in this one. Not even close to being able to hang.

No, but the Sharks do have the offense to hang with Detroit's offense. When it comes to keeping the puck out of the net, Detroit isn't anything special.

I fully expect the Sharks to win this series as the Sharks are the better team. Detroit is good, no doubt about that, but you guys still think this is the elite Red Wings Team of 2008 and before. It's not. The series should be very exciting and I expect some very high scoring games. But the Sharks should prevail in this matchup.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ah but I don't think Babcock will use the Datsyuk line as an offensive weapon against the Sharks' lower lines. Rather I think he'll use the Datsyuk line as a counter to Thornton. Meaning, Babcock will use Datsyuk to contain Thornton's line rather than expose Pav's line. This just in, I'm not a Cup winning coach so who knows.

I rewatched bits of the LA series and I saw what you meant by Pavs being lost in the defensive zone. Maybe lost is a strong word, but he, and that line was not strong defensively in their own zone. Perhaps some of it had to do with the Kings being a big bodied team. DET's third line is biggish too. ugh

I think Babcock will try to match up Datsyuk against Thornton as well. That's what he's done in the past. Against teams with the forward depth of San Jose he's regularly split up Dats and Zetts and I think he'll do that at least to start this series. It will be interesting to see if he does split them up if he tries to match Zetterberg against the Couture line or Pavs line. This is just a guess on my part but I think Zetts will match up against Couture and Helm's line will be the match up against Pavelski. All those match ups favor Detroit IMO.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 1: Friday, April 29 - Detroit at San Jose 7:00 pm PST

Game 2: Sunday, May 1 - Detroit at San Jose 12 pm PST

Game 3: Wednesday, May 4 - San Jose at Detroit 5 pm PST

Game 4: Friday, May 6- San Jose at Detroit 4 pm PST

Game 5*: Sunday, May 8 - Detroit at San Jose

Game 6*: Tuesday, May 10 - San Jose at Detroit

Game 7*: Thursday, May 12 - Detroit at San Jose

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i tend to think this years team is better then last years, but hey this is unusual im not normally this unbeat about a series. I just think its more of a coin flip then a sure fire win for the wings

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 1: Friday, April 29 - Detroit at San Jose 7:00 pm PST

Game 2: Sunday, May 1 - Detroit at San Jose 12 pm PST

Game 3: Wednesday, May 4 - San Jose at Detroit 5 pm PST

Game 4: Friday, May 6- San Jose at Detroit 4 pm PST

Game 5*: Sunday, May 8 - Detroit at San Jose

Game 6*: Tuesday, May 10 - San Jose at Detroit

Game 7*: Thursday, May 12 - Detroit at San Jose

Fuck. That Sunday start time (as expected) is fucking terrible!

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully I'm wrong but I say it will be the Wings in 6 or 7. The only hope I see for the Sharks is for Howard to suck as much as he did last year and for Niemi to get back to playing the way he was down the stretch in the regular season.

One thing's almost for sure - our PK will get lit up by the Wings and it won't even be funny :help:. In terms of who wins the series, it's a coin flip.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No, but the Sharks do have the offense to hang with Detroit's offense. When it comes to keeping the puck out of the net, Detroit isn't anything special.

I fully expect the Sharks to win this series as the Sharks are the better team. Detroit is good, no doubt about that, but you guys still think this is the elite Red Wings Team of 2008 and before. It's not. The series should be very exciting and I expect some very high scoring games. But the Sharks should prevail in this matchup.

Putting pressure on our D while they are breaking the puck out will be the key. Even I'm kind of shocked at how well our first pass has looked in the playoffs so far though.

This isn't the elite teams of the past, but guys like Helm, Applegator, Eaves, Miller are all waay better now than they were then. Our 3rd and 4th lines can be a handful.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it's pretty disapointing that sharks fans or atleast alleged sharks fans dont even give thier team a chance

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's pretty disapointing that sharks fans or atleast alleged sharks fans dont even give thier team a chance

Kork, I think most had hoped for CHI, so when it became DET, most posted reasons why its too bad wasn't CHI. I think once the GDT's start up, you'll get more 'Let's kick those fucking Wing's asses!' and subtle sentiment like that.:whoo:

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eh, I just think Detroit is the better team right now, that's all.

Usually, once you're out of the first round where "anything can happen", better teams end up doing what they're supposed to -- WINNING! </charlie_sheen>

But anyway, go Sharks! Win and stuff!

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck. That Sunday start time (as expected) is fucking terrible!

Yeah no kidding. First, the crowd at the Tank is noticeably more tame in matinee games. I've seen this firsthand. Second, I have to do Sunday errands while intoxicated now. :nono:

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
would've preferred the hawks because it would've been easier. wings are beatable it's just tougher

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I firmly believe that we can beat DET, although we will need to play better than we did at the start of the LA series. I don't think we can afford to go down 2 games as much as the Sharks like to put themselves in that situation.

Niemi is going to need to get his A-game back.. he cannot be looking Nabby-like from this point forward. I like our 2nd and 3rd lines much better this year than last year (although PAV did look fantastic last year) and DET really hasn't changed much. Our D is weaker and playing weaker.. so everything may be a wash and it will boil down to effort and desire.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:whoo:
BELIEVE!!!!

The Sharks will open this series READY TO KICK ASS!!!

I BELIEVE!!!!

This is for all the HATERS out there!
:finger:

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Babcock will try to match up Datsyuk against Thornton as well. That's what he's done in the past. Against teams with the forward depth of San Jose he's regularly split up Dats and Zetts and I think he'll do that at least to start this series. It will be interesting to see if he does split them up if he tries to match Zetterberg against the Couture line or Pavs line. This is just a guess on my part but I think Zetts will match up against Couture and Helm's line will be the match up against Pavelski. All those match ups favor Detroit IMO.

I can buy that. With TMac getting the last change, do you think he will opt for strength on strength as well (Thornton vs Datsyuk, etc), or will he throw any changeups. It's not like the Sharks have a true checking line anyway.

My guess at what TMac will do which may also be what Babcock wants:

Thornton vs Dats
Couture vs Zetts (or Filpulla)
Pavs vs Helm

Then
Demers/Vlasic vs Dats: gotta have the footspeed to keep Dats towards the perimeter. This is the only pairing that may come close to doing that.
Boyle/Murray vs Zetts: Crankshaft vs the Mule
White/Wallin vs Helm