• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ropers post game 2 weeks of bliss !

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My pops wanted to be an aviator more than life itself. He adored and was extremely proud of his time served with the Navy in his 20s and was the kind of man who taught my bro and I every word to ‘Anchors Away’ (as well as all other military songs) as early as I can remember, heh.

Sadly, he had contracted mumps at 7 and had a 70% hearing loss in one ear as a result. He was so dogged in his ambition tho, that he managed to pass (with some female inside help, lol) the hearing requirements that enabled him to enter the flight training program down in Pensacola.

He was caught out, just short of graduation, with a freak accident on the runway where he and his copilot ended up with a fire in the cockpit...they were both transported to the ER and the Navy learned of his hearing issues. Nuff said, his pilot dreams ended there, much to his chagrin. Shortly thereafter he transitioned to a career in the Foreign Service with AID and memories of what could have been always brought a smile.

He envied the careers of those who were able to fulfill their dreams in the Sky...so I get completely exactly what you are saying.

Mad respect to you.

and of course to my pops who was an amazing father and public servant. May he rest in power.

Mad props to your father, who you describe as an amazing father, because at the end of the day, that is the only job that matters. I hope my son can describe me the same way when it is all said and done.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said it wasn’t a good living and in terms of job, it is a good one. I said the military flying was awesome. In comparison, civilian piloting is quite boring and comparable to driving a taxi or bus.

Some of the most fun flying you can do in replenishment...especially if the boats are in CONREP position.

I threw the term out there because at 22, wings of gold was the goal.
You got me there gk. I don't think flying for Southwest was anything like flying an F-14 at the speed of sound and then some ... 50 feet off the water. It certainly wasn't like being launched off of or landing on a carrier. One pilot did have a photo of a commercial jet on final approach to a carrier. The things you can do with Photoshop. I did ask of the pilots not long ago if he was ever tempted to do a barrel roll. He laughed and said "well I did bank her a few times 30 degrees. LOL

Watching the helo's when we were getting supplies at sea was cool. It was like a ballet. The supply ship pulled near us and it going back and forth between ships getting a new load then dropping it on the carrier.

I did not fly except for landing on a carrier in a C-1 one time. That was very cool. I begged to fly in the back seat of a Tomcat because I could run the electronics but they wouldn't let us back then. I didn't like school enough to get my degree so no wings of gold for me. Just worked on the electronics.

Anyhow, props to you and Cali's dad.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got me there gk. I don't think flying for Southwest was anything like flying an F-14 at the speed of sound and then some ... 50 feet off the water. It certainly wasn't like being launched off of or landing on a carrier. One pilot did have a photo of a commercial jet on final approach to a carrier. The things you can do with Photoshop. I did ask of the pilots not long ago if he was ever tempted to do a barrel roll. He laughed and said "well I did bank her a few times 30 degrees. LOL

Watching the helo's when we were getting supplies at sea was cool. It was like a ballet. The supply ship pulled near us and it going back and forth between ships getting a new load then dropping it on the carrier.

I did not fly except for landing on a carrier in a C-1 one time. That was very cool. I begged to fly in the back seat of a Tomcat because I could run the electronics but they wouldn't let us back then. I didn't like school enough to get my degree so no wings of gold for me. Just worked on the electronics.

Anyhow, props to you and Cali's dad.

Yeah...they limit us to 30 degrees angle of bank as well...for passenger comfort. I will say it is a lot safer flying these days because of those rules. I heard about some of the stuff they used to do in the civilian hello world...no thank you.

Yeah, that is CONREP position if the supply boat was attached and sliding things on cables. I was actually on a LHD, or as I called it a baby carrier.

Well, I will say this. You avionics guys are the only reason we can fly these days. I don’t have the patience to trace the trons like you guys. So thank you.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...they limit us to 30 degrees angle of bank as well...for passenger comfort. I will say it is a lot safer flying these days because of those rules. I heard about some of the stuff they used to do in the civilian hello world...no thank you.

Yeah, that is CONREP position if the supply boat was attached and sliding things on cables. I was actually on a LHD, or as I called it a baby carrier.

Well, I will say this. You avionics guys are the only reason we can fly these days. I don’t have the patience to trace the trons like you guys. So thank you.
Yep, I am familiar with LHDs. They tied up a pier or two away from us and of course I saw them at sea.

It was hard to beat working on weapon systems and being a final checker on the flight deck. Best job I ever had.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I am familiar with LHDs. They tied up a pier or two away from us and of course I saw them at sea.

It was hard to beat working on weapon systems and being a final checker on the flight deck. Best job I ever had.
Dang, never realized we had so many on this board with fascinating military backgrounds. No wonder this board is the best. I salute y’all and thank you for your service.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only would that be embarrassing. Wouldn't it totally warp where we'd pick in the draft?
absolutely , we would be picking at 18 as opposed to top 10

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3