• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roquan Smith Requesting Trade

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't agree with this. There is a reason CB is considered one of the premium positions in the league no matter the scheme. Some teams still prioritize the Off-Ball LB, but with most schemes going the way of the Fangio scheme they are figuring out that they can get away with even below average LB's in the middle. Heck look at the starting LB's for LA last year and that defense was just fine.

Throw in teams are seeing that rarely does a LB live up to the contract. They are becoming like the RB of use them while on the rookie contract and then let them walk if they want big money. Health and just actual value they bring to the field just do not add up to paying big time for the position. There are exceptions every once in a while like I would pay Fred Warner if he were available and Smith is borderline that kind of conversation, but at this point I would stick with what I have offered if I am the Bears otherwise get what you can for him.
Maybe it's not the best comparison but getting rid of young talent sends a really bad message imo.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's not the best comparison but getting rid of young talent sends a really bad message imo.

I would agree with the bad message. He has performed at a level that deserves top of the position type money and by not paying him it could do some damage within that locker room of why perform well for this team other than fighting to get a contract somewhere else. I would agree with your other comment of then why draft him and shows once again why you shouldn't draft non-premium positions early in the draft. Sets you up that even when they play great it doesn't always equal the greatest value.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with the bad message. He has performed at a level that deserves top of the position type money and by not paying him it could do some damage within that locker room of why perform well for this team other than fighting to get a contract somewhere else. I would agree with your other comment of then why draft him and shows once again why you shouldn't draft non-premium positions early in the draft. Sets you up that even when they play great it doesn't always equal the greatest value.
Yeah, it's weird how Kolton Miller looked like a reach at the time but he'll end up being the smarter pick. Get your QBs, OTs and pass rushers top 10. Get the other players later on and if you find QBs, OTs and pass rushers then you won't be picking top 10 very often so it's a self correcting issue.

But I'd expect the Lions to extend TJ Hockensen who has low positional value on a non contending team and was also pick #8.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's weird how Kolton Miller looked like a reach at the time but he'll end up being the smarter pick. Get your QBs, OTs and pass rushers top 10. Get the other players later on and if you find QBs, OTs and pass rushers then you won't be picking top 10 very often so it's a self correcting issue.

But I'd expect the Lions to extend TJ Hockensen who has low positional value on a non contending team and was also pick #8.

I would expect that too, but the Lions are also helped by the fact the TE market hasn't gone crazy like that of LB/WR. So I think you can still get value from that contract. It is one of the few positions I would say the market makes sense for what the players bring to the table.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would expect that too, but the Lions are also helped by the fact the TE market hasn't gone crazy like that of LB/WR. So I think you can still get value from that contract. It is one of the few positions I would say the market makes sense for what the players bring to the table.
Yeah, TE market should have value until Kyle Pitts likely breaks it

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the first pick the Bears select.... an ebt card

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure what to think about this. Smith has every right to be disappointed, but I don't think a public trade demand is the best answer. While I do think the Bears are a cheap as franchises go, they're not really known as an underpaying team. I don't believe the Bears could get enough value in draft picks to trade him, but at the same time it might not be the worst thing in the world to pay the man top ILB money. He has played up to the top ILB players the last couple years, but I'm not sure that he stays on the field for all 3 downs, which the very best ILBs do. In the end, they need to actually communicate in an honest fashion and work something out before it becomes a real shit show.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got his trade. Best I can tell, Roquan Smith actually hasnt played all that great this year so this should be interesting one way or another

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ravens acquired LB Roquan Smith from the Bears in exchange for a second and fifth-round pick.​

The Bears have now traded a key member of their defense in back-to-back weeks, after trading defensive end Robert Quinn to the Eagles last week. Smith, has appeared in all eight games for the Bears this season, totaling 83 tackles, four TFLs and 2.5 sacks. The former No. 8 overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft is a two-time Second-team All-Pro (2020, 2021) and is in the final year of his rookie contract. Baltimore will likely look to re-sign Smith next offseason, but will also need to work out a long-overdue deal with quarterback Lamar Jackson.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that for whatever number of reasons, the Bears and Smith were not coming to terms on an extension. He was my favorite Bear, so naturally I'm bummed, but it was obvious to us Bear diehards that he and the team were at an impasse, and since we're going absolutely nowhere this year, why not get as much as we can. A 2nd and a 5th is not all that bad under the circumstances. And if the Ravens can work out a long term deal for Smith, bully for them and him.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears are a poverty franchise at this point, on a road to nowhere in an endless rebuilding job.

That said there was too much water under the bridge with Smith and they had little choice but to trade him as they seek to change the chemistry on the team.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ravens acquired LB Roquan Smith from the Bears in exchange for a second and fifth-round pick.​

The Bears have now traded a key member of their defense in back-to-back weeks, after trading defensive end Robert Quinn to the Eagles last week. Smith, has appeared in all eight games for the Bears this season, totaling 83 tackles, four TFLs and 2.5 sacks. The former No. 8 overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft is a two-time Second-team All-Pro (2020, 2021) and is in the final year of his rookie contract. Baltimore will likely look to re-sign Smith next offseason, but will also need to work out a long-overdue deal with quarterback Lamar Jackson.
The tank is on in Chicago.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shitty franchise and a shitty town.

I am still amazed I waste my time with these bozos.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before they traded Quinn and Smith.
yeah. maybe Smith was crying because Quinn got traded & Smith had to stay.
Now that he is going where Linebackers go to be all pros, he can smile.

Must suck to be a bears fan right now. (well more than normal)

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah. maybe Smith was crying because Quinn got traded & Smith had to stay.
Now that he is going where Linebackers go to be all pros, he can smile.

Must suck to be a bears fan right now. (well more than normal)
The Bears suck, but you do realize the history of Bears linebackers, right?