• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Robinson = Jason Smith 2.0 IMO

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Perhaps the most athletic offensive tackle in the NFL draft, should be highly sought after on draft day because of his potential to become a quality starter at left tackle early in his career. He has good footwork and mobility to pick up speed rushers, and he plays with good leverage, moves well in space and is effective blocking against smaller, quicker players at the second level. He does a good job of pulling, is fast off the line of scrimmage, and is quick getting to the outside. He's light on his feet, and he finishes his blocks well. He also plays with a huge competitive streak. Is the best athlete among offensive line prospects in the draft and is also a tireless worker. There are not many negatives to his game. Will be a starter from the day he is drafted and has a strong chance to be a Pro Bowler by his second NFL season."

This is Jason Smiths scouting report before he was drafted........Need I say more?
I think Robinson is better than J Smith. However, I doubt he ever becomes a dominate LT in the NFL. He run blocked but hardly ever pass blocked. Sounds a lot like J Smith as well. he was a good run blocker but an awful pass protector. I really hope we pass on this guy. If we did go after a LT I'd like to stay with Mathews.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see us taking a tackle with the first pick with Saffold resigning and 2 starting tackles on the roster already.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If long is physically ready to go

Maybe thats why they have been having guards come visit in in FA. McGlynn a guard from the colts visited yesterday i believe. if long isn't ready they have Saffold. they will probably draft a guard too.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The elephant in the room is 'what are the Rams going to do if they can't trade down'

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jason smith was not a linemen though, he was in highschool then even in highschool got moved to Tight end. Then was TE in college, then moved to line, robinson always was a linemen

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton - Sammy Watkins

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The elephant in the room is 'what are the Rams going to do if they can't trade down'

I'm picking Mack if it were up to me. I'm ok with Watkins though

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah With Robinson though if he did fail at tackle it's hard to imagine him not being an elite guard for a long time. His run blocking is unreal. So I don't think he could be a total bust like Smith. If we did draft Robinson we would have to 2 absolute run blocking maulers at guard with Robinson & Saffold which would be pretty nice against the 49ers and Seahawks. And also have two guys that could play tackle if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton - Sammy Watkins
Id be shocked if the same GM invests a #2 overall in Watkins, a first and a second in Tavon Austin and a #33 in Quick.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah With Robinson though if he did fail at tackle it's hard to imagine him not being an elite guard for a long time. His run blocking is unreal. So I don't think he could be a total bust like Smith. If we did draft Robinson we would have to 2 absolute run blocking maulers at guard with Robinson & Saffold which would be pretty nice against the 49ers and Seahawks. And also have two guys that could play tackle if needed.

I guess I agree that worst case scenario Robinson will be an above average OG, but it's the #2 overall pick, I don't really want to draft an OG. Now if we get to #13 and he is there, then I think your argument is good enough that Robinson should absolutely be the pick at that point. (Based on the premise that we think he can play guard on a 1st Rounder caliber, and that #13 overall, while is a little high for an elite OG prospect (a spot or two maybe) the fact that he might be able to also play tackle, a more valued position.

This also would mean though that he elite gaurd prospect is only an average tackle prospect, which is in no case worth the #2 overall pick. At that point we would have to draft Mathews (if we wanted an OT, or we can draft Watkins, Clowney, Mack, etc etc, which is what I think we should do.)

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: Whether we like it or not it makes the most sense. We would be able to control the LOS, eat up the clock, win the time of possession battle. Think about it, alls Sam would have to do is hand off the ball and collect a monster pay check. :L This IMO would save his ass!! :nod: Might just build his confidence a little! Even with Jake Long out, we would still have a strong line. With him in, it would be devastating. I'm thinkin Robinson will be our pick. If we take a 5'11" speedy wr with a makeshift oline, Sam Bradford will be carried off on a strecher by week 3 and Mark Sanchez might be bouncing off guys butts at the LOS for crist sakes. Hell if we took Robinson even I could get behind center and hand off.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Perhaps the most athletic offensive tackle in the NFL draft, should be highly sought after on draft day because of his potential to become a quality starter at left tackle early in his career. He has good footwork and mobility to pick up speed rushers, and he plays with good leverage, moves well in space and is effective blocking against smaller, quicker players at the second level. He does a good job of pulling, is fast off the line of scrimmage, and is quick getting to the outside. He's light on his feet, and he finishes his blocks well. He also plays with a huge competitive streak. Is the best athlete among offensive line prospects in the draft and is also a tireless worker. There are not many negatives to his game. Will be a starter from the day he is drafted and has a strong chance to be a Pro Bowler by his second NFL season."

This is Jason Smiths scouting report before he was drafted........Need I say more?
I think Robinson is better than J Smith. However, I doubt he ever becomes a dominate LT in the NFL. He run blocked but hardly ever pass blocked. Sounds a lot like J Smith as well. he was a good run blocker but an awful pass protector. I really hope we pass on this guy. If we did go after a LT I'd like to stay with Mathews.

Usually when Jacob makes a prediction like this, in reality, he will probably become a perenial Pro Bowler or possibly Offensive Rookie of the Year! :nod:

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am firmly convinced that the only way we choose someone besides Sammy Watkins with our first pick in round 1 is if we trade down to #6 with Atlanta because he won't get past the Raiders at #5. If he does drop to us at #6 AND we get an extra 2nd rounder.. BONUS!!

I see the draft going like this:

1a - Watkins
1b - Gilbert,Dix,Pryor or Dennard
2 - Gabe Jackson
2b (if we trade down) S or CB
3 - OT
4 - DT
5- QB
6 and 7 Depth all around

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Spending the #2 overall pick on a guy that will either be a LG, RT, or fill-in LT? Seems like a wasted pick. All those positions can be had later. I can't imagine the Rams putting Robinson at LT if Long isn't ready; he needs too much work at pass protection. If that's their intent, Matthews needs to be the pick over Robinson.

#2 needs to be spent on a special talent, either someone like Watkins, Mack, or Clowney IMO.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:10:shopson is exactly right in that with the #2 and no real trade value from someone and keeper must be found. Now Mathews is the best OT but #2 overall isn't going to happen. Watkins, Clowney or Mack is the pick, I want Watkins but either of the others is going to help the team a bunch.:nod:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#2 needs to be spent on a special talent, either someone like Watkins, Mack, or Clowney IMO.
Panthers GM was able to find special talents every year and got fired because he invested too much in running backs and linebackers. Moving up and drafting Tavon Austin last year has consequences, imo. A team can't invest that much in young wide receivers. You just can't

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthers GM was able to find special talents every year and got fired because he invested too much in running backs and linebackers. Moving up and drafting Tavon Austin last year has consequences, imo. A team can't invest that much in young wide receivers. You just can't

If not Watkins, then it needs to be Clowney or Mack IMO. OL is too deep in this draft to use #2 there.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing that Fisher doesn't like drafting OL in the first round, there is no way possible he breaks tradition and drafts one this year at 2nd overall.......no way. I agree with the rest that said if we stay at #2 we have to draft an impact player like Clowney or Wadkins or even Bortles. However, that being said, I'm convinced the Rams will trade down, and I fear that because they are so determined to do so they will even force the issue and take less for the pick than what it's worth. Of course at this point nothing surprises me with Fisher as he continues to demonstrate poor judgment (IMHO) by even considering Sanchez as a viable P/U.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Boss, that interest Fishead had in the Butt Fumble dude, lasted all of what, a day and Sanchez was off to Philly.