• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP Chuck Knox

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Hadl was the qb in Knox's first season, he had an All Pro year and was traded in the offseason to the Packers. Sad really! The qb position was unsettled in Knox's time, thanks to the front office.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Vita. I remember those years when we would win the division and then either face Dallas or Minnesota at some point in the playoffs. I would hold my breath every time and every year we were disappointed as either Dallas or Minnesota would be headed to the big dance until 1978-1979 when we went into Dallas and that pass by Ferragamo to Drew Hill over the middle was a miracle. Man what a relief that game was. We finally got over the hump!

That is what pissed me-off so badly about that Queen Idiot. I knew if we lost the snooperbowl, Chuck would bring us all the way back but the rest is history and we were in for a long 20 years of frustration until Dick Vermeil finally got us over the last hurdle.
Deserves both the 'Winner' and 'I love you Bro!' rating.....

Could only give one of course....

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on Battlelyon. That frikin' Queen Idiot was forever screwing things up!!
Maybe she was in CR's head, retro or vise versa... :rolleyes2:

But Rosenbloom was at the helm in Knox' first stint.

Pretty sure CK knew how to evaluate every position except the one that was changing on the fly in the QB spot.

Ground Chuck was tagged for a reason.....

Could be, he just never had a QB to take him to the promised land, but maybe he never could just 'open it up' and take advantage of the rules changes like the teams that prospered during the mid 70's. Hell Fran was the smallest QB in the league!

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe she was in CR's head, retro or vise versa... :rolleyes2:

But Rosenbloom was at the helm in Knox' first stint.

Pretty sure CK knew how to evaluate every position except the one that was changing on the fly in the QB spot.

Ground Chuck was tagged for a reason.....

Could be, he just never had a QB to take him to the promised land, but maybe he never could just 'open it up' and take advantage of the rules changes like the teams that prospered during the mid 70's. Hell Fran was the smallest QB in the league!

I don’t know who is responsible for trading an All Pro qb, but it didn’t seem warranted.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know who is responsible for trading an All Pro qb, but it didn’t seem warranted.
Hadl was in his mid 30's when traded and the Rams got something like a half dozen picks for him. They cut him loose just at the right time IMO, as his career virtually ended in Green Bay by the next season and a half.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hadl was in his mid 30's when traded and the Rams got something like a half dozen picks for him. They cut him loose just at the right time IMO, as his career virtually ended in Green Bay by the next season and a half.
Wait, I just googled it, he was 34 and the Rams got 5 picks....
the Packers gave up first-, second- and third-round choices in the next draft, and a first and second choice in 1976.

Oct. 22, 1974: Packers trade for John Hadl

We got quite a haul and it was a huge factor in the success of the LA Rams in the 70's!!

Imagine that 70's Rams defense without Cromwell, Jackson and Thomas!

This trade doomed the Packers to nearly two decades' worth of despair while concurrently aiding the Rams' run as one of the powerhouse teams of the 1970s. The Rams rebuilt their secondary with Jackson, Thomas and Nolan Cromwell (via a subsequent trade with a selection acquired from the Packers). Jackson and Thomas were two-time Pro Bowlers, and Cromwell was a four-time Pro Bowl pick. Hadl, meanwhile, played just 22 games for Green Bay, recording an unimpressive touchdown-to-interception ratio of 9-to-29.
Worst trades involving NFL draft picks

BTW - That quote above is from a list of the worst trades in NFL history involving draft picks... Listed at No 2 overall and right ahead of the No. 3 worst trades of all time (Another Rams deal, the RGIII trade) in case you didn't click on the link and wanted some form reference.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like after the Gabriel days. We kept picking up old ready to retire QBs, Hadl, Bartkowski, and Namath, off the top of my head?

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smed - You forgot Bert Jones from the Colts!

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like after the Gabriel days. We kept picking up old ready to retire QBs, Hadl, Bartkowski, and Namath, off the top of my head?

Not sure I'd put it like that... After Gabriel(and before Everett)... I believe James Harris, Pat Haden and Vince Ferragamo played the most games. However, I get your point!!! :suds:

Youngblood56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knox went with James Harris because he was a big strong QB who had a huge arm. The guy could flat out play and Knox didn't care what color you were. He liked winners and those were the guys he routinely would promote to be starters.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Retro - I remember we signed Marcus Dupree, the talented running back after he left another team. He proceeded to make mistakes and made a bonehead play or lacked hustle in one game. Knox just plain out cut him the next day.

My friends and I still reference Knox when stupidity, or entitlement, or nonchalant play was evident in some player. The legend has now grown to: "Knox would come out on the field and cut the player right then and there!"

I have a feeling McVay did that with Mo Alexander last year.