• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Romo plan

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think it is - meaning how much longer do you see him playing. ? He is 34 soon. You guys that know the cap - what is the best case scenario. 2 yrs or 3yrs or longer

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no cap expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but Romo's time is dependent on his success.

In other words, if the Cowboys begin making the playoffs regularly, he will be kept. Jerry might ask him to consider taking a paycut so they could bring a few more guys to get over the hump (remember, we are talking about hypothetical playoff appearances - I'm not saying we are close to the hump), and he might consider if he thought it would finally get the monkey off his back.

On the other hand, two more 8-8 seasons and he's done, except as a backup on another team.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At his age you have ti wonder if he can make it through a couple more seasogns. He has taken a beating since 2010. Now the OL is improving so maybe he can play longer. Part of the problem is the offense is so pass happy and the opposing defenses know it.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say he will definitely be (again barring major injuries) our starter for the 2014, 2015, & 2016 seasons. if he hasn't eroded I think he could play out the majority of his contract why we start grooming his replacement.

If he has eroded by the end of 16' then I don't know what the cap hit is by then, but think we have to look for a change.

Either way no way we start grooming a replacement this year. The guy will be leaving the team by the time the Cowboys can cut Romo.
Don't think drafting a QB for grooming will be a realistic topic til next year at the earliest.
Now we might get one to groom as a serial back up (to replace Orton) this year.
but 2017 at the earliest will be the 1st year to consider us having a different starting QB.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we could preserve Romo for another 4-5 years by continuing to upgrade the OL and running game, and increasing our percentage of running plays to nearly 50%. He has taken a beating the last couple of years, with the broken ribs, punctured lung and now his back. Then there's the added bonus that it would shorten the games, keep our defense of the field, and we would probably win more games. Denver didn't go on a run when they had Tebow because he was a great QB. He was one of the worst ever. The style of play is ugly but effective

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we could preserve Romo for another 4-5 years by continuing to upgrade the OL and running game, and increasing our percentage of running plays to nearly 50%. He has taken a beating the last couple of years, with the broken ribs, punctured lung and now his back. Then there's the added bonus that it would shorten the games, keep our defense of the field, and we would probably win more games. Denver didn't go on a run when they had Tebow because he was a great QB. He was one of the worst ever. The style of play is ugly but effective

I know a lot on here don't want to hear this, but Romo could play quality QB to 40 yrs old, if we don't break him. LOL.
I do think though once his elusiveness starts to go, his effectiveness will start to go. But in the right offense, he would still be decent.

He really is the biggest wild card we have on the team. I could see romo going in either direction in the next three years.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years

This year and 2015 and I think it's good bye ( minus a Superbowl) which I dont see ( this year no way)

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years

This year and 2015 and I think it's good bye ( minus a Superbowl) which I dont see ( this year no way)

I think you're right. There's no way I can see him around for the duration of that contract.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're right. There's no way I can see him around for the duration of that contract.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if Jerry's plan was to let Romo go after this year, QB would have to be on the table from round 1 on if the right value guy were there. As Twist said, we aren't making the Super Bowl this year, so in that scenario, the next year would be all or nothing for Romo. By then Romo is 35 and Witten is another year older. Jimmy Garoppolo in the 2nd round would make sense to me, if they plan on letting Romo work towards the Sr Tour while he's still in his mid 30's

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying you're wrong, but if Jerry's plan was to let Romo go after this year, QB would have to be on the table from round 1 on if the right value guy were there. As Twist said, we aren't making the Super Bowl this year, so in that scenario, the next year would be all or nothing for Romo. By then Romo is 35 and Witten is another year older. Jimmy Garoppolo in the 2nd round would make sense to me, if they plan on letting Romo work towards the Sr Tour while he's still in his mid 30's

Or you let him play 2 years .... and see where this team is as far as getting younger.....

and with Jerry Bring in a washed up Vet ( remember Bledsoe and Vinny) or go crap for a year and Get a top Qb ( aka Troy)

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or you let him play 2 years .... and see where this team is as far as getting younger.....

and with Jerry Bring in a washed up Vet ( remember Bledsoe and Vinny) or go crap for a year and Get a top Qb ( aka Troy)

I guess that's what worries me, Jerry trying to find a QB. The Aikman pick, #1 overall, you or I could have done that. I remember Jerry's attempts at finding a QB...The Immortal Q, Drew Henson, Vinny, Bledsoe....Romo was a pot luck UFA. If anyone had wasted a 7th on Romo, we might be in Year Two of the Tyler Wilson Experience :boom:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say start this year looking for a QB in round 5+. Then next year if you don't see something in practice you look in rounds 3-4 next year. Then if you don't hit on someone serviceable you look at a round 1 or 2 QB in 3 years.

My rationale is that a later round guy that looks promising could be good with 2 years of observing. A mid round guy having one year on the bench would be helpful, and then in 3 years you will need someone ready to step in and take the reigns. I think Tony has at best 3 years, so assuming he stays healthy I'd expect to see him here through the 2016 season.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say start this year looking for a QB in round 5+. Then next year if you don't see something in practice you look in rounds 3-4 next year. Then if you don't hit on someone serviceable you look at a round 1 or 2 QB in 3 years.

My rationale is that a later round guy that looks promising could be good with 2 years of observing. A mid round guy having one year on the bench would be helpful, and then in 3 years you will need someone ready to step in and take the reigns. I think Tony has at best 3 years, so assuming he stays healthy I'd expect to see him here through the 2016 season.

Best case scenario in round 5 to me would be Aaron Murray

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can cut him Witten and Carr outright to save 11MM on space come 2015 with not dead money in 2016 which creates another 26.5MM that season. Knowing this if we don't make the playoffs, I cut them and start fresh with a coach like Harbaugh, Dungy, Chucky, or Cowhere. If you keep him though you have a near 28MM cap hit in 2015 do you restructure it or keep it the same? Like I said anything short of playoffs I'm done with it, it's pointless to pay a QB 20MM a season just to miss the playoffs every year. Unlike Ware if Romo has a good year you may be able to trade him and get a low pick considering a team could cut him at no cost once traded and a team like the Raiders might do it, hell they may give us a 1 lol.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can cut him Witten and Carr outright to save 11MM on space come 2015 with not dead money in 2016 which creates another 26.5MM that season. Knowing this if we don't make the playoffs, I cut them and start fresh with a coach like Harbaugh, Dungy, Chucky, or Cowhere. If you keep him though you have a near 28MM cap hit in 2015 do you restructure it or keep it the same? Like I said anything short of playoffs I'm done with it, it's pointless to pay a QB 20MM a season just to miss the playoffs every year. Unlike Ware if Romo has a good year you may be able to trade him and get a low pick considering a team could cut him at no cost once traded and a team like the Raiders might do it, hell they may give us a 1 lol.

See thats my line of thinking .... I think we walk into 2016 looking totally different

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who would have dreamed that this could be a farewell season for Romo and Witten?

Don't know what Jerry is thinking but I hate to back to the days of the QB merry go round with all those scrubs that played here. But with the contract Romo has you just cant pay 20 mill plus for 8-8 or 9-7 and not make the playoffs. I want my cowboys out of cap jail and Maybe Jerry has finally seen the light.

I wont hold my breath but its almost spring when everything starts to grow again with warm breezes Women in short skirts and the Cowboys...........

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See thats my line of thinking .... I think we walk into 2016 looking totally different

I say it all depends on this season bro, if we finish a game away from winning the division I think Jerry keeps hope, so I just pray that if we don't make the playoffs we finish 4-12 and Jerry says fuck it and blows it up.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would have dreamed that this could be a farewell season for Romo and Witten?

Don't know what Jerry is thinking but I hate to back to the days of the QB merry go round with all those scrubs that played here. But with the contract Romo has you just cant pay 20 mill plus for 8-8 or 9-7 and not make the playoffs. I want my cowboys out of cap jail and Maybe Jerry has finally seen the light.

I wont hold my breath but its almost spring when everything starts to grow again with warm breezes Women in short skirts and the Cowboys...........

This team will be out of cap hell starting next season no matter if Romo and co are here or not, just won't have a ton of money if they are here. Won't need to restructure any contracts next year, the Ware cut was more so for next year not so much this year.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see that at all with either guy. If you said next year I think it makes for a better discussion, but am not sure about that either. Witten is still playing at a high level and is a much more cap friendly hit in 2016 than 2015. Romo's dead money going into next year is $30M and I think will go to $37.5M if he is on the team by the end of the day today - he will be. Plus we need another QB or two by then. If that were an option right now we wouldn't have restructured as much of his contract as we did. That restructure was done with more than one year in mind.