• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RGIII's 2nd half

SkinFaninATL

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we all know that he was horrible in the 1st half, but he was in the zone in the 2nd half. He completed pass after pass. Not to mention, he did it, without the read option. I already know he can be a successful passer, without it. In addition, it gives more flexibility on play-calls in the future, as how Kaepernick was used vs. the Packers . The passes RGIII made in the 2nd half were just effortless. The two beauties he threw to Moss on the sideline and Hanks in the endzone just made me shake my head.

Overall, we needn't panic. I think RGIII was just a little rusty. He'll be just fine. In fact, I believe have a better complete game against the Packers on Sunday. As I seen on Sunday, the Packers are vulnerable against the pass. I think RGIII was humbled by his overall performance of this past game and will show everyone that it was just an aberration. :hope:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we all know that he was horrible in the 1st half, but he was in the zone in the 2nd half. He completed pass after pass. Not to mention, he did it, without the read option. I already know he can be a successful passer, without it. In addition, it gives more flexibility on play-calls in the future, as how Kaepernick was used vs. the Packers . The passes RGIII made in the 2nd half were just effortless. The two beauties he threw to Moss on the sideline and Hanks in the endzone just made me shake my head.

Overall, we needn't panic. I think RGIII was just a little rusty. He'll be just fine. In fact, I believe have a better complete game against the Packers on Sunday. As I seen on Sunday, the Packers are vulnerable against the pass. I think RGIII was humbled by his overall performance of this past game and will show everyone that it was just an aberration. :hope:

Read option is a risk that shouldn't be taken. Griffin is too good to need it, and every single hit it causes is an unnecessary risk.

apratt21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffin's to good not to use the read option. We we're beaten at our own game last night. Vick ran the read option to perfection same as RG3 did last year. It's the future. They're a lot of college QB's coming up that are trending to this style. RG3 strengths are his legs (even after two ops) and his accurate arm. Perfect for this offense. Do not believe that will get away from running it. Last night was eggshell football for RG3 in 1st half. After sleeping on this game I have to believe we will be OK, EVEN if we lose in GB. I think RG3 was scared a bit about his leg (understandably) during first live action. 2nd half he seemed to settle in after taking a few hits in the 1st half and running some in the early 2nd half. He is human after all and has emotions. He will get over the hurdle on how his knee will hold up same as with AP did last year. The guy had 20 total yards rushing in the first half and finished with 84. Baby steps on his way to over two thou.

Let RG3 get his confidence back which he got a lot in the 2nd half and then I think he will light em up again.

Last edited by a moderator:

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to run the read option, if only 2 or 3 times a game and RG3 runs it out of bounds. We have to keep the defense honest. Last night, Philly knew RG3 wasn't going to run. The put 7 on the line to stop morris. It worked. But if RG3 once in a while pulls it out (no pun intended) and takes off, all the sudden the defenses start backing off. Just like we did with Vick last night, opening huge holes for McCoy.

The read option is the near future. There are already 6-8 teams that have incorporated some sort of read option into their playbook and as other teams get the talent, more will go that way. It's the only way to neutralize the new breed of big, fast, athletic DE/OLBs that are killing pocket passers.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read option is a risk that shouldn't be taken. Griffin is too good to need it, and every single hit it causes is an unnecessary risk.

This is a statement by someone who doesn't watch the team much or doesn't understand football. The reason the Redskins had so much success last year was because of the read option. It had such a postive effect the 49ers changed QBs and Wilson had a very good 2nd half of the year. All due to the read option.

Chris Cooley said today if Robert doesn't run some read option he becomes a less effective QB. I agree. I'd rather see Cousins play if you aren't going to have Griffin run a few read option plays a game.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did every one lose their minds over this loss?? Last night clearly proved a couple of things.

1. We dont HAVE to run the read option. Once he shook off the rust, Griffin was doing quite well as a pocket passer. Give him a couple more weeks to get back into the swing of things and I think you see a very different team that CAN run the read option. But doesnt have to.

2. Mistakes early will derail any game plan. Dont see this being an ongoing thing.

apratt21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did every one lose their minds over this loss?? Last night clearly proved a couple of things.

1. We dont HAVE to run the read option. Once he shook off the rust, Griffin was doing quite well as a pocket passer. Give him a couple more weeks to get back into the swing of things and I think you see a very different team that CAN run the read option. But doesnt have to.

2. Mistakes early will derail any game plan. Dont see this being an ongoing thing.

I think we need the read option. Obviously Philly knew Griff wasn't gonna run any last night and played their defense back a bit. 80% of Griffins passes were dump offs because the receiver was wide the fuck open. Granted it moved the ball some in the 2nd half but other teams now after seeing Griffin in the 2nd half will expect him to run some and the wide open dump offs won't be there...unless we run the read option. We are in bed with this offense and quite frankly she's pretty damn smoking.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need the read option. Obviously Philly knew Griff wasn't gonna run any last night and played their defense back a bit. 80% of Griffins passes were dump offs because the receiver was wide the fuck open. Granted it moved the ball some in the 2nd half but other teams now after seeing Griffin in the 2nd half will expect him to run some and the wide open dump offs won't be there...unless we run the read option. We are in bed with this offense and quite frankly she's pretty damn smoking.

got to disagree. If all we have is the read option, or the threat of the read option, then you are saying we really arent a very good team.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, I got to disagree with you. When you have a line up of power hitters, you play long ball. When you have shooters, you game is run and gun. When you have a unique talent like RG3, you run and throw. Why take that threat away? And why, because the read option makes us a more complete offensive threat, does that make us not a very good team? In fact, it is what makes us a very dangerous team. We need not to succumb to those that want to make RG3 a traditional pocket passer. Why would we want to do that?? He can be an evolutionary player if we let him use all of his strengths. He just has to learn to run smart, let those that wish they had this talent talk about limiting him.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, I got to disagree with you. When you have a line up of power hitters, you play long ball. When you have shooters, you game is run and gun. When you have a unique talent like RG3, you run and throw. Why take that threat away? And why, because the read option makes us a more complete offensive threat, does that make us not a very good team? In fact, it is what makes us a very dangerous team. We need not to succumb to those that want to make RG3 a traditional pocket passer. Why would we want to do that?? He can be an evolutionary player if we let him use all of his strengths. He just has to learn to run smart, let those that wish they had this talent talk about limiting him.

J-Y...Im not saying you take that threat away. Im saying you dont make it your bread and butter. Im saying that its a serious dis to his actual talent to say, oh we have got to run the zone read. I think he is better than that and it should be a part of his game. But NOT what our offense, or RG3's game is based off of. We should be a dangerous team even if griffin simply drops back 35 times a game and scrambles 5 times a game with only 3-5 actual rushes.

FLSkinsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J-Y...Im not saying you take that threat away. Im saying you dont make it your bread and butter. Im saying that its a serious dis to his actual talent to say, oh we have got to run the zone read. I think he is better than that and it should be a part of his game. But NOT what our offense, or RG3's game is based off of. We should be a dangerous team even if griffin simply drops back 35 times a game and scrambles 5 times a game with only 3-5 actual rushes.

I agree that we have to drop back pass more, but we can not ignore the read option play. Last year they were all talking about how great of a play action pass game we had. If you do not have the threat of run then they can blitz and that will cause problems with out OL. We are a run first team and that is part or our run offense. Also when we do the option pass it opens up a lot of plays up field due to safeties biting on the play fake. I am not saying to run it all the time, but 7 to 9 plays a game with RG3 running 3 to 4 (and getting out of bounds) would be a nice mix.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that we have to drop back pass more, but we can not ignore the read option play. Last year they were all talking about how great of a play action pass game we had. If you do not have the threat of run then they can blitz and that will cause problems with out OL. We are a run first team and that is part or our run offense. Also when we do the option pass it opens up a lot of plays up field due to safeties biting on the play fake. I am not saying to run it all the time, but 7 to 9 plays a game with RG3 running 3 to 4 (and getting out of bounds) would be a nice mix.

Perfectly stated and I totally agree. I would add that our Oline is not built for prolonged pass protection. It is structured towards zone blocking and read option, thus the necessity for the THREAT of the QB running to have good play action. Griff HAS to run only a few times to keep the D in check. He just needs to do it smartly. It's truly a very small percentage that it's used. I think we averaged 10 plays a game last year and I expect it would be even less this year.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually think we are all saying the same thing in regards to griff running less/smarter and passing more.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Understood and I think we are in agreement.

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Year to year'teams get'better or worse for us we are on the worse side not because of rg3 or shaney its because mara and goodellpoop fellas I know you don't want to hear it but we will not make playoffs noway nohow.

bworku

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of notes about the second half:

1) What impressed me the most is that he was completing these passes and clicking at a time when everyone in the stadium KNEW we were going to pass. We had a lot of points to cover and so they prepared to stop the pass and we still got them off. Really like that last TD to Hank. Sort of like when we knew they were running in the first half and still couldn't stop it :-(

2) What got me more than the read-option was the lack of bootleg plays. I may have missed them but the Eagles collapsed the pocket a lot. I understand you don't want RG3 running 40 yards but get him moving and out of danger. He is an excellent passer on the run, something that Shanahan has been known to use since his Elway days. I was surprised they didn't use it much.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple of notes about the second half:

1) What impressed me the most is that he was completing these passes and clicking at a time when everyone in the stadium KNEW we were going to pass. We had a lot of points to cover and so they prepared to stop the pass and we still got them off. Really like that last TD to Hank. Sort of like when we knew they were running in the first half and still couldn't stop it :-(

2) What got me more than the read-option was the lack of bootleg plays. I may have missed them but the Eagles collapsed the pocket a lot. I understand you don't want RG3 running 40 yards but get him moving and out of danger. He is an excellent passer on the run, something that Shanahan has been known to use since his Elway days. I was surprised they didn't use it much.

:agree: With the bootleg comment....I dont recall that they did any bootlegs at all......plus it puts the threat of run out there, and really opens up the underneath crossing patters, that could result in long gains

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it safe to say, Morris and Forbath cost us that game too? Morris looked unbelievably shook. He'll be swinging for the fences in GB though....

images

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That loss was a team loss. No one player/coach can be blamed. Mistakes were abundant.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again...he's doing this while we are down by 30.

Can he be a good pocket passer...sure.

Is that what makes him special...NO.

He should be running the read option at least twice/game.