• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RFA deadline expires for Doug Baldwin

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday was the deadline that he could of signed an offer sheet with another team.

This means he's officially locked in with the Seahawks for the 2014 season.

He can either play for the terms of his 2014 tender or could sign a contact deal to stay this year or longer at any time if the two sides work something out. Either way, he's a Hawk this fall.

:suds::10:

Last edited by a moderator:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin has also signed a waiver with the Seahawks so he can and will participate in all off-season activities. So even if it takes awhile to figure out a new contract, he'll be spending the rest of the offseason as if he's playing for this team.

Per NBCsports--- Baldwin was tendered at the second-round level, which means any team signing him to an offer sheet would have had to give up a second-round pick in next week’s draft if the Seahawks didn’t match. Baldwin is coming off a solid season (50 catches for 778 yards and five touchdowns), but a second-round pick is a lot to give up, and it would have been a surprise if any team had made him an offer.

Although Baldwin may take his time about signing his restricted free agent tender because he’d prefer a long-term contract, it’s likely that he’ll end up playing the 2014 season on the $2.187 million salary that comes with the second-round tender. And then he’ll either do a new deal with the Seahawks or hit free agency next year.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big play Baldwin back in the house!!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I considered it a done deal long ago, but nice to have it official. Baldwin just gets the job done, sweet to have him back.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hunch is what once Sherman's deal is finalized they can concentrate on guys like Baldwin, Avril, KJ Wright and guys like that. Obviously cant resign everyone but getting our core locked is 1st priority.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hunch is what once Sherman's deal is finalized they can concentrate on guys like Baldwin, Avril, KJ Wright and guys like that. Obviously cant resign everyone but getting our core locked is 1st priority.

Ya to me it's going to show us who they feel are the core of the team. And I really hope Bobby Wagner is one, he's been a stud since he was drafted.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya to me it's going to show us who they feel are the core of the team. And I really hope Bobby Wagner is one, he's been a stud since he was drafted.
Agree 100%. I think he has two years left like Russell so we can start thinking about him next off season.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The way I see it between Maxwell, Wright, Wagner and Avril one of them is going to have to be let go if not two. I know the cap is going up the next few years and JS and co seem to be pretty damn good at negotiating the cap, but at some point you are going to hit a wall. The question is which of those guys do you keep and who do you let walk. Those are decisions I'm glad I don't have to make.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it between Maxwell, Wright, Wagner and Avril one of them is going to have to be let go if not two. I know the cap is going up the next few years and JS and co seem to be pretty damn good at negotiating the cap, but at some point you are going to hit a wall. The question is which of those guys do you keep and who do you let walk. Those are decisions I'm glad I don't have to make.

That will be a tough decision. IMO, you keep Wagner and Avril. Wagner will be tough as I get a feeling he is very highly regarded and will get lots of good offers once he hits FA.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have to wait and see on Avril, but my gut tells me this is his last year on the team.

If Mayowa or Irvin or Scruggs can step up and show some pass rush ability then Avril is expendable.

Then there's the possibility that Avril plays so well he prices himself off the team.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have to wait and see on Avril, but my gut tells me this is his last year on the team.

If Mayowa or Irvin or Scruggs can step up and show some pass rush ability then Avril is expendable.

Then there's the possibility that Avril plays so well he prices himself off the team.

Avril has a BIG cap number this year and he is 30 this year I believe.

I think that we will look for younger, cheaper options at the LEO. We will need Avril's money elsewhere.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avril has a BIG cap number this year and he is 30 this year I believe.

I think that we will look for younger, cheaper options at the LEO. We will need Avril's money elsewhere.

We still got Avril at a somewhat reduced price compared to what the market was saying. He was considered the best edge rusher in FA that year.

The Lions offered him 3 years, 30 million. He took the Seahawks offer of 2 years, 15 million (with some of that based on incentives).

His cap hit is one of the bigger ones for the Seahawks this year, but that's how the deal was structured. Base for 2013 was 1.5 mil, but for 2014 it was 7 mil. 2.250 mil signing bonuses each year. So yes, his cap hit is 9.250 this year. But that won't be the case in 2015.

He's been a great fit for our defense. The deal worked out beautifully. Both the original Bennett and Avril deals were well below market value. Schneidered!!! Boom!!!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still got Avril at a somewhat reduced price compared to what the market was saying. He was considered the best edge rusher in FA that year.

The Lions offered him 3 years, 30 million. He took the Seahawks offer of 2 years, 15 million (with some of that based on incentives).

His cap hit is one of the bigger ones for the Seahawks this year, but that's how the deal was structured. Base for 2013 was 1.5 mil, but for 2014 it was 7 mil. 2.250 mil signing bonuses each year. So yes, his cap hit is 9.250 this year. But that won't be the case in 2015.

He's been a great fit for our defense. The deal worked out beautifully. Both the original Bennett and Avril deals were well below market value. Schneidered!!! Boom!!!

Yeah, I would agree it worked out to perfection, but 2015 will be a whole other ball of wax. I'm not sure he'll be retained, just depends on the market. I'm starting to lean to thinking the Seahawks will look for a pass rusher in the upcoming draft.