• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rodgers and Brady are the two best QBs of all time...

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady is a smart man to stay up and watch and learn from the best whenever he can!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/d10e3867-0a49-3acd-84ed-0574a83fe4d3/ss_brady:-when-rodgers-is.html

Brady: When Rodgers is playing ‘I usually stay up and watch’

He's a guy who I enjoyed watching when I was a young player," Rodgers said. "I watched in his 2007 season when he was lights-out, 50 touchdowns and I was a young player trying to figure out what does it look like. Obviously I saw it every day with Brett (Favre), but what else does it look like. What are some other guys who are at the top of their game doing?

"Tom's incredible, he's got great eye discipline and eye control, he's always had incredible subtle movements in the pocket that allow him to throw on rhythm and in a balanced position. That's how you become accurate, when your feet are underneath you, you're on balance all the time and Tom does a great job of getting his feet and his body in position to throw that ball from a balanced position.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now he might be a candy ass when push comes to shove, I don't know, but he is one big and strong sumbitch. I'd be willing to bet that Tim Tebow is the only QB in NFL history to ever bench press more than Cam.

Bench pressing does not equal fighter. I bet Doug Flukie could kick Cam's ass.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bench pressing does not equal fighter. I bet Doug Flukie could kick Cam's ass.

None of the QBs have ever fought professionally, and I've never seen videos of any NFL QBs getting in real fights. Really, size and strength is all we have to go on. Maybe Chad Pennington was a 4th degree blackbelt, but given what I do know, I'm taking either Cam or Tebow.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never did like Tom Brady, but always respected him until I heard that he eats millet. That shit is literally bird food. Used to plant that shit in my great uncle's pasture for doves back when I used to dove hunt.

He could eat dog shit if it helps, as long as he can play at this level at 39

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they had a great D when he was 22 and didn't even start until midway through the year with a ground game that ranked 23rd in ypc and again at 37 when he was pretty much washed up and took a 10-6 team into Denver where they predictably got trounced by a far superior team. They weren't going anywhere in '98.

They had little ground game that season and picked up 14 yards (12 on 1 run) on the ground that day and that great D gave up 38 points. He didn't have much help. But according to the author it was all due to "Yet another opportunity for Marino to win a Super Bowl tossed into the hands of an opposing defender." So yeah, I'd say that he has a bit of an axe to grind.

Agreed, but Marino had his opportunities (as many or more than most QB's get) to win the Big One. Being the best in the AFC in the 80's (after the Raiders' last title in '83), was akin to being King of the Dipshits. The NFC was very dominant...

Having said that, Marino should get to own at least several of his team's failures in the playoffs. He was surrounded by many great players in his career and could never get over the top. In some of the biggest moments in his playing career (playoffs) he came up average (at best).

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They weren't going anywhere in '98.

Well, they weren't going anywhere for sure with Marino coughing up two big interceptions against Denver and posting a passer rating of just 65.5.

He came up small in that one.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm amazed some of these guys can play at all considering all these dudes dangling from their nuts....

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have time to get into it today, but here is some excerpts form an interesting article on Marino.

No doubt Dan was an amazing regular season QB, but sadly he played his worst football in the playoffs. Several critical TO's really sunk him and the Dolphins chances on multiple occasions.

Take it for what it is worth.

"Dolphin fans have created an entire Mythology of Marino to explain this failure. They say he had no defense, no running game, no supporting cast. It sounds good on paper, but it's just not true. Fortunately, the Cold, Hard Football Facts worship in a different temple, one where raw numbers and reality reign as Zeus and Apollo. They easily debunked the four biggest myths perpetuated by the cult of Dan Marino.

Myth: Dan Marino had no defense.

Cold, Hard Football Facts: Marino played 17 seasons in the NFL. Twice, he had the luxury of playing with the league's No. 1 scoring defense: his rookie year of 1983 (15.6 points per game), and again in 1998 (16.6 points per game). That's a pretty enviable ratio in a league that had 28 and then 30 teams in Marino's playing days.

Consider this: Terry Bradshaw played 14 seasons in Pittsburgh and won four Super Bowls. The famed Steel Curtain defense that he played with led the league in scoring just twice in those 14 years. Of Bradshaw's four title teams, only one boasted the league's best scoring defense.

In Marino's record-setting 1984 season, the Dolphins had the No. 1 scoring offense in football and the No. 6 scoring defense (18.6 points per game). The 1990 Dolphins, meanwhile, boasted the league's No. 4 scoring defense, surrendering just 15.1 points per game.

There's no doubt Marino played with some poor defenses in his day, but that's the price of playing in the league 17 years. But the Cold, Hard Football Facts show that he also played with several defenses more than strong enough to win Super Bowls.

Myth: Marino had no running game.

Cold, Hard Football Facts: Marino joined Miami at a time when it had a reputation of being the best ground team in football. In fact, the year before Marino was drafted, the Dolphins made it all the way to the Super Bowl on the strength of a great running game and great defense.

In Marino's rookie year, 1983, the Dolphins racked up 2,150 yards on the ground. In 1984, Marino set single-season records with 48 touchdowns and 5,084 yards passing. The Dolphins still managed 1,918 rushing yards and averaged 4.0 yards per carry.

It would be disingenuous to say that the Dolphins were a great running team later in Marino's career. Of course, much of that can be attributed to too few rushing attempts and a misguided faith placed in Marino's arm.

But consider this: The New England Patriots went 17-2 and won the Super Bowl last year while averaging a woeful 3.4 yards per rushing attempt. The Dolphins averaged more than 3.4 yards per rushing attempt 14 times in Marino's 17 seasons. In other words, Marino's Dolphins ran the ball more than well enough to win Super Bowls.

Myth: Marino had to carry the Dolphins himself.

Cold, Hard Football Facts: Few quarterbacks in NFL history have been surrounded by more talent than Marino.

In his 17-year career, Marino played with 55 players named to the Pro Bowl. Marino himself was named a Pro Bowler nine times. That's a remarkable 64 Pro Bowl players, or nearly four for every season Marino spent in the NFL. Four times in Marino's career, the Dolphins boasted five or more Pro Bowl players in a single season. Compare that with New England's two Super Bowl teams, which had a total of just five Pro Bowl players.

Marino also had the rare luxury of joining a team that had played in the Super Bowl the year before he arrived. He also played most of his career for the winningest coach in NFL history, Don Shula.

Shula has quite a resume. Working with quarterbacks Bob Griese, Earl Morrall and Johnny Unitas, he led the Colts and Dolphins to five Super Bowls in 15 years. Over the next 13 seasons, working with Marino, he appeared in just one more Super Bowl. He lost.

If any quarterback in NFL history walked into an ideal situation in which to win a Super Bowl, it was Dan Marino.

Myth: Marino was a big-game quarterback.

Cold, Hard Football Facts: Want to know the real reason why Marino never won a Super Bowl? Sadly, the answer sits with Dan Marino himself.

Simply put, Marino did not elevate his game in the playoffs. In fact, his played dropped off quite noticeably. Marino has a career regular season passer rating of 86.4. His postseason passer rating was just 77.1. He played in 18 playoff games, and won just eight of them.

In his one Super Bowl appearance (a 38-16 loss to the 49ers in Super Bowl XIX), Marino completed 29 of 50 passes for 318 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs. It adds up to a weak 66.9 passer rating. One wonders what might have happened had his two Super Bowl drives that ended in interceptions ended in touchdowns instead.

Remember that 1998 Miami team that had the best defense in football? It made the playoffs, but Marino failed to hold up his end of the bargain. The season ended in the second round of the playoffs, with Marino coughing up two interceptions against Denver and posting a passer rating of just 65.5. Yet another opportunity for Marino to win a Super Bowl tossed into the hands of an opposing defender.

In fact, Marino threw at least one interception in 13 of his 18 career playoff games. He threw two or more interceptions 10 times. The Dolphins went just 1-9 in those 10 Marino multi-interception playoff games.

So, DollFans, if you're looking for a reason why Miami never won a Super Bowl in the 1980s or 90s, look no further than the faded Dan Marino poster still taped to the ceiling over your bed."

The author may have had an axe to grind, but there are some interesting points laid out in this article. Here is the whole thing: The Marino mythology
Whew glad you didn't have time to get into it today. Next time post the cliff notes please

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myth: Marino was a big-game quarterback.

Cold, Hard Football Facts: Want to know the real reason why Marino never won a Super Bowl? Sadly, the answer sits with Dan Marino himself.

Simply put, Marino did not elevate his game in the playoffs. In fact, his played dropped off quite noticeably. Marino has a career regular season passer rating of 86.4. His postseason passer rating was just 77.1. He played in 18 playoff games, and won just eight of them.

This article was put together by a lazy patty Tom Brady fanboi which I believe I've ripped apart in full before. On this point alone, Tom Brady's regular season rating is 97.2. His playoff rating is 87.4. Somehow, Dan Marino is a playoff choker and Tom Brady is a post season mastermind......uh no. Neither is true.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the QBs have ever fought professionally, and I've never seen videos of any NFL QBs getting in real fights. Really, size and strength is all we have to go on. Maybe Chad Pennington was a 4th degree blackbelt, but given what I do know, I'm taking either Cam or Tebow.
main-qimg-bec07bd525ce38fc7dec238c64d21591-c

Regarding the heaviest NFL Quarterback ever, that distinction goes to former New York Giants back up, Jared Lorenzen was 6'4" and 285lbs. He was last in NFL around 2008.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is what it is.

This is going to be one of the best Superbowl match ups of all time.

And if Rodgers can have a huge Superbowl with a win, he gets closer to the GOAT.

you might want to slow your roll....neither is currently in the Superbowl this year. Both still have to win one more game to get there.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers has been the best QB of this era for a long time now. No one is close. By the time he is done Rodgers could be the best of all time

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure you can.. Marino will always be considered great.. But best ever? Not as much..
It's very subjective. Marino was the greatest and most accurate QB I've ever seen. For every Marino didn't win the big one, you get a Trent Dilfer did so what does it mean retort. I understand why others don't list Marino as #1, but the eye test showed me he was the best:2cents:

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Regarding the heaviest NFL Quarterback ever, that distinction goes to former New York Giants back up, Jared Lorenzen was 6'4" and 285lbs. He was last in NFL around 2008.
Jared Lorenzen. Now THAT was a guy with some of the best nicknames:
--Hefty Lefty
--The Abominable Throwman
--J-Load
--Q-Bese
--Lord of the RingDings
--The Round Mound of Touchdown
--He Ate Me
--The Pillsbury Throwboy

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is what it is.

This is going to be one of the best Superbowl match ups of all time.

And if Rodgers can have a huge Superbowl with a win, he gets closer to the GOAT.

Maybe if you're 15 years old and not too bright !!!
And enem if that is the case, there's still Peyton and Eli Manning that both have more SB wins than AR. But these guys can't compare to the likes of Montana, Unitas, Staubach,Bradshaw etc. They played when it was a mans game, not yellow flag football. These are pansies today compared to those guys.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

da fuq

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if you're 15 years old and not too bright !!!
And enem if that is the case, there's still Peyton and Eli Manning that both have more SB wins than AR. But these guys can't compare to the likes of Montana, Unitas, Staubach,Bradshaw etc. They played when it was a mans game, not yellow flag football. These are pansies today compared to those guys.
I agree with your sentiment, though not all the details. Comparing players from different eras is very hard. The rules now so grossly favor the offense that today's QBs should have gaudy stats and the ridiculous rules protecting Qbs ensure that today's QBs have much longer careers than those of prior eras.

The rules today ensure that QBs can play well into their late 30's, if not longer. In the 60's, 70's and 80's,a QB regularly attempting 40+ passes per game wouldn't finish the season b/c defenses could actually hit QBs in those days.

Today, you can't hit a QB below the knee, above the shoulder, or with the crown of your helmet. It's literally a penalty if your facemask touches his. You can't launch yourself into the QB or pick up the QB and drive him into the ground with your weight. Repeat offenders now get suspended.

Guys like Bradshaw, Marino, Montana, Kelly and even Aikman were knocked out of games/seasons on hits that would've resulted in suspensions today, but they didn't even draw a flag back then. That's why the longevity argument carries no weight with me--the fact that Brady, Manning, Brees, etc.all have longer careers than the QBs of yesteryear, is meaningless imo.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you might want to slow your roll....neither is currently in the Superbowl this year. Both still have to win one more game to get there.

Brady has been to 6 and your boy has been to 3 , let some youngbloods win it. On second though NAHHHH!