• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Rockets Vs Lakers Oct 28, 2014

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HoustonRockets_LOGO.gif
lakers_logo_1991_alt.gif

@

Staples-Center-at-night.jpg

10:30PM ET/7:30PM PT - COVERAGE TNT/LOCAL RADIO ESPN LA 710AM

PREVIEW:Houston Rockets vs. Los Angeles Lakers - Preview - October 28, 2014 - ESPN Los Angeles

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone want to predict this one? I'm thinking we could well win this one!

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait!!!!

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe will score 40. The game will be close and be decided on how well everyone not named Kobe Bryant will play, as per usual. Boozer and Lin have to come up big for the Lakers to win.

Lin starts tonight against his former team. Lin has stated several times he wanted to be starting and playing when the game is on the line, lets see how he does. Mentally this will be a great challenge for this squad to start the season. It will be close. Im down for the purple and gold 94-95.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
40 points for Kobe might be pushing it a little...

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(13 hrs ago) Lakers coach Byron Scott told reporters Monday that guard Kobe Bryant will play approximately 30-40 minutes in the team's season opener against the Rockets on Tuesday, Kevin Ding of the Bleacher Report reports. However, he could cut Bryant's minutes down from anywhere between 25-40 minutes per game the following night against the Suns on Wednesday.

:nod:

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
35 minutes for Kobe will do.

The team will only have 10 active players available so the rookies could see some good minutes.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
35 minutes for Kobe will do.

The team will only have 10 active players available so the rookies could see some good minutes.

I think Kobe's going to go out in a blaze... These next 2 years might be historic...:yahoo:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roster for tonight:

Likely Starting Lineup:

C - Jordan Hill: Big opportunity for him with Byron as coach. Offensively, he should be getting the ball closer to the basket and maybe a few more touches than under D'Antoni. He is also the key to the Lakers interior defense.

SG - Kobe Bryant: Can he return to at least close to what he was before the Achilles tear? If so, the Lakers can surprise some folks. Hopefully, he doesn't try to do too much, especially right away.

PG - Jeremy Lin: Offensively, he should be a nice upgrade over what the Lakers have had for the past few seasons. If Byron can get at least "serviceable" defense out of him, he could be the long term answer at PG.

PF - Carlos Boozer: If he can return to close to Utah form, he could be a main reason that the Lakers surprise folks. It would also allow the Lakers to bring Randle along more slowly and with less pressure on him.

SF - Wes Johnson: He has the ability to be a "Michael Cooper type" perimeter defender (something the Lakers have lacked for a few years), that has yet to materialize however. How patient will Byron be with him?

The Bench:

C/PF - Ed Davis: Former lottery pick and seems to have a lot of untapped potential. He will be backing up both the center and PF spots. If he can realize that potential, he could be a huge help and stick around for the long haul. He's looked good in the pre-season and has developed a good chemistry with Lin. I could actually see him starting at Center or PF if Hill and/or Boozer falter.

PF - Julius Randle: This kid has star potential written all over him. I like him coming off of the bench, especially early in the season. It let's him develop a little more slowly. He could very well be the starter by the end of the season.

SG/PG - Jordan Clarkson: With the injuries to other guards, he will see significant minutes early in the year backing up both guard positions. If he maintains the form he showed in the pre-season, he could be the steal of the draft.

SG - Wayne Ellington: Haven't been impressed with him and he hasn't accomplished much in his previous 5 years in the league. He is likely only on the roster because of the injuries to other guards. He'll get chances to play. If he develops into something, he might stick around. I expect him to be released when the injured players start returning though.

C - Robert Sacre: Great locker room guy, big effort player. He will play few minutes, but his energy can still impact games for the limited time that he's in.

Likely/Definitely Unavailable:

PG/SG - Ronnie Price: Training camp invitee who managed to grab a roster spot by impressing Byron and Kobe with his energy and hard-nosed defense. He would likely be starting tonight, but has a bone bruise in his right knee and status is day to day.

SF/PF - Ryan Kelly: Out with strained hamstrings. When he returns, he needs to pick up where he left off at the end of last season when he had become a fairly reliable 3 point shooter. He has the ability to stretch defenses. Once everyone is healthy, I expect him to see most of his minutes at SF and occasionally as a "stretch 4".

SG/SF - Xavier Henry: The reason we love him is also his biggest downfall. He plays 100 mph all of the time. He is still rehabbing from knee surgery and apparently went to Germany for the same procedure Kobe had. Unsure of his timetable for a return. Looks like it might be awhile though.

SG - Nick Young: Out of all of the players that the Lakers are missing, his being out likely has the biggest effect. Aside from the energy and offense that he brings, he was going to be counted on the most to help limit Kobe's minutes. Looking like he'll return around Thanksgiving.

That's my take going into the first game. Thoughts?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice summary, Trojan. After Nick Young comes back, Kobe's minutes should get a little more consistent. I get the feeling that Byron wants to make a good impression in his first year, but let's be honest, he wouldn't get fired even if the Lakers were to have a worse year than last year (which I don't believe will happen). He shouldn't go the route of D'Antoni and burn Kobe out trying to make it to the playoffs.

1 huge positive I see this year is that the team wasn't built around an injured Steve Nash for once.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's get this going already!!!

Nice write up TF12. I see a big year for Ed Davis. I really liked what he did during the preseason. I think he's better than Hill and will eventually be the starter center.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roster for tonight:

Likely Starting Lineup:

C - Jordan Hill: Big opportunity for him with Byron as coach. Offensively, he should be getting the ball closer to the basket and maybe a few more touches than under D'Antoni. He is also the key to the Lakers interior defense.

SG - Kobe Bryant: Can he return to at least close to what he was before the Achilles tear? If so, the Lakers can surprise some folks. Hopefully, he doesn't try to do too much, especially right away.

PG - Jeremy Lin: Offensively, he should be a nice upgrade over what the Lakers have had for the past few seasons. If Byron can get at least "serviceable" defense out of him, he could be the long term answer at PG.

PF - Carlos Boozer: If he can return to close to Utah form, he could be a main reason that the Lakers surprise folks. It would also allow the Lakers to bring Randle along more slowly and with less pressure on him.

SF - Wes Johnson: He has the ability to be a "Michael Cooper type" perimeter defender (something the Lakers have lacked for a few years), that has yet to materialize however. How patient will Byron be with him?

The Bench:

C/PF - Ed Davis: Former lottery pick and seems to have a lot of untapped potential. He will be backing up both the center and PF spots. If he can realize that potential, he could be a huge help and stick around for the long haul. He's looked good in the pre-season and has developed a good chemistry with Lin. I could actually see him starting at Center or PF if Hill and/or Boozer falter.

PF - Julius Randle: This kid has star potential written all over him. I like him coming off of the bench, especially early in the season. It let's him develop a little more slowly. He could very well be the starter by the end of the season.

SG/PG - Jordan Clarkson: With the injuries to other guards, he will see significant minutes early in the year backing up both guard positions. If he maintains the form he showed in the pre-season, he could be the steal of the draft.

SG - Wayne Ellington: Haven't been impressed with him and he hasn't accomplished much in his previous 5 years in the league. He is likely only on the roster because of the injuries to other guards. He'll get chances to play. If he develops into something, he might stick around. I expect him to be released when the injured players start returning though.

C - Robert Sacre: Great locker room guy, big effort player. He will play few minutes, but his energy can still impact games for the limited time that he's in.

Likely/Definitely Unavailable:

PG/SG - Ronnie Price: Training camp invitee who managed to grab a roster spot by impressing Byron and Kobe with his energy and hard-nosed defense. He would likely be starting tonight, but has a bone bruise in his right knee and status is day to day.

SF/PF - Ryan Kelly: Out with strained hamstrings. When he returns, he needs to pick up where he left off at the end of last season when he had become a fairly reliable 3 point shooter. He has the ability to stretch defenses. Once everyone is healthy, I expect him to see most of his minutes at SF and occasionally as a "stretch 4".

SG/SF - Xavier Henry: The reason we love him is also his biggest downfall. He plays 100 mph all of the time. He is still rehabbing from knee surgery and apparently went to Germany for the same procedure Kobe had. Unsure of his timetable for a return. Looks like it might be awhile though.

SG - Nick Young: Out of all of the players that the Lakers are missing, his being out likely has the biggest effect. Aside from the energy and offense that he brings, he was going to be counted on the most to help limit Kobe's minutes. Looking like he'll return around Thanksgiving.

That's my take going into the first game. Thoughts?

Agree with all of this. Also i didnt feel Clarkson got much of a chance preseason. Lets see what he can do when he inevitably will get time since the injury to nash.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two hours to go. X is available and Price is listed as probable.

Shit is getting real now!

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might actually be able to post during the game. They're showing the Spurs v Mavs followed by the Lakers v Rockets game live on tv here in the UK.

Usually I rely on NBA League Pass which I watch on my ipad so that rules out me posting during games.

GO LAKERS :yahoo:

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might actually be able to post during the game. They're showing the Spurs v Mavs followed by the Lakers v Rockets game live on tv here in the UK.

Usually I rely on NBA League Pass which I watch on my ipad so that rules out me posting during games.

GO LAKERS :yahoo:

They show a lot of the Lakers games on Time-Warner cable. Got the Spurs/Mavs game right now...

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
League Pass usually shows the TWC feed for the Lakers games. But as this is a TNT game I have to make do with (most likely) Reggie Miller rather than Stu and Bill.