• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Riley Cooper situation

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to get into any attack or defense of anyone in this thread. My thoughts on here are about how the Eagles are handling the situation. For those of you who aren't too familiar with my I follow 2 teams very closely, obviously the Rams and the Pittsburgh Steelers as well. I'm sitting here watching SVP & Russilo, unfortunately neither is on today, but they are commenting on how the Eagles haven't come out of the locker room with a united front on this and questioning the leadership on the team as a result. Here are my thoughts:

If this happened in the Rams organization Coach Fisher would take a strong stand with the team and the solid coaching staff wouldn't allow the dissenting opinions to be voiced after practice. Sam would have spoken on the topic and the rest of the offense would have been coached on how to handle the questions.

If this happened in the Steelers organization Mr Rooney would have made a public statement, Coach T would have given his normal "we are monitoring the situation and will handle things as we see necessary, now let's get back to football" boring press conference. Select veteran players like Big Ben, Brett Keisel and Ryan Clark would have spoken with media as well as top WR Antonio Brown. They all would say about the same thing about how its a tough situation but something we'll get through as a team.

My point: The Steelers have had a long and stable ownership family and a model under which they perform that allows them to absorb such instances. The Rams have such a strong figure as a head coach that he would control the situation. The Eagles don't see to have something like that to lessen the blow. Vick and Avant made a strong front but then McCoy says "I'll forgive but I won't forget." Now there's an unnamed player saying Andy would have done things differently and no one is going near him in practice. I'm just thankful that both the Steelers and Rams are strong enough organizations to not be hurt by things like this to the extent that this is causing unrest in Philly.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All these hypocrite black players act like they don't use the same word every day. This is ridiculous IMO. I bet the also say cracker a whole lot and no one says anything about that. I am so tired of the one sided race card.

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the media has a lot to do with keeping this word on the tip of peoples tongues. To me... it's just a word. I hear the word cracker and whitey and I see black comics imitate white people in negative ways for laughs and I laugh with them. You would not know it to look at it but It appears that white skin is thicker than black skin. I think some maturing and some toughening up is long over due within the African American community. We all have our crosses to carry and our mountains to climb in life.
I also think it's time we turn the race hustlers out to pasture so the rest of us...white black brown red or yellow can get back to working together as Americans. Now lets play football...GO RAMS!

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thought on the whole thing is, how many African American's are going to be at a Kenny Chesney concert to beat up anyway, HELLO!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If something like this happens on the Rams, hopefully the guy will either get:

1) Fired

or

2) Given a fine. The proper people can make the proper statements, an apology from the player can be made and then set a precedent where no one can talk about this issue again with the media. Be like Dwayne Wade whenever a reporter asked about his obvious injury: ignore the media. Don't give them ammo.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly the guy is an idiot. To be in the spot light and to get caught using such a dumb word is really bad luck on his part. Personally it's none of our business, it's none of the eagles business, it's none of the fans business. It's his and his families business. I'm really sick of hearing about it on NFLn and ESPN. The media is going to be the end of this country because people who can't think for themselves (vast majority of american's) get all worked up over something thats none of their concern in the first place.

Listen to Charles Barkley's interview about the Travon Martin case. He hit it right on the head about the media and people in general.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfReCoRRIow]Charles Barkley Agrees With Zimmerman Verdict, Hits Media For Giving Racists A Platform - YouTube[/ame]

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacob, I agree with you 100%. I don't care what he said or if he meant it, I simply think its interesting to compare how I think different teams would handle it. I think the Eagles are doing a poor job.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacob, I agree with you 100%. I don't care what he said or if he meant it, I simply think its interesting to compare how I think different teams would handle it. I think the Eagles are doing a poor job.

Sure they might be handling it poorly, but for them it's a lose / lose situation. No matter how they handled it the media would crucify them regardless. And thats my point, the right/left wing media needs to go away, and fast.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
American public eats it up. If it didn't get ratings they wouldn't do it.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to think he was in line to start with Maclin out. I think it was Marcus Vick that sent out that Michael should not throw him the ball. Really, who gives a rats ass about Marcus Vick?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to think he was in line to start with Maclin out. I think it was Marcus Vick that sent out that Michael should not throw him the ball. Really, who gives a rats ass about Marcus Vick?
In Marcus Vick's defense, he isn't used to seeing a thrown football as a sign of success

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points Melt...errrrrr Jacobarch...well stated.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... I just saw the video of this! Something sure set him off, not quite sure what? But hey, this is America and everyone gets a second chance. Just hope Al Sharpen doesn't get involved, LOL

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I haven't had the chance to see the video however have heard enough on the radio to cooment on the word reportedly used. As stated on NFL radio, the 'N' word needs to be eliminated whether it is with an 'ga' or an 'ger'. Otherwise there is a double standard that nobody (especially the discriminating folks) can get past. I don't want to hear the excuses and I dont want to hear the word, so let's just get rid of it all together. Some people who bare not racist at all may use this wordnjust because it is the ultimate button push and that's how they argue, right or wro at. If they can find a way to get under your skin, then thTs the route they go.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The double standard with racism is going to seriously divide this country and cause a major race war.

The high profile African American's throw out the race card any time they get the chance. It could be over the littlest thing ever and they will make a big deal out of it.

The whites are getting tired of the double standard. White boy, whitey, cracker, etc are thrown around all the time by African American's when talking to whites, but use any word they deem inappropriate, and the racist label comes out.

This does not apply to everyone of course.

What I do find ironic though is that almost all the high profile African American's ( whether athlete, politics, etc ) are the ones that act like slavery is still alive and well and stir up all these racist topics and ignore the fact that they have become rich and wealthy by the same people they claim are racist.

If everyone would stop using anything that is deemed a racial slur, then there would be no issues.

Or, you can follow the adage, "sticks and stones" and ignore those that are not mature enough to remove such language from their vernacular.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't see it as a double standard with racism. When black people use derogatory words for white people, does that hold any gravitas? It sure seems that the overwhelming majority of crimes committed driven by racism are white on black, not the reverse.

As far as the N word goes, everyone needs to stop using it. Elevate yourself above the pond scum of humanity.

In Cooper's situation, obviously alcohol had a big part in this. Doesn't excuse the action, but is part of it. Did he commit a crime? He said a hateful word, but is that enough to lose your career over? Doesn't seem like it should be. Pay your fine, serve a short suspension if need be, then everyone needs to get over it. Funny how the 49er who said he hated gays still has his roster spot, right? Or is discrimination and hate speech only punishable in one circumstance?

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't see it as a double standard with racism. When black people use derogatory words for white people, does that hold any gravitas? It sure seems that the overwhelming majority of crimes committed driven by racism are white on black, not the reverse.

As far as the N word goes, everyone needs to stop using it. Elevate yourself above the pond scum of humanity.

In Cooper's situation, obviously alcohol had a big part in this. Doesn't excuse the action, but is part of it. Did he commit a crime? He said a hateful word, but is that enough to lose your career over? Doesn't seem like it should be. Pay your fine, serve a short suspension if need be, then everyone needs to get over it. Funny how the 49er who said he hated gays still has his roster spot, right? Or is discrimination and hate speech only punishable in one circumstance?

It's a double standard in the fact that when African Americans use racial slurs against whites, its not deemed racist. The media doesn't cover it the way they are covering this situation. However, as evidenced by this situation, the media is all over it and so is everyone else.

Also, the perception is that there is more white on black crimes. However, the media only reports those. You never, ever see a black on white crime ever reported, so how do we really know? Most only see what the media wants to report. You have to literally search to find the other stories ( or the other side of the story in some cases ).

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shop, to answer that last question it all just matters on what the media (ESPN) decides is too politically incorrect. Partially depends on how big of a news day it is when it happens.

DK7000

Busting Posey's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a double standard in the fact that when African Americans use racial slurs against whites, its not deemed racist. The media doesn't cover it the way they are covering this situation. However, as evidenced by this situation, the media is all over it and so is everyone else.

Also, the perception is that there is more white on black crimes. However, the media only reports those. You never, ever see a black on white crime ever reported, so how do we really know? Most only see what the media wants to report. You have to literally search to find the other stories ( or the other side of the story in some cases ).

Actually, there are black on white crimes that are reported & have been prosecuted as hate crimes. However, it's not nearly at the same rate as white on black hate crimes. We should be focusing on how to reduce hate crimes on all fronts instead of complaining about a "double standard" that doesn't exist.