• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rockets C Yao Ming to the Basketball Hall of Fame

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he deserves it based on his NBA career. Other factors must have helped him.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he deserves it based on his NBA career. Other factors must have helped him.

I agree.

I think the fact that he brought 1billion fans from China, was an Anomaly being so big yet, so skilled helped his cause.

His numbers are not great. But, they are better than Bill Walton's.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shawn Bradley next?

I know you were exaggerating for effect here, but there's a monstrous difference between the two. Yao averaged 19.0 points per game. Bradley averaged 18.2 (points+rebounds+assists+blocks+steals) per game.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

I think the fact that he brought 1billion fans from China, was an Anomaly being so big yet, so skilled helped his cause.

Weren't both of them screwed by their feet?
Or, was it Walton's knees?

I stood next to Walton outside an airport, I was waiting for a shuttle and I'd assume he had a private car coming for him. I was pretty sure it was him, but a skycap came by to shake his hand and their exchange confirmed it.
Funny thing was that he was with a tiny (but gorgeous) Asian lady who shook her head and rolled her eyes every time Bill opened his mouth. He would get deflated for a bit, but then try some other way to curry her favor. It was funny to see this giant of a man totally whipped by that itty bitty woman.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you were exaggerating for effect here, but there's a monstrous difference between the two. Yao averaged 19.0 points per game. Bradley averaged 18.2 (points+rebounds+assists+blocks+steals) per game.

Bradley probably killed him if you add in turnovers

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

trust me i know.....

i just loved Bradley as a guy.

sadly....i threw his autograph away a few years ago because well.....there was no point in keeping it.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

It's definitely cultural impact that's going to get him in.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weren't both of them screwed by their feet?
Or, was it Walton's knees?

I stood next to Walton outside an airport, I was waiting for a shuttle and I'd assume he had a private car coming for him. I was pretty sure it was him, but a skycap came by to shake his hand and their exchange confirmed it.
Funny thing was that he was with a tiny (but gorgeous) Asian lady who shook her head and rolled her eyes every time Bill opened his mouth. He would get deflated for a bit, but then try some other way to curry her favor. It was funny to see this giant of a man totally whipped by that itty bitty woman.

Yao had the bad feet, the big red-head the bad knees.

I'm a huge UCLA fan.

Bill was a MONSTA in college.

But, outside of that 3rd year in Portland, nothing about his pro career screams HOF.

I could totally see him being submissive in a relationship...lol

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously if Yao Ming was black or white this wouldn't be a thing.

But he is one of the most famous athletes of all time and its called the Hall of Fame so why not?

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a huge UCLA fan.

But, outside of that 3rd year in Portland, nothing about his pro career screams HOF.

But for 2 years -- Bill Walton was the best player in the NBA. (when Kareem was still near his peak) I don't think there has ever been a 7-ft center that did some of the things Bill did. He was Finals MVP -- then MVP of the following year.

Most people remember Bill from '86 when he was with the Celtics -- that was a completely different player. (shell of what he was in mid/late 70s)

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trust me i know.....

i just loved Bradley as a guy.

sadly....i threw his autograph away a few years ago because well.....there was no point in keeping it.

He always seemed like a good guy. I hate it when guys like that become some kind of running joke, it's not his fault he was drafted where he was and I don't get the impression that his failure to live up to it was his fault either, it's not like he was riding around in Bentleys at 3 am and didn't put in the work.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But for 2 years -- Bill Walton was the best player in the NBA. (when Kareem was still near his peak) I don't think there has ever been a 7-ft center that did some of the things Bill did. He was Finals MVP -- then MVP of the following year.

Most people remember Bill from '86 when he was with the Celtics -- that was a completely different player. (shell of what he was in mid/late 70s)

True.

He had 2, not good, but DOMINATE, Seasons.

Shows he could have been so much more if his body would have held up.

It's telling that that was after his first 2 years were injury riddled.

There are 3 guys that I would have loved to see how.their careers would have played out, if not.for injuries

1. Brandon Roy

2. Brad Daugherty

3. Bill.Walton

Magic had such a great run that I don't feel the need to include him and Sabonis had a long career overseas, but came to the NBA to late when he could barely walk.

I think he could have been an ALL-TIME Great had he come earlier.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a huge UCLA fan.

Walton also had foot issues. He broke his foot when on Portland and messed it up even more during the playoffs. Following that, he wanted out of Portland. He didn't think they treated his injury right.

I just bought his book on Amazon. Very much looking forward to reading it once my procrastinating ass gets started on it. Definitely curious about his Dead stories.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walton also had foot issues. He broke his foot when on Portland and messed it up even more during the playoffs. Following that, he wanted out of Portland. He didn't think they treated his injury right.

I just bought his book on Amazon. Very much looking forward to reading it once my procrastinating ass gets started on it. Definitely curious about his Dead stories.

Yeah, Bill is a Dead Head.

I was just reading a story earlier today about him being suicidal after ESPN fired him.

Glad he didn't have the means to carry it out because I loved it when he called games when he was rehired years later.

th?id=OIP.M8062e194034ea3f9efc717aa6a79362ao2&pid=15.1.jpg

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The FAME part of the HOF gets him in.

He opened up 1 billion new fans and possibly ushered basketball into a larger global sport

If random college players can get in that never sniffed the pro ranks, a global iconic figure like Ming should get in.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it... It's not just the NBA hall of fame and people who were "contributors" can be let in. His international career (3 FIBA Asia Championships, 3 MVP's, dominant in Chinese Basketball Association with 39 points 20 boards a game his last year) and his expanding basketball internationally are huge helps. Based purely on his NBA career (8 time all star, one of 28 players who averaged 19-9 over their career) he isn't in, but the NBA doesn't have a HOF. Guys from the globetrotters, WNBA, international guys who weren't good enough to make the NBA, and college greats get into the Naismith HOF.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him but I don't think he deserves to be in there.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him but I don't think he deserves to be in there.

C'mon, if Reggie Miller can make it, then surely someone who impacted the NBA on a global scale as much as Yao Ming surely can.