• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Round 2: (2) Pittsburgh v. (1) Washington

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say you've pretty much put yourself in the same position by telling us this though, even though you didn't reveal the statement.

Well, really it's just the equivalent of saying I just really want my team to win. I'm still not convinced it'll happen.

Of course, even if the Caps lock it up, I guess I can use my thing anyway. I'll just do it more bitterly...

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, really it's just the equivalent of saying I just really want my team to win. I'm still not convinced it'll happen.

Of course, even if the Caps lock it up, I guess I can use my thing anyway. I'll just do it more bitterly...

Never use your thing bitterly. There's always bad consequences when you do that.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why I am jumping in here, but to summarize:
  • Temper tantrum - immature child, and thats OK.
  • Diving - End justifies the means, cuz its MY team
  • Primadonna - Everyone else is, too.

FWIW, that's just blind, homer talk.

He was angry because he thought his season just ended, how is that not acceptable? It's better than throwing a hissy fit because he made a bad play. His wrist went numb, thought he was done...that's license to be a bit angry, yeah? Hell, I stub my toe and throw that kinda hissy fit. There's just not a camera on my every move. Flop? Well, he was indeed high sticked. Just like Oshie when he got hit, it was interference, but his theatrics won the call. Either situation a penalty actually occurred, but the refs love to ignore them unless you draw attention. I don't love it, but who the hell cares when it wins a game? I absolutely don't blame guys when they try to upsell an actual penalty in a situation where not a lot is being called. And I really don't care if I'm labeled a homer, because it's true, I like my team better than other teams. Luckily, I'm not in a position where I need to be impartial. That said, I think I'm generally pretty fair with my "takes".

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twitter is just the worst some times...and fans too. Letangs wife had a miscarriage, so naturally it's time to joke about that.

As a husband whose wife also experienced a miscarriage, I can't believe people would make jokes about something that is very sad. I'm sorry to hear that news pix, I wish all the best to Kris and his wife.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a husband whose wife also experienced a miscarriage, I can't believe people would make jokes about something that is very sad. I'm sorry to hear that news pix, I wish all the best to Kris and his wife.

Yeah, I edited that out of that post because I forgot I wrote it earlier and it wasn't relevant, but it's true. His wife posted this AM that she just lost (assuming just) twins. It's extra rough because many are basically judging her for mentioning it, like it's some taboo. Families heal in different ways, and I think it's admirable and brave as a woman to discuss it openly when able. From a female perspective, there's a feeling of shame that you were somehow unable to carry them, and I can't imagine the feelings. I'm very sorry for your loss, no matter how long ago it was, I can only imagine the struggle.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was angry because he thought his season just ended, how is that not acceptable? It's better than throwing a hissy fit because he made a bad play. His wrist went numb, thought he was done...that's license to be a bit angry, yeah? Hell, I stub my toe and throw that kinda hissy fit. There's just not a camera on my every move. Flop? Well, he was indeed high sticked. Just like Oshie when he got hit, it was interference, but his theatrics won the call. Either situation a penalty actually occurred, but the refs love to ignore them unless you draw attention. I don't love it, but who the hell cares when it wins a game? I absolutely don't blame guys when they try to upsell an actual penalty in a situation where not a lot is being called. And I really don't care if I'm labeled a homer, because it's true, I like my team better than other teams. Luckily, I'm not in a position where I need to be impartial. That said, I think I'm generally pretty fair with my "takes".

I agree you are pretty fair. We are all "homers" as I used the term when it is our team. You are right, when it is our team, we do not have to be impartial.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree you are pretty fair. We are all "homers" as I used the term when it is our team. You are right, when it is our team, we do not have to be impartial.

There are absolutely moments I struggle with impartiality, because damnit I want them to win. Overall I don't struggle liking Sid or justifying his less stellar moments because he's genuinely a good human being. I'd rather a guy on my team who may employ "gamesmenship" (i.e. drawing a call with some theatrics) but is generally speaking a good guy and doesn't do dirty crap (punch in the nads, I know) than an asshole like some other stars *coughKANEcough*.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The temper tantrum doesn't bug me because that's pretty typical for an athlete who thinks they may have just had their season ended. After the game he said he's fine with the slash because it happens a million times a game, just happened to hit him in a worrisome spot. The flop? Well...it drew a penalty with three minutes left in a tie game. So that won't bug me much, except that it's a moot point with the Pens PP right now. Overall, he's really not much more of a primadonna than any other star in the league. I'd loathe playing against him and absolutely get why other fan bases are annoyed by him, though. And Daley has been an absolute champ. He stepped up last night and played more minutes than he probably ever has. Guy had 20 in two periods. Also he's just so happy.

That's all I was looking for. Just an acknowledgement of why the stigma is out there instead of, as scoutyjones so eloquently put it "haters gonna hate". Like an absolute refusal to accept that, just maybe, there's a little truth in other team's gripes.

It's frustrating to see the other side, a player who has only moderate talent but goes out there and guts himself for 60 minutes and you see Crosby and Ovechkin (and <insert almost any star name here>) and think "FUUUUCK, if they only played like that, how awesome would it be?

Then you are a whiner and a crybaby. :P

Well, I have to be impartial because my team sucks and has no stars.

There are absolutely moments I struggle with impartiality, because damnit I want them to win. Overall I don't struggle liking Sid or justifying his less stellar moments because he's genuinely a good human being. I'd rather a guy on my team who may employ "gamesmenship" (i.e. drawing a call with some theatrics) but is generally speaking a good guy and doesn't do dirty crap (punch in the nads, I know) than an asshole like some other stars *coughKANEcough*.

Oh, don't get me started on THAT fanbase and their refusal to admit what that little prick really is.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you're doing good things when #4 pays attention. Also love how Rutherford casually name drops Orr. "My friend". Jim, we know who that is, it's not a buddy from the bar back home. "Yeah, my friend Bob, from Parry Sound, he loved this guy. Told me to get him."

daley.png
Pens' D-men step up in Letang's absence

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I edited that out of that post because I forgot I wrote it earlier and it wasn't relevant, but it's true. His wife posted this AM that she just lost (assuming just) twins. It's extra rough because many are basically judging her for mentioning it, like it's some taboo. Families heal in different ways, and I think it's admirable and brave as a woman to discuss it openly when able. From a female perspective, there's a feeling of shame that you were somehow unable to carry them, and I can't imagine the feelings. I'm very sorry for your loss, no matter how long ago it was, I can only imagine the struggle.

It's funny, it was about 15 years ago and of course at that time it was very sad. My eldest daughter was about 3 years old and we were looking to add a brother or sister for her to boss around. Fortunately, we were blessed with a second daughter shortly afterwards and I consider myself very lucky to have two great daughters that are happy, vibrant, and healthy young women.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all I was looking for. Just an acknowledgement of why the stigma is out there instead of, as scoutyjones so eloquently put it "haters gonna hate". It's frustrating to see the other side, a player who has only moderate talent but goes out there and guts himself for 60 minutes and you see Crosby and Ovechkin (and <insert almost any star name here>) and think "FUUUUCK, if they only played like that, how awesome would it be?

Then you are a whiner and a crybaby. :P

Well, I have to be impartial because my team sucks and has no stars.

Oh, don't get me started on THAT fanbase and their refusal to admit what that little prick really is.

I'd argue that Sid is the hardest working star in the league. That's debatable, but he's not a pure finesse guy. When he's at his best, he's mucking it. He's forechecking like hell, and making guys look dumb while he rags the puck around the net.

Yes, I am indeed a giant baby. Although I've learned recently I actually have a solid pain tolerance, but...I do whine and get pretty pitiful. Seriously, when I get a headache I just want pity.

And on the Hawks, I will say I've seen some pretty solid fans essentially abandon the team because of it. I respect the hell out of that, because it'd be *very* hard, no matter how despicable. I should know, I'm a Steelers fan. But what I don't do is run about pretending the guy is innocent or slut shaming some girl we know zero about. Heck, with them, it's their protection of Ross that pisses me off more. Some no name jackass that actually did what he's accused of, but was only saved by a difference in state law...you're going to protect HIM?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you're doing good things when #4 pays attention. Also love how Rutherford casually name drops Orr. "My friend". Jim, we know who that is, it's not a buddy from the bar back home. "Yeah, my friend Bob, from Parry Sound, he loved this guy. Told me to get him."

View attachment 114791
Pens' D-men step up in Letang's absence

Anyone want to guess which agency represents Daley? :wink:

Call me crazy, but while his praise may have been 100% sincere I wouldn't expect Bobby to say anything different about one of his clients anyway.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone want to guess which agency represents Daley? :wink:

Call me crazy, but while his praise may have been 100% sincere I wouldn't expect Bobby to say anything different about one of his clients anyway.

Haha, didn't realize that.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to hear you have been through it too. We have lost 2 and the last one was 16 weeks in. Pretty tough thing to go from such a high to and immediate low like it causes. Some people don't understand but I usually write is off because I have said shit I shouldn't have many times and didn't consider who I could have hurt by being insensitive. Maybe that's just how I deal with it so I don't get pissed?

Anyway....uh... Go Pens!:noidea:

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was supposed to be the Caps year. What will the excuse be for not getting it done if they lose one more game to Pittsburgh?

There aren't excuses. The penguins have played better than we have. It's as simple as that and it is probably the hardest thing for fans of any team to accept when its true.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There aren't excuses. The penguins have played better than we have. It's as simple as that and it is probably the hardest thing for fans of any team to accept when its true.

The two teams are pretty evenly matched, really. The Pens just got off to an abysmal start this year. I might be biased, but if the Caps do lose to the Pens, it's not really a case of choking against an inferior team. These are the two best teams in the East, neither should feel shame if they lose to the other.