• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Report: Brandon Browner paid, getting ring for Seahawks’ Super Bowl victory

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Brandon Browner paid, getting ring for Seahawks’ Super Bowl victory

Even though he played in just eight games before a groin injury, even though he has been suspended indefinitely for using a banned substance, and even though he likely won’t play again for either the Seahawks or any other NFL team, Brandon Browner reportedly got paid for Seattle’s playoff games and will receive a Super Bowl ring.

An original member of the Legion of Boom and an integral part of the team’s rise in the past three seasons, Browner got a check for $131,000 after the Seahawks won the Super Bowl, according to NBC’s Pro Football Talk. About $44,000 of that was for Seattle’s appearance in the NFC Championship game and $97,00 was for the Big Game in New Jersey.

As PFT’s Mike Florio explained Saturday, Browner was entitled to compensation under the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement, despite his placement on the injured reserve, because he played in at least eight games in the regular season.

Browner will also receive a Super Bowl ring for the Seahawks’ 43-8 victory over the Denver Broncos on Feb. 2, even though he wasn’t present in East Rutherford, N.J. The team, not the NFL, decides who receives Super Bowl rings.

There is next to no chance Browner will return to the field for Seattle in 2014, as his indefinite suspension began in just December. A Pro Bowler in 2011, his rookie season after four years in the Canadian Football League, Browner will be able to apply for reinstatement one year after the beginning of his suspension.

Report: Brandon Browner paid, getting ring for Seahawks? Super Bowl victory - Seattle Seahawks & NFL News

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its fair to me thats no different than sidney rice getting paid and getting a ring and he played in about the same amount of games this season.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes me happy that he gets the ring. The money I dont care about as much. He made an incredibly stupid choice but its also important to recognize the contributions he has made to the team the last couple of years. Helped create the legion of boom. He deserves a ring and Im glad he got one

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I good with it. Browner was part of LOB, his big hits added a lot.

He deserves to be part of glory.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not give him one, for reasons Sherman touched on when he talked about PED use. They won despite him after his selfish actions hurt the team.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not give him one, for reasons Sherman touched on when he talked about PED use. They won despite him after his selfish actions hurt the team.

Browner's suspension this time wasn't for PED usage

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He deserved the ring, but not sure about the extra pay as he wasn't technically a part of the team during those games. If practice squad members get rings then so too should any player who was part of the team during any part of the season whether or not they were there at the end.

Chawkdawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon's been a huge part of the team, of course he get's his ring. The money isn't enough to worry about, on an NFL scale that's a pittance. It wouldn't surprise me if Pete considered signing him once his suspension is over, you know someone will.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon's been a huge part of the team, of course he get's his ring. The money isn't enough to worry about, on an NFL scale that's a pittance. It wouldn't surprise me if Pete considered signing him once his suspension is over, you know someone will.

No way anyone signs him given that he will be banned from the sport if he comes up dirty again and we know he hasn't done well at keeping clean. He is headed back to the CFL for sure and probably for good this time. You just can't tie up any cap space at all on a guy who is one false step away from gone for good and even if you paid him the league minimum and were able to structure in some sort of clause to not pay him a dime if he gets banned you are still tying up a roster spot with a guy you can't count on anymore.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is pretty cool. Browner isn't the first NFL player that screwed up and he won't be the last. He made some big contributions to the team at times and it's nice to see him be rewarded for that.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have 0 problem with him getting a ring. He still played in 8 games this year and was on the team when we won the SB, even if not on the active roster.

There is still a chance he could get the penalty reduced. We'll see. The Seahawks will move on.

I thank him for his great contributions to the team and building up the LOB.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have 0 problem with him getting a ring. He still played in 8 games this year and was on the team when we won the SB, even if not on the active roster.

There is still a chance he could get the penalty reduced. We'll see. The Seahawks will move on.

I thank him for his great contributions to the team and building up the LOB.

Agreed, he was integral in building the reputation of the LOB last year and this year. He was also key in helping us get big wins in the first 8 games of the season. Just in the 1st Arizona game alone he had 4 tackles, 3 passes defended and an interception he returned 49 yards that led to a score. With how tight it became to get the first round bye down the stretch all those early game wins were crucial to our Superbowl run. Browner was a big contributor in those and deserves his ring.

Chawkdawg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way anyone signs him given that he will be banned from the sport if he comes up dirty again and we know he hasn't done well at keeping clean. He is headed back to the CFL for sure and probably for good this time. You just can't tie up any cap space at all on a guy who is one false step away from gone for good and even if you paid him the league minimum and were able to structure in some sort of clause to not pay him a dime if he gets banned you are still tying up a roster spot with a guy you can't count on anymore.

You really think so? I'm not so sure, I think at the league minimum it would be a no brainer for someone to pick him up. Especially since Pete's done such a great job showing everyone how to use big fast imposing corners now.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browner's suspension this time wasn't for PED usage

Is it any less selfish to test for a different banned substance? I would consider it moreso, because you aren't even providing extra on the field to merit the risk to your teammates...

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what Pete's position is if BB gets reinstated. My guess is he would be open minded.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it any less selfish to test for a different banned substance? I would consider it moreso, because you aren't even providing extra on the field to merit the risk to your teammates...

There is a different argument for a non PED positive and while I don't personally agree with it, it does differ greatly from a PED bust.

Most players are tested before the season for non PED banned substances and are told ahead of time when that test will be and are not tested again for it during the regular season. It has been fairly widely discussed since his case came out that many in the NFL say pot usage is substantial around the league because of it. The problem for BB then is he was in stage 3 of the non PED substance program and was subject to random testing beyond that one normal test each fall and he was unaware he was in that program. This would then make it different.

I don't buy it because he has been back for more than a full year and would have been subject to those same random tests many times between when he first joined the Seahawks and when he failed that test. He had to have known he was being tested for them and did it anyway.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there is no reason pot should be banned. It's stupid.

But it is, and players know it. The "not knowing" what he was is bullshit. It's his job to know. Especially if he's going to be using banned substances (fairly banned or not), you need to know damn well what risk you are taking on behalf of your teammates. "I didn't know I was going to be tested" doesn't cut it when the entirety of the program and his status in it are both readily available to him.