• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RG3 Trade? Was it worth it?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we had traded Bradford we would have had significant cap issues in 2012. It would have moved Bradford's 2012 $12M salary off our books but it would have brought forward the 2013 - 2015 cap hits for his signing bonus, ($10.8M). We would also have had RG3's 2012 cap figure, ($3.8). We finished with less than $200K of our cap after spending on Finnegan & Wells. I fully accept that we could have restructured some deals to move the cap figures back for other players. (Obviously we would have had Bradford's vacated 2013 - 2015 cap space available). It would have been awkward but it could have been done. There were plenty of people saying that we couldn't trade Bradford because of his cap figures.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Bradford didn't have the same trade value as the pick because of the cap hit. So that's a tough argument to make as well.

I agree.

It's just that you if you're factoring in if the trade is worth it you can't just simply look solely at the draft picks you got from trading the pick and would have to factor in some of the picks you would've gotten if you took RGIII and traded Bradford.

Hard to tell what you would've gotten for Bradford because all it takes is a team or two convinced he's a franchise QB to go after him. I mean I never would've ever guessed the 9ers would've gotten what the picks they did for Alex Smith. So a QB starved team might've offered up a 1st and 3rd and maybe a 2nd rounder the next year or some conditional picks for Bradford.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

It's just that you if you're factoring in if the trade is worth it you can't just simply look solely at the draft picks you got from trading the pick and would have to factor in some of the picks you would've gotten if you took RGIII and traded Bradford.

Hard to tell what you would've gotten for Bradford because all it takes is a team or two convinced he's a franchise QB to go after him. I mean I never would've ever guessed the 9ers would've gotten what the picks they did for Alex Smith. So a QB starved team might've offered up a 1st and 3rd and maybe a 2nd rounder the next year or some conditional picks for Bradford.
And lets be real: if we had the #1 pick and Luck, we would have done something like this. I think while many people thought RG3 was the best prospect, he also had a higher bust likelihood, too

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Way too early. But the Rams needed picks and the Redskins needed a QB. We'll see who the gamers end up being.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I posted is the end result of the trades. You have to keep following the trades that resulted because of the initial trade

I understood your post Clayton.

What I was saying is that Pead and Watkins were acquired due to the trade with Dallas. That was the result of the Jags trade up rather than just trading the Skins pick. After Blackmon was gone ( who the Rams were going to take ), their draft strategy changed and resulted in another trade down.

This year, they took the Skins pick and traded with Atlanta, not because their guy was taken before them ( like Blackmon was ), but because they knew the guy they wanted could be had later while accumulating extra picks.

I don't count Pead and Watkins ( who no longer counts anyways ) because that was a result of the Rams missing out on Blackmon and therefore made a trade. Had Blackmon still been there and the Rams decided to trade anyways ( which wouldn't have happened because Fisher was pi$$ed when Blackmon was taken ), then that would be a different story.

You can count all the trades if you like, but I just see the 2nd trade down differently than you and therefore don't count it as part of the initial trade.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course the trade was worth it - for both sides!

Our two first rounders next year will be OT and DT - just wait and see!

Or, if Bradford busts, a QB. I would expect something close to BPA, since most of the glaring holes have been filled. RB could be another consideration, depending on how the 3 (5?) headed monster performs this year.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our two first rounders next year will be OT and DT - just wait and see!

I think you have that HALF right since Saffold is a free agent at the end of the year, which means he will probably be gone. I think you will see OT and OLB as the choices

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understood your post Clayton.

What I was saying is that Pead and Watkins were acquired due to the trade with Dallas. That was the result of the Jags trade up rather than just trading the Skins pick. After Blackmon was gone ( who the Rams were going to take ), their draft strategy changed and resulted in another trade down.

This year, they took the Skins pick and traded with Atlanta, not because their guy was taken before them ( like Blackmon was ), but because they knew the guy they wanted could be had later while accumulating extra picks.

I don't count Pead and Watkins ( who no longer counts anyways ) because that was a result of the Rams missing out on Blackmon and therefore made a trade. Had Blackmon still been there and the Rams decided to trade anyways ( which wouldn't have happened because Fisher was pi$$ed when Blackmon was taken ), then that would be a different story.

You can count all the trades if you like, but I just see the 2nd trade down differently than you and therefore don't count it as part of the initial trade.
But its a genealogy. Those picks don't exist without the trade regardless of who we wanted. I can't say that we got Blackmon in the trade and it would be disingenuous to suggest that we didn't get more out of the deal.

And yeah, we already have one low round bust but we have also had some good production out of 2 players.

My guess is our 2 first rounders will be OT and RB.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of next years draft, anyone find a guy they love yet?

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't developed a favorite yet - too much can happen during the college football season - Manziel might even fall to us!!!

The reason I believe one of our two firsts will be DT is because of Langford's contract and the fact we really don't have a starting caliber backup at the position. Also, I cringe at the thought of another injury to Brockers.

OLB and RB will be considerations for the second and third rounds to add to the mix at those positions.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously the clear favorite that everyone has is Clowney. I really liked Ronny Shell at PITT but woh the transfer to WVU we'll have to see how he develops.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of next years draft, anyone find a guy they love yet?
Guys I'll be watching:

Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
Marquis Lee WR USC
Haha Clinton-Dix S Alabama
Cyrus Koundijo OT Alabama
Louis Nix DT and the real reason Notre Dame had a good defense last year.
Bradley Roby CB Urban Meyer's Outreach to Troubled Thugs
Lache Seastrunk RB Baylor

I take back what I said about how we'll be taking a RB. Not sure there is a top 20 RB prospect at this point.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louis Nix is a better player than Manti IMO. Not even close

Eriko212121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the RG3 trade is great for the Rams in the long run. This team hasn't finished receiving compensation and they are already one of the most talented young teams

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jake Mathews and Taylor Lewan will be gone before our first pick. That said, the guys I'll be watching:

OT - Antonio Richardson - Tennessee - plays well against Clowney
OT - James Hurst - North Carolina

DT - Anthony Johnson - LSU

It all starts up front!!!

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ram, the Skins could collapse this year, that'd be ideal

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ram, the Skins could collapse this year, that'd be ideal
Matthews and Lewan are also RT prospects until they prove otherwise which is probably why they went back to college.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mutigers & clayton - If the Skins collapse and we draft in the top 8, I see a trade down unless Clowney is the pick. Trading down to pick up another 2nd rounder will allow us to add OLB or RB at that spot. Also, we will draft OT before DT.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My general hope is that Clowney goes to the AFC. I could see him slapping around olineman like Deacon Jones and being really, really good

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Jacksonville, Oakland, New York Jets, and Buffalo pretty much assured of being at the top of the draft, I'm sure Clowney won't be terrorizing us on a regular basis.