• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Round 2: Sharks vs Red Wings

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some info on the upcoming series:

Regular season meetings
Nov 30 @ SJ: Loss 3-5
Dec 6 @ DET: Win 5-2
Feb 22 @ DET: Win 4-3
March 3 @ SJ: Win 3-1

Red Wings line combos in game 4 vs PHX:
Modano-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Miller-Fillpula-Hudler
Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi
Draper-Helm-Eaves

Lidstrom-Stuart
Rafalski-Ericsson
Kronwall-Salei

Howard

Both Zetterberg and Franzen are expected back for round 2.

I don't think anyone should feel good about this matchup, but who knows. From reading around, it looks as though Game 1 is Friday. That would give the Wings 8 days of rest.

What are the keys to winning this series for the Sharks? If the Sharks lose, what will the Wings have done well to defeat them?

I know some discussion has gone on about this series in the "CHI or DET" thread, but now that we know it's DET, let's discuss it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 days of rest is a long time to just come out hopping in game 1. Maybe they'll be in a slumber. Anyway we are going up against loose five hole Howard. I'm expecting Thornton, Seto, Pavs, and Couture to light him up repeatedly. He played us 3 times this season winning once and losing twice. Goal totals for each game 3, 5, and 4.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
6 or 7 games minimum unless the sharks get to howard early, then maybe 5

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hopefully I'm wrong but I say it will be the Wings in 6 or 7. The only hope I see for the Sharks is for Howard to suck as much as he did last year and for Niemi to get back to playing the way he was down the stretch in the regular season.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think either D corps can handle the others forwards. Both goalies will see high quality shots and extended time in their own zone.

I remember last year in the playoffs, the Sharks Dmen played a very passive style when the DET forwards were rushing up ice. It was annoying to watch because the Sharks continued to allow DET to gain the offensive zone with ease. As if they wanted to prevent the dump in and rely on back pressure from the Sharks forwards to force the hand of the DET forwards. It'll be very interesting to see if Todd does this again.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully I'm wrong but I say it will be the Wings in 6 or 7. The only hope I see for the Sharks is for Howard to suck as much as he did last year and for Niemi to get back to playing the way he was down the stretch in the regular season.

I don't see a reason to believe Howard won't suck like he did last year. He has been average the whole season with a bit of suckage mixed with sprinkles of good play. The Wings offense can mask Howard's deficiencies. However, the Sharks D is going to make the Wings offense look even better than it actually is lol.

Niemi is going to have to play better than in round 1. Sharks need the Niemi from February/March.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
howard is a less athletic slower version of quick with a weak blocker. and thats when he is playing well

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't see a reason to believe Howard won't suck like he did last year. He has been average the whole season with a bit of suckage mixed with sprinkles of good play. The Wings offense can mask Howard's deficiencies. However, the Sharks D is going to make the Wings offense look even better than it actually is lol.

Niemi is going to have to play better than in round 1. Sharks need the Niemi from February/March.

The team in front of him is playing much better than last year. A full years experience will help as well. He may not be great but I don't think he'll come close to being as bad as he was last PO's.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Cmon on this one... The Sharks don't have the defense to hang with the Detroit offense in this one. Not even close to being able to hang.

Yeah, Howard can give up some softies and yeah, the Detroit defense has been guilty of showing their age at times down the stretch in the regular season so the Sharks could surprise and score a few goals here and there, but I don't see the Sharks winning this series.

But yeah, I hope I'm wrong obviously...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The team in front of him is playing much better than last year. A full years experience will help as well. He may not be great but I don't think he'll come close to being as bad as he was last PO's.

I actually think he is going to play worse honestly

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you guys think the Sharks third line will fare in this series and the impact they will have? Last year, a third line of Couture-Manny-Micthell was decent, but nowhere nearly as dynamic as Wellwood/Pavs/Mitchell. I think the pressure they are able to apply will work wonders offensively and keep offensive momentum going.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS. Fuck the Islanders for fucking up the "Nabby vs. Sharks" story line for this series.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How do you guys think the Sharks third line will fare in this series and the impact they will have? Last year, a third line of Couture-Manny-Micthell was decent, but nowhere nearly as dynamic as Wellwood/Pavs/Mitchell. I think the pressure they are able to apply will work wonders offensively and keep offensive momentum going.

I think that will depend on how McLellan and Babcock match up the lines. If McLellan can get Pavs line out against the Miller/Fillpula/Hudler line I think they'll have an effective series. If they are on the ice against the Datsyuk or Cleary lines it could get really ugly really fast.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that will depend on how McLellan and Babcock match up the lines. If McLellan can get Pavs line out against the Miller/Fillpula/Hudler line I think they'll have an effective series. If they are on the ice against the Datsyuk or Cleary lines it could get really ugly really fast.

Ah but I don't think Babcock will use the Datsyuk line as an offensive weapon against the Sharks' lower lines. Rather I think he'll use the Datsyuk line as a counter to Thornton. Meaning, Babcock will use Datsyuk to contain Thornton's line rather than expose Pav's line. This just in, I'm not a Cup winning coach so who knows.

I rewatched bits of the LA series and I saw what you meant by Pavs being lost in the defensive zone. Maybe lost is a strong word, but he, and that line was not strong defensively in their own zone. Perhaps some of it had to do with the Kings being a big bodied team. DET's third line is biggish too. ugh

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS. Fuck the Islanders for fucking up the "Nabby vs. Sharks" story line for this series.

I had thought about this head line too. NHL would love this, so is Nabby . . . . . and the Sharks.

Last edited by a moderator:

koblix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Cmon on this one... The Sharks don't have the defense to hang with the Detroit offense in this one. Not even close to being able to hang.

But yeah, I hope I'm wrong obviously...

I also do not think the Sharks defense can hold up the Wings. We probably have the worst defense in the PO. Our best D Boyle is not 100%, Murray can't shoot, White played a bit different after game 1, Wally is Wally :) ... boy, we need Blake in this series, 10 minutes ice time is all we need.

Go Sharks!!!

Stackem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Ha!! That's freakin hilarious.

As it is, I got a bad feeling about this series. Kings pushed this team right up to the brink with 3 OT's needed to close em out. Detroit is just much better. If the Sharks can play with more consistency front to back (and NOT have the 4 goal meltdowns), we have a shot. If they play hot / cold like they did in round 1... well... we'll get to start all the off season player bickering that everyone enjoy's oh so much. :lol: :grouphug:

And yes Heatler.. you still suck despite your game 6 goal (but thanks for that!!)... :cool:

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to be optimistic but I just have a bad feeling about this..

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to be optimistic but I just have a bad feeling about this..

OMG, Veeeee!!! NOOOOO... I understand us negative people/pessimists having a grim outlook on the series but you too?!

That's like... not good and stuff. Hah!

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I have to say is this is going to be a tough series. But you have to beat good teams to compete for the CUP.

Sounds like some of you have already thrown in the white towel.

BELIEVE!!!! "That's all I'm going to say" BELIEVE!!!!