• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Manager Situation

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting a new manager can change the direction of a team.
Managers don't really move the needle much in baseball. And sometimes the change in direction is negative.

I like the hiring of Melvin but that's not going to be how this team gets back to being a contender. They need hitting.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Managers don't really move the needle much in baseball. And sometimes the change in direction is negative.

I like the hiring of Melvin but that's not going to be how this team gets back to being a contender. They need hitting.
That seems like vacuum logic regarding strategy and league average managers. And I’d agree in that sense. But in my opinion, the vibe and culture of the team and building players confidence is way more than barely moving the needle. I mean, they got better pitching, but the Rangers lost 94 games the year before. I don’t think Bochy is worth a 32 game difference, but the right manager with the right club can definitely “move the needle”.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That seems like vacuum logic regarding strategy and league average managers. And I’d agree in that sense. But in my opinion, the vibe and culture of the team and building players confidence is way more than barely moving the needle. I mean, they got better pitching, but the Rangers lost 94 games the year before. I don’t think Bochy is worth a 32 game difference, but the right manager with the right club can definitely “move the needle”.
Fair enough. I think that kind of change only happens with the no doubt great ones, like Bochy. Is Melvin that? Haven't seen much evidence of it.

The problem remains: hitting

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I think that kind of change only happens with the no doubt great ones, like Bochy. Is Melvin that? Haven't seen much evidence of it.

The problem remains: hitting
Sure thing, you need talent to win. I just don’t think Texas got 32 games better from just players acquired. Melvin seems like he’s been good up until San Diego. Hopefully that was more Preller than Melvin. We need at least one 1/2 pitcher and at least one legit middle of the order bat. We get those and I’m guessing we can be in the mix for the playoffs. And I realize Bochy is not your typical manager.

Edit: but in fairness to Melvin, was Bochy the right hire before he got here? Had no hardware (Cept an NL Pennant)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure thing, you need talent to win. I just don’t think Texas got 32 games better from just players acquired. Melvin seems like he’s been good up until San Diego. Hopefully that was more Preller than Melvin. We need at least one 1/2 pitcher and at least one legit middle of the order bat. We get those and I’m guessing we can be in the mix for the playoffs. And I realize Bochy is not your typical manager.
Feels like we need more than 1 bat considering how our offense was after the ASB. However, potentially one of the young guys can emerge. I just don't have the same enthusiasm I used to for guys like Luciano and Ramos and Matos, now that we've seen them play. They all could be decent players, maybe even good ones. Don't see anyone on the big time star track.

But as I said, I like the Melvin hire and he should help them improve.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feels like we need more than 1 bat considering how our offense was after the ASB. However, potentially one of the young guys can emerge. I just don't have the same enthusiasm I used to for guys like Luciano and Ramos and Matos, now that we've seen them play. They all could be decent players, maybe even good ones. Don't see anyone on the big time star track.

But as I said, I like the Melvin hire and he should help them improve.
I’d prefer more than one, but if we get one legit one, a rising tide raises all boats. Plus we have to hope SS is net better from the offensive standpoint, and hopefully some bounce back seasons from folks that had performed in the past.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don’t have to acquire multiple STARs to see significant improvements. I think we need a stud 3/4 hitter, but if we get 1 or 2 other solid starter-level hitters we should be fine. Huff was not a STAR. Pagan was not a STAR. Franchez was not a STAR. Torres was a dumpster dive.

Just don’t do ONLY dumpster dives. That has been FZ’s MO in his entire career. The Dumpster dive strategy is great to augment your big acquisitions. But it can’t be the load-carrier.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The managerial merry-go-round is a bit dizzying this offseason. Consider:
  • Giants fire Gabe Kapler
  • Mets fire Buck Showalter
  • Angels fire Phil Nevin
  • Terry Francona retires from Guardians
  • Dusty Baker retires from Astros
  • Giants hire Bob Melvin from Padres
  • Guardians hire Stephen Vogt
  • Mets hire Carlos Mendoza
Now:
Brewers let Craig Counsell walk
Counsell rumored to be heading to a team with a manager already in place

That is 7 teams with managerial openings since the last week of the season, with a possible 8th team replacing their manager. And the World Series ended just a few days ago! I do wonder if this is all the movement we'll see or if a couple more bottom feeders dump their managers.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To update, Counsell has been hired by the Cubs. That means David Ross is out of a job.
So here is the list of clubs with a either an opening or have hired someone new this offseason:
  • Giants
  • Cubs
  • Brewers
  • Padres
  • Angels
  • Guardians
  • Astros
  • Mets

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The #SFGiants welcome the following new hires to the 2024 Major League coaching staff under new manager Bob Melvin:

Bench Coach - Ryan Christenson
Third Base Coach - Matt Williams
Hitting Coach - Pat Burrell

Graphic reading: “Ryan Christenson; SF Giants Bench Coach” with Christenson in a Giants uniform.

ALT

Graphic reading: “Matt Williams; SF Giants Third Base Coach” with Williams in a Giants uniform.

ALT

Graphic reading: “Pat Burrell; SF Giants Hitting Coach” with Burrell in a Giants uniform.

ALT

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I be see the playoffs now in 2024
Staring George Costanza GIF

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All 4 members of the coaching staff have played for the Giants in their career. This is very un-FZ…

But I like it.

Edit: Christensen never played for the Giants. I could have sworn he did…

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blurb from the Giants email blast ......

Forever Giants have been named to Skipper Bob Melvin’s coaching staff.

Joining the Giants are Matt Williams as Third Base Coach and Pat Burrell as Hitting Coach. Williams, who played 17 big league seasons, returns to the Giants after having played 10 seasons in San Francisco from 1987-1996. Burrell joined the Giants in 2010, helping the club win its first World Championship in San Francisco. The 12 year veteran played two seasons with the Giants, 2010 and 2011.

Ryan Christenson joins the Giants as Bench Coach, following two years with the San Diego Padres and 16 seasons with the Oakland Athletics.

Continuing with the Giants, Mark Hallberg moves to First Base Coach for his fifth season in San Francisco. Justin Viele returns for his fifth season as the Hitting Coach. Pedro Guerrero returns for his third season as the Assistant Hitting Coach. J.P. Martinez enters his fourth season as the team’s Assistant Pitching Coach. Alyssa Nakken begins her fifth season as Assistant Coach and Taira Uematsu embarks on his third season as Assistant Coach as well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we still need Pitching coach and BP coach. Squatters rights belong to Bailey as Pitching coach and (???) as BP coach…

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I assume that means Correa is officially gone? And Richardson as well?