• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Round 2: (2) Pittsburgh v. (1) Washington

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was quite a unit of entertainment. I hesitate to call it a hockey game, though. A few thoughts;

1) Do Pens fans really not see why the a large portion of the rest of the league thinks Crosby is a whiny little shit? I get that you want the bravado and the opportunity to say "suck it haters, you jes' jelly", but to throw a tantrum like that after that love tap from Ovi shows a lot about him (especially in light of harder dirty shots others took). Seriously, if one of my bantam age kids hit me like that in practice, I would laugh at them and tell them to hit the gym. Then the flop in the third period. It's annoying because he is an immense talent. He doesn't HAVE to do that shit.

2) Conversely, OV needs to just keep an extra supply of batteries in his pocket. So many times his controller disconnected. If either one would just fucking play every shift the way someone like Joel Ward does...

3) After the end of the third I asked my son what he thought of Matt Murray. He said "his best weapon is the other team isn't getting good shots off. " Thought about it, he's kind of right. On most of the "unbelievable saves" he made, the shots weren't that great - bouncing pucks, sticks in lanes, off balance shooters. For example, if Oshie isn't on one knee he buries that and laughs like the smug bastard he is. Murray was off center, falling forward and off his skates. Murray's puck tracking is a bit wonky too. He follows with his neck, and his shoulders take a moment to catch up. I will just say he's damn lucky to have that mobile D in front of him. And that the games are so tightly checked. A run and gun game, I feel like he'd get torched.

4) I fucking love Daley. Like seriously, will you trade him to us?
I try to not be a homer when criticizing my teams because when it all comes down to it, I am a fan of the team and not as much as the guy who is wearing the jersey for a certain amount of time. I don't think the tantrum was a big deal and since it wasn't out in the open, there is some merit there. The kid was frustrated. I totally get why Crosby is seen as a whiner or a crybaby but I also know he isn't as bad as he was earlier in his career and I also know people have to find something they don't like about the player who is better than the rest and not on their team. Personally, other than cheap shots, I don't worry much about what anyone thinks about a player on my team if he is helping the team win games. There are way more positive contributions to hockey in Sid's game than negative. I think his negatives are leaned on by many because they are pissed off of his success in general. I guess I don't understand why it matters if the Pens fans agree or not if Crosby is a whiner?

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two teams are pretty evenly matched, really. The Pens just got off to an abysmal start this year. I might be biased, but if the Caps do lose to the Pens, it's not really a case of choking against an inferior team. These are the two best teams in the East, neither should feel shame if they lose to the other.

I don't think it is chocking either, but that'll be the narrative everyone uses.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's worse, is it's a self-written narrative. Everyone in DC expects it, so any loss is a choke job.
Any Presidents trophy winner who doesn't win the cup is always a choker according to most. For some reason it doesn't matter about what actually happens in the playoff games.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the Pens win game 5, this has been a really tight playoff series. Long stretches of really good hockey, long stretches of teams taking each other out of their games, both goalies bailing their own teams out when that happens. It's pretty clear these two teams are on even footing in terms of talent.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any Presidents trophy winner who doesn't win the cup is always a choker according to most. For some reason it doesn't matter about what actually happens in the playoff games.

Rarely does the "best" team win the cup. It's the nature of hockey. Teams get hot at the right time of year and are able to avoid injuries, get unexpected production out of certain players, get good goaltending, the right puck luck at the right time, etc. There are so many more factors into winning the cup than just being "the best team". Alas, the Caps have choked in the past and every season without a cup will be seen as such until they win one.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rarely does the "best" team win the cup. It's the nature of hockey. Teams get hot at the right time of year and are able to avoid injuries, get unexpected production out of certain players, get good goaltending, the right puck luck at the right time, etc. There are so many more factors into winning the cup than just being "the best team". Alas, the Caps have choked in the past and every season without a cup will be seen as such until they win one.

Oh, we know all about this. Heck, when the Pens have actually won the Cup, they weren't the best team. Twice they had second half runs to get into the playoffs and stayed hot. Then there's '93, possibly one of the greatest assemblies of talent ever...nada. Also the avoiding injuries thing. Since the Pens won in 09 they've had just an atrocious run of health. Not that I'm convinced they would've won another if healthy, but Sid was doing unreal things pre-concussion. Soooo many things have to break your way. There's a lot of talk about luck right now, and I get it...because the Pens vs BOS in the ECF and vs NYR two years ago were ripe with this. But goalies just ruined life.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, we know all about this. Heck, when the Pens have actually won the Cup, they weren't the best team. Twice they had second half runs to get into the playoffs and stayed hot. Then there's '93, possibly one of the greatest assemblies of talent ever...nada. Also the avoiding injuries thing. Since the Pens won in 09 they've had just an atrocious run of health. Not that I'm convinced they would've won another if healthy, but Sid was doing unreal things pre-concussion. Soooo many things have to break your way. There's a lot of talk about luck right now, and I get it...because the Pens vs BOS in the ECF and vs NYR two years ago were ripe with this. But goalies just ruined life.
Uggh The Pitt/Boston EFC series:puke:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is chocking either, but that'll be the narrative everyone uses.

Even if the Caps somehow pull it off, even that isn't a choke the other way. Two very deep, talented and very well coached teams beating up on each other. One or two bounces another way and this series could be 3-1 the other way.

This is the best series of the playoffs this year, and hard to expect it was going to be anything else.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I'm super happy with where the Pens are, and with Letang coming back, I'm not writing off the Caps just yet. Pens have been on both sides of the 3-1 comeback, but more recently the depressing side (2014 against the Rangers and a few years earlier against Tamba Bay). In general, I like this team more than those teams; I think they are more resilient and better coached.

Caps have all the tools to come back, starting with great goaltending, overall sound defense and a deep forward group. You could easily see Holtby stealing a game, or their powerplay coming alive, and suddenly it's Game 7.

Would honestly just prefer if the Pens make this easy and end it Saturday in a blowout. :D

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens were only 1 goal from the sweep if not for the Caps winning game 1 in OT. That's weird.

I still expect this series to go 7 games unless the Pens can finally play to their potential and end the series.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing like kicking a guy when he's down. Thanks, WW. Real pal you are.

I didn't want to post that after Pitt closed it out...that would have been a douche move.

It's a fine line between being an asshole and being a classhole. I went the classhole route. :D

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geez the Washington media have become rather pitiful.

If you get emotionally invested in a playoff hockey team, you’re a masochist

Yes, there's luck involved. Pretty sure every team to ever win has had luck help them at some point. I'm also pretty sure fans know this. Between this article and the one yesterday that called pretty much every Pens goal lucky, they've gone into full whine mode. The series isn't over, no need to write it off. And if you want to call goals like the Fehr one in game 2 lucky, then you don't watch the sport enough.

Edit: other article referenced Penguins continue to be more lucky than good against the Capitals