• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rolando McClain

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude was a stud in college on one of the better defenses at the time. Not sure what you've been watching.

Draft value is what I have been watching. 4.7 forty ILB in the top 10 is effing hilarious.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft value is what I have been watching. 4.7 forty ILB in the top 10 is effing hilarious.

He's one of the smartest guys on the field when it comes to reading an offense and making adjustments, forty times don't tell the whole story.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way was he top 10 talent. You don't draft a LB in the top 10 that isn't elite. Being elite means you have it all. He was a slug running a 4.7 forty.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but people teams liked him much more for his ability to make calls on the defense. He was hailed as one of the smartest defensive players and the leader of that Alabama defense.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not disagreeing with you, but people teams liked him much more for his ability to make calls on the defense. He was hailed as one of the smartest defensive players and the leader of that Alabama defense.

He wasn't always the best in man coverage down the field but he the man was extremely well in reading WR routes and took the proper angle pretty much every down. That along with him being so knowledgeable about the game itself made up for his speed. He's one of those guys who's in the right place at the right time the majority of the time.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank God Baalke doesn't subscribe to that Singletary caveman shit.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't exactly call him a "slug" for running a 4.7 forty at 260 pounds. That's not exactly slow.

He weighed 249 lbs when he ran that time. Care to guess what he runs now at 260?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a much better fit in a 3-4 anyways. I can see the Jets making a move for him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If he weren't such a huge d'bag, I'd take him on the Niners.

Even at 249 pounds, 4.7 isn't exactly a slow time for an ILB / MLB. It's not fast by any means either.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I heard Greg Papa talking about this at length today.....he's probably my favorite Raiders analyst, knows everyone and everything, good football knowledge to top it off.

Said he knew McClain's game well in college, said he wasn't sure how he'd translate to pros at that size, but at least should have been able to stuff the run.....Alabama was like #2 in nation vs. the run that year. But Papa said "the guy from Alabama never showed up with the Raiders", got bigger and slower, cared less, never got off blocks. Was actually weakest against the run, said he became decent in coverage and that's the only area he ever made plays.

Said about halfway through that season he was discussing the roster with Al Davis, and when they got to McClain the line was "boy, that kid is a disappointment". Even the old man knew it right away.

Remarked like a few others that he needs to go to a 3-4 to have any shot going forward, could be a bruiser along the lines of Takeo Spikes if he gets his head on straight, but will never be a playmaker.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he weren't such a huge d'bag, I'd take him on the Niners.

Even at 249 pounds, 4.7 isn't exactly a slow time for an ILB / MLB. It's not fast by any means either.

It isn't top 10 worthy and that is my point. There hasn't been any other ILBs that slow drafted in the top 10 since before 2000.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It isn't top 10 worthy and that is my point. There hasn't been any other ILBs that slow drafted in the top 10 since before 2000.

The 40 time is hardly even relevant when it comes to ILBs. 40 times are more relevant when it comes to CB, WR, Safety (especially), RB, TE & OLB to a lesser extent. Brandon Spikes ran a 4.8, and he's been a great ILB for the Pats. McClain was (and is) a serious talent.

Oh, and he weighed in at 254 pounds at the combine. 4.7 is an ok time for that weight.

ArrogantBAMAFan

Built by BAMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McClain was vastly overrated coming out of College. He didnt have the speed or coverage ability. The only reason to explain him getting drafted that high is...Raiders. This guy was drafted higher than Willis. Did anyone think he was even as good as Willis coming out? No, I'm not saying they went in the same draft.

What are you basing this on?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 40 time is hardly even relevant when it comes to ILBs. 40 times are more relevant when it comes to CB, WR, Safety (especially), RB, TE & OLB to a lesser extent. Brandon Spikes ran a 4.8, and he's been a great ILB for the Pats. McClain was (and is) a serious talent.

Oh, and he weighed in at 254 pounds at the combine. 4.7 is an ok time for that weight.

Bullshit. We are talking a top 10 pick. Forty times become extrememly relevant because you are talking elite players. Find one that ran that slow in the top 10 for me? McClain didn't run his forty at the combine. He ran it at the pro day when he weighed 249. And Spikes was drafted 30th in the second fucking round !

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"WEAKNESSES McLain only possesses adequate lateral quickness when scraping down the line against the run. Is capable in coverage but can struggle at times when asked to play man. Very sound in his reads and pursuit but isn’t a true sideline-to-sideline guy against the run."

Not a top 10 pick.

ArrogantBAMAFan

Built by BAMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

The hype that surrounded his draft stock which I did not agree with at the time.

His football knowledge was superior back in his Alabama days. Did you watch any of his college games? I'm shocked that anyone could call him overrated. I know that doesn't change his shaky NFL career, but stilL... Kind of hard for any player to be overrated and play for Nick Saban.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mostly watch SEC. When I watched guys like Willis and Mayo I was sold. McClain in no way. I didn't see him as top 10 pick worthy. It ain't rocket science.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Bullshit. We are talking a top 10 pick. Forty times become extrememlu relevant because you are talking elite players. Find one that ran that slow in the top 10 for me? McClain didn't run his forty at the combine. He ran it at the pro day when he weighed 249. And Spikes was drafted 30th in the second fucking round !

Not for ILBs. 3cone & agility drills? Sure. Broad jump? Yeah. The 40 time isn't a huge deal for ILBs.

Oh, and I didn't have to go back very far. Luke Keuchly ran a 4.58 at 237 pounds. That's not very fast either.

And Joe Haden was drafted a pick BEFORE McClain, and he ran a 4.58 at 193 pounds in a position where a 40 time is huge.