• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rolando McClain

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His football knowledge was superior back in his Alabama days. Did you watch any of his college games? I'm shocked that anyone could call him overrated. I know that doesn't change his shaky NFL career, but stilL... Kind of hard for any player to be overrated and play for Nick Saban.

That last sentence is wow, just wow.

Last edited by a moderator:

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

The hype that surrounded his draft stock which I did not agree with at the time.

At the time I honestly thought the pick had a lot to do with Patrick Willis' success (and I'm not saying that because I'm a Niner fan)...

And if you listened to Raida fans at the time, McClaine was going be far supior in a matter of no time... lol

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for ILBs. 3cone & agility drills? Sure. Broad jump? Yeah. The 40 time isn't a huge deal for ILBs.

Oh, and I didn't have to go back very far. Luke Keuchly ran a 4.58 at 237 pounds. That's not very fast either.

And Joe Haden was drafted a pick BEFORE McClain, and he ran a 4.58 at 193 pounds in a position where a 40 time is huge.

Are you drunk? You are comparing 4.58 to 4.7? holy shit.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude was a stud in college on one of the better defenses at the time. Not sure what you've been watching.

Just because you are a stud in college doesn't necessarily mean that you become a stud in the pros. The measurables weren't there and that defense had like 6 1st rounders on it so that would make ALL of them look good. The true litmus test is how those guys are all doing in the pros. McClain, Fitz, Cody, etc. Maybe the collective athleticism was good enough to win an NCAA Championship, but that surely doesn't translate to being stud individual players in the NFL.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the time I honestly thought the pick had a lot to do with Patrick Willis' success (and I'm not saying that because I'm a Niner fan)...

And if you listened to Raida fans at the time, McClaine was going be far supior in a matter of no time... lol

God the Raider fan hype on that pick was hilarious.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record Kuechly ran a 4.5 on his first attempt.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And for the record Kuechly ran a 4.5 on his first attempt.

I'm with you on this Ray. The difference between 4.5 and 4.7 in the NFL is between making a tackle vs. helping your teammate that made the tackle up off the turf.

Anyone who thought that McClain was a great top 10 pick is seeing the draft through Roll Tide-Colored glasses. McClain was a marginal first rounder at best with exceptional smarts to go with pedestrian measurables at a position of minimal 1st round draft importance....meaning that in order to be drafted in the 1st as an ILB, people need to think you are the second coming of Lewis or Willis.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4.58 at 237 pounds is pretty comparable to 4.7 at 254 pounds.

Weight is 7.12% higher; time is 2.62% higher.

Kuechly ran the 4.58 on his third attempt after pulling up lame on his 2nd attempt. At least do a little googling. Kuechly ran a 4.5 first attempt. And AGAIN, McClain ran at 249 lbs at his Pro Day with Jesus Saban blowing on his back.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ok, I'll take your word for it. I did "a little googling," but you clearly have a more reliable source. Or do you?

For the record, I wouldn't have taken McClain 'til at least the late 20's back in 2010. He wasn't extremely high on my list; but he's a talented player. Needs to play in a 3-4 like he did at 'bama.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I'll take your word for it. I did "a little googling," but you clearly have a more reliable source. Or do you?

For the record, I wouldn't have taken McClain 'til at least the late 20's back in 2010. He wasn't extremely high on my list; but he's a talented player. Needs to play in a 3-4 like he did at 'bama.

I felt the same about McClain on draft day. Did not feel he was top ten. Bottom of first was more where I had him rated.

Nfldraftscout/cbssports and nfl.com draft profile

Oh and Kuechly was 242 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator: