• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report's now surfacing that the Bears are shopping Matt Forte

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Matt Forte on Chicago Bears trading block?

Of course, we have no idea how legitimate these reports are. However, with everything going down the past few days. This isn't exactly a shock, I suppose.

This is kind of odd for the NFL. MLB fire sales? Sure, the deadline is a huge part of the sport. NBA teams out of contention dealing veterans? Sure. NFL teams in week 3, throwing in the towel and dealing anyone they can get something for? Kind of puzzling.

Don't get me wrong, I get it. It's just not something you see. You don't exactly get a good return for football players. Their life spans are short. Oh well, I guess pile on the draft picks. Heard speculation that it could be a 4th round pick in return. Was hoping for a 3rd. Pipe dreaming for a 2nd.

But hey... Jerry Jones once dealt a first round pick for Roy E Williams to Detroit. Let's get him on the phone!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya it's not normal but it is further proof how bad things got here the last few years. I'm glad this staff recognizes and reacts. I don't wanna lose Forte but tough decisions must be made. We might lose him with no compensation at the end of the year anyway. AJ is not in on the fire sale list so that is great. Hope that means were gonna offer him the money he'll want to stay. This is further proof this staff is not afraid to do things.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a little tidbit from one of my sources....

Dallas called about getting Forte and it was Fox, not Pace that nixed the trade

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya it's not normal but it is further proof how bad things got here the last few years. I'm glad this staff recognizes and reacts. I don't wanna lose Forte but tough decisions must be made. We might lose him with no compensation at the end of the year anyway. AJ is not in on the fire sale list so that is great. Hope that means were gonna offer him the money he'll want to stay. This is further proof this staff is not afraid to do things.
A.J. would not get much in return because every team knows he will be a free agent. He is likely to overpriced himself out of the Bears compensation range.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another problem though is Forte wants another three year deal after this at 8-10 per. Odds are someone else might give that to him next year anyway.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still a top 5 back and will be in the HOF one day.

His durability has been one of his strongest attributes. Hell, anybody see him get Johnny Knoxed on Sunday? I thought he'd be done for awhile and he was right back in there!?

He's awesome and I'd hate to see him go. I kind of hate free agency in that regard,. Since it's inception, players finishing with the team they started with is extinct.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This says otherwise.
Unfortunately, NFL rules will keep Bears from full-scale fire sale
From Mike Mulligan
The problem with trading Forte is that you would never receive proper value in return. Set aside the sentimentality of trading away your most productive offensive player and effectively betraying every other guy on the team. As a practical matter, the team that trades for Forte would have to pay him $414,705 every week along with another $66,625 roster bonus in every game check.

In other words, a team trading for Forte would have to have nearly $7 million in salary-cap space available. Only a dozen of the NFL's 32 teams have at least $10 million in available salary-cap room. It's too early for a team to lock up that much money on a player at this point with the potential for so many injuries in the next month before the Nov. 3 trade deadline.

Most likely, a team would need at least $15 million in cap space to trade for Forte. Only four teams fit that profile: The Jaguars ($33.5 million), Titans ($26 million), Browns ($24 million) and Raiders ($16 million). It's unlikely any of them are heading to the playoffs and view Forte as the missing piece to get them there.

There you have it...
Do you want to
A. betray your team... this says- yep we're done this year, shipping out most productive offensive player.
B. Don't have the trade partners with cap space to do it.
C. Teams with cap space are not likely to
D. What's the highest expected draft pick in return? nothing above a 5th rounder.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This says otherwise.
From Mike Mulligan
The problem with trading Forte is that you would never receive proper value in return. Set aside the sentimentality of trading away your most productive offensive player and effectively betraying every other guy on the team. As a practical matter, the team that trades for Forte would have to pay him $414,705 every week along with another $66,625 roster bonus in every game check.

In other words, a team trading for Forte would have to have nearly $7 million in salary-cap space available. Only a dozen of the NFL's 32 teams have at least $10 million in available salary-cap room. It's too early for a team to lock up that much money on a player at this point with the potential for so many injuries in the next month before the Nov. 3 trade deadline.

Most likely, a team would need at least $15 million in cap space to trade for Forte. Only four teams fit that profile: The Jaguars ($33.5 million), Titans ($26 million), Browns ($24 million) and Raiders ($16 million). It's unlikely any of them are heading to the playoffs and view Forte as the missing piece to get them there.

There you have it...
Do you want to
A. betray your team... this says- yep we're done this year, shipping out most productive offensive player.
D. What's the highest expected draft pick in return? nothing above a 5th rounder.

Jesus christ thats a lot of money! I would love him on the patriots though... But not for that much

C

cubzzzfanincali

Another problem though is Forte wants another three year deal after this at 8-10 per. Odds are someone else might give that to him next year anyway.

This is a good point. So in effect any team is doing it to win this season and this season only. That pretty much limits what we get back in return, and would probably narrow the list down to Oakland, Green Bay (if Lacy gets hurt, although a mid-season trade wouldn't be a very typical move for them), Dallas, Atlanta, and maybe Denver (although Denver would be pretty tight against their cap). The other potential teams would have to do something significant about their cap space, so that rules out teams that otherwise could be in mix like Arizona, New England, and Carolina.

If something happens, it seems like it would have to be Oakland, Dallas, or Atlanta. Oakland isn't going to deal as long as Murray is playing well, but if they are still playing well and he gets hurt, that could change. It is a dumb move for Dallas but they aren't above doing dumb moves. Atlanta is the most interesting prospect.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Report: Matt Forte on Chicago Bears trading block?

Of course, we have no idea how legitimate these reports are. However, with everything going down the past few days. This isn't exactly a shock, I suppose.

This is kind of odd for the NFL. MLB fire sales? Sure, the deadline is a huge part of the sport. NBA teams out of contention dealing veterans? Sure. NFL teams in week 3, throwing in the towel and dealing anyone they can get something for? Kind of puzzling.

Don't get me wrong, I get it. It's just not something you see. You don't exactly get a good return for football players. Their life spans are short. Oh well, I guess pile on the draft picks. Heard speculation that it could be a 4th round pick in return. Was hoping for a 3rd. Pipe dreaming for a 2nd.
!

it's different in the NFL than MLB because of the higher prevalence of injuries in football, which makes trades rarer. In the new CBA cap environment, that makes mistakes harder to swallow.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's assume he gets dealt and the Bears get the #1 pick in the 2016 draft. Are there any good RB prospects in next year's draft? Looks like Ezekiel Elliott is the top rated RB. Or should they fill another need since RB's haven't been highly drafted in recent years?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm...no he doesn't.....do you just make shit up?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This says otherwise.
From Mike Mulligan

There you have it...
Do you want to
I'd trade Mike Mulligan if I could and that Hanley character......if the price is right you can trade forte and still get thru the season with all the hurt feelings.....LMFAO

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His durability has been one of his strongest attributes. Hell, anybody see him get Johnny Knoxed on Sunday? I thought he'd be done for awhile and he was right back in there!?

He's awesome and I'd hate to see him go. I kind of hate free agency in that regard,. Since it's inception, players finishing with the team they started with is extinct.

Dont know if he is able to be franchised with his years served, but its 9.5 this year. He refused to sign it once before. If they could tag him they can just do one more year. I highly doubt he is giving any discounts. I think the bigger deal is committing the offense to the run and then sending the productive running back away, even though Carey and Langston are here to pick up the slack.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm...no he doesn't.....do you just make shit up?

You are telling us that he did not go to Pace and Fox and tell them he wanted an extension? Where have you been other than up everyones asses here?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's assume he gets dealt and the Bears get the #1 pick in the 2016 draft. Are there any good RB prospects in next year's draft? Looks like Ezekiel Elliott is the top rated RB. Or should they fill another need since RB's haven't been highly drafted in recent years?

A RB will probably never go #1 again

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He will not be in the hall of fame. Absolutely no chance.

I am clearly a Forte fan, but him being in the HOF would be a joke.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will not be in the hall of fame. Absolutely no chance.

I am clearly a Forte fan, but him being in the HOF would be a joke.

If he plays 3 more seasons at a similar pace, he will have 10000 yds rushing and 5000 yds receiving.

There are only 4 other backs in the history of the game that have accomplished that.

Ya, a ring would help, but to say it's a joke, is a joke.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best case scenario is we are competitive in three years. Forte is 32 in three years. I'm fine with trading him, but it better reflect his actual value.

While I think his 32+ value is minimal, he is a top 6 back in the league today. If a competitive team wants to acquire him, they better give us an offer that recognizes this. He shouldn't be traded for less than a 2nd and a 4th.