• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still prefer the Revelations series of games to 5, but perhaps you're right and my disdain is more in line with it being a horror-less RE game with bad writing(I'll never forgive Capcom for having a QTE where Chris punches a boulder)
Punching the boulder was a definite jump the shark moment.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I absolutely adore this game and can't recommend it enough. For those of you who haven't played yet but are fans of the original RE2, this game will bring back a lot of nostalgic memories while maintaining a fresh balance to keep you surprised. For those who haven't played the original, this game will be even more tense as they have made the game a lot more difficult than the original(zombies in the original used to take 5-6 handgun bullets where as the zombies in the remake can take 5-6 headshots before death). Also, the Mr. X Tyrant in the remake is MUCH MUCH more stressful and tense than the original and changes the way you handle exploration after starting to get settled in(which is brilliant game design IMO).

I'd give this game a solid 9 or 9.5/10
I did miss certain parts of the original. Like Claires bolt gun. But the fun in that was sticking the crows to the wall in the hallway. Other than that the only part I didn't like was the Shelly section. Chief Irons had to be pushing 300 lbs. And it felt like he ran a 4.2 40 with acid in his eyes. But I saw the game kinda like Halloween loved the original but also loved the remake being different.

Game design w2as awesome tho. Mr X did add to the game Capcom did a killer job on the remake imo. Almost felt more like RE crossed with the walking dead in a way. Graphics were nuts compared to the original. Gotta sit down and play the scenarios again I only binged it quick

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not impressed for a $60 game.

Pros:
+Looks nice.
+Voice acting is done well.
+Atmosphere of the police station was nice.

Cons:
-Enemies removed from the original. No spiders/crows? RE1 remake kept everything and actually added new ones.
-Inconsistent mechanics (some zombies die with one shot, others take 8).
-Zombies just latch on to you making running by them fairly impossible in many instances given their ridiculous grab animation which cuts to the same thing every time.
-Mr. X was just fuckin' tedious after a while. It was adrenaline pumping initially, then just became annoying. And if you are forced to shoot a zombie he comes along so you have to run away or come back. They clearly added this so the game feels longer.
-Claire's playthrough was basically identical to Leon's save for a few moments. Really fighting the exact same bosses the same way? I get going back to the same area, but c'mon... do SOMETHING different. Add some new bosses and locations to explore.
-No difficult or thought provoking puzzles by switching to a harder mode. Silent Hill you could actually choose the difficulty for combat and puzzles.
-Removed some locations/areas (why remove anything? They should've kept it in and added more).
-Soundtrack, what soundtrack?

I mean it's an okay game, but should've been $29.99 for the content we were given. $70 for the deluxe edition? WTF?

I think the game is WAY overhyped, people are saying this is a GOTY candidate? Uh.... wow, didn't realize we were in 'that' state of gaming, where a pretty looking remake with a bunch of new shittier mechanics is GOTY.

RE1 remake was actually longer (in most cases, about 7-10 hours first playthrough, this is like 5 hours) and that was 2002... in 2019 I expect more from a game.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the game is WAY overhyped, people are saying this is a GOTY candidate? Uh.... wow, didn't realize we were in 'that' state of gaming, where a pretty looking remake with a bunch of new shittier mechanics is GOTY.
I dont think its GOTY. Its in the same boat as Shadow of the Colossus, imo, which scored the same with critics. I don't think gaming is in a great spot right now compared to 2015-2017 but Last of Us 2 and/or Cyberpunk is going to totally blow people away when they come out so something like this doesn't have GOTY chances.

The big difference between the two is the price point so I see the gripe there. Capcom's price points are all over the place. I picked up RE7 for like $15 on the Black Friday the year it came out. RE:Make I got for free on PS+. They get some people to pay more so others pay less.

drbuck10

Viva La Revolucion
Hoopla Cash
$ 877.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pros:
+Looks nice.
+Voice acting is done well.
+Atmosphere of the police station was nice.

Cons:
-Enemies removed from the original. No spiders/crows? RE1 remake kept everything and actually added new ones.
-Inconsistent mechanics (some zombies die with one shot, others take 8).
-Zombies just latch on to you making running by them fairly impossible in many instances given their ridiculous grab animation which cuts to the same thing every time.
-Mr. X was just fuckin' tedious after a while. It was adrenaline pumping initially, then just became annoying. And if you are forced to shoot a zombie he comes along so you have to run away or come back. They clearly added this so the game feels longer.
-Claire's playthrough was basically identical to Leon's save for a few moments. Really fighting the exact same bosses the same way? I get going back to the same area, but c'mon... do SOMETHING different. Add some new bosses and locations to explore.
-No difficult or thought provoking puzzles by switching to a harder mode. Silent Hill you could actually choose the difficulty for combat and puzzles.
-Removed some locations/areas (why remove anything? They should've kept it in and added more).
-Soundtrack, what soundtrack?

I mean it's an okay game, but should've been $29.99 for the content we were given. $70 for the deluxe edition? WTF?

RE1 remake was actually longer (in most cases, about 7-10 hours first playthrough, this is like 5 hours) and that was 2002... in 2019 I expect more from a game.
Some valid points here:

-I too wished they brought in spiders(doesn't make much sense to have blue herbs when there aren't any poisonous enemies).

-I appreciate that zombies are harder to dodge and are an overall tougher enemy than any of the other Resident Evil games. When you get past waxing nostalgia it's easy to see that zombies are a minor annoyance in the older RE games once you get past the handgun being your only weapon.

-I LOVE the mechanics of Mr. X in this game. I can see how some can find his inclusion annoying, but I think it adds a sense of tension and need to familiarize oneself with the map. I loved how uncomfortable he made me and had me really learn to adapt just to finish with the bookcases in the library.

-No arguments on the scenarios being very similar, besides the difference with the A or B scenarios(however, that was EXACTLY the way it was in the original RE2).

-I've never found RE's puzzles to be all that difficult or thought-provoking(besides the water puzzle in RE3), more or less a test of trial and error.

-not sure what locations were removed, I honestly can't think of an area that wasn't included.

-I appreciate the soundtrack to the game but it is pretty nice to use the original RE2 soundtrack, very nice touch.

RDR2 is still my personal favorite for GOTY but I thought RE2 Remake was damn good, my only complaint truly so far is the short length of the game and the DLC is pretty weak(but it's free so I don't really care that much).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some valid points here:

-I too wished they brought in spiders(doesn't make much sense to have blue herbs when there aren't any poisonous enemies).

-I appreciate that zombies are harder to dodge and are an overall tougher enemy than any of the other Resident Evil games. When you get past waxing nostalgia it's easy to see that zombies are a minor annoyance in the older RE games once you get past the handgun being your only weapon.

-I LOVE the mechanics of Mr. X in this game. I can see how some can find his inclusion annoying, but I think it adds a sense of tension and need to familiarize oneself with the map. I loved how uncomfortable he made me and had me really learn to adapt just to finish with the bookcases in the library.

-No arguments on the scenarios being very similar, besides the difference with the A or B scenarios(however, that was EXACTLY the way it was in the original RE2).

-I've never found RE's puzzles to be all that difficult or thought-provoking(besides the water puzzle in RE3), more or less a test of trial and error.

-not sure what locations were removed, I honestly can't think of an area that wasn't included.

-I appreciate the soundtrack to the game but it is pretty nice to use the original RE2 soundtrack, very nice touch.

RDR2 is still my personal favorite for GOTY but I thought RE2 Remake was damn good, my only complaint truly so far is the short length of the game and the DLC is pretty weak(but it's free so I don't really care that much).

I mean end of day I agree with a lot of what you said except Mr. X (it just got fuckin' annoying after some time, ESPECIALLY on the 2nd playthrough) and zombies being a tougher enemy. Fine, make them take 2-3 headshots.... stop making them take 8 headshots in one scenario and 1 headshot in another - it's a fucked up mechanic, especially since the RE series (and zombies in general) have ALWAYS implied a headshot is lethal.

To me that screams, "Let's convert to aiming/3rd person mode!" "Oh great idea, what about the zombies though and headshots?" "Uh jeez, I dunno, just uh.... make it a random lottery mechanic from 1-8 shots, with 8 being the most common." "Got it." "And uh!!! Make them have like a 25% chance of getting up after!" "Sweet bro!" Utter garbage.

The short length of the game was fine, but not for $60. It was lazy. What would I like? An entire re-creation/take of the game or a Claire mission that is significantly different from Leon's and/or vice versa.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I've finally put enough time into RE2 Remake to share my thoughts.

1) Its totally worth $60 even though its going to far less now. The trophy data has first run completion a little over 50% and hardcore trophies in the 5-10% range. Thats a great curve because those hard trophies look legitimately difficult. First playthrough was about 14 hours for me. Thats fine for a game with minimal story. Second playthrough is different enough to keep things interesting but I'll admit its not the same well paced game that the first playthrough is. Some unlockables like costumes and concept art. Havent gotten around to Ghost Survivors but it looks neat.

2) The random durability of the zombies is fantastic for this style of game. It leads to the same unexpected moments that you want from an action/horror title.

3) I'm actually a little upset I played through the game on the default instead of hardcore for that classic retro experience with increased challenge from the variable and tough zombies. The default difficulty was fine, though. Dying a lot in video games is actually bad for immersion and horror, imo. Being right next to death or sweating ammo all of the time is much more tense. The only two points I got wrecked in the game is when I played as Ada and the penultimate boss. Ada was because she didnt have a flashlight and I was too busy looking at the hack lines to notice things in the dark. The boss was just me trying to dodge backwards instead of running through the attacks.

4) Some of the issues I had with The Last of Us 1 combat come up here but the style of game makes the combat way better in RE2 Remake. There are way fewer enemies that run at you in RE2 so the controls make sense. TLOU has everything running and you're constantly dealing with multiple enemies, cover, stealth, bad AI, etc and the whole thing doesnt fit. RE2 Remake shows that sometimes less is more with combat. Or maybe thats just me.

5) Graphics are amazing but the detail is only...ok? Definitely not going to confuse the environments for a Naughty Dog game. The amount of detail with the gore is perfect and that does go a long way.

6) The level design of the game as a whole is great but the first Act is definitely the most interesting. The police station itself is a puzzle and its just a great experience. Getting good at RE2R requires more skill than your average action game because of the need to plan ahead and keeping your eyes peeled and figuring things out. Its not hard. Just an extra layer of depth.

7) The game fails at story and dialogue. Leons voice actor in particular kinda stinks but the dialogue is just hokey. I think everyone is fine with that but it keeps the game from being that 'all around' experience that many are looking for.

This is definitely the best Resident Evil I've played. I do think there is room for improvement here just based on what they left behind in the old RE2 and just making the boss fights a hair better. I know the RE4 quick time events are dated and not immersive but they do allow for more ambitious bosses. I think with minimal applications they can work here. I know RE3 Remake has some sort of roll so thats probably the compromise. I'll have to get around to playing that.