• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rose Bowl: Ohio St. is going down!

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm an Ohio State fan. Rooting for other teams in your conference to win, even though the goal is to beat every team in your conference (on your schedule is the goal), seems pointless. It is just an excuse to prop up your conference bc your favorite team isn't good enough in that said conference.

There is a difference between rooting and then bragging though. You can root for your conference bc you don't like the other teams or conference they are playing and leave it at that but when you start rubbing it in how "our conference is better than ours" when your team finished 10th in the Big Ten...it seems pointless.
IMO, the answer is somewhere in the middle.

For a team like Ohio St., Alabama, Clemson, OU, etc. it is good for the other teams in the conference to step up and perform well on the national stage, because it helps with their power rating as they fight for a Playoff berth amongst equals and playing in a dud conference is bad for their business.

On the other end of the spectrum for teams like Indiana, Ole Miss, Wake Forest, Iowa State, etc. they need as many teams as possible to be down to help them climb up the success ladder while they try to establish their programs in a tough neighborhood.

So, as an Alabama fan, I don't mind the other teams in the SEC doing well against other teams (as long as they lose to 'Bama), but as an Iowa State fan, I don't mind the top teams struggling a bit to give the Cyclones a chance to win games and succeed.

Either way, I don't honk either conference. At the end of the day, it comes down to Team A against Team B, and I just root for which team I like better unless a win or loss by one of the teams makes a difference in the W-L standings.