• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Relapse May Be My Favorite Hip-Hop Album Ever

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been going back and listening to this one again. Listening to it front-to-back, the accent allows him to twist words to rhyme things you never though possible, and Dre's production is some of his best work.

It's rare for a hip-hop artist to do a concept album, but Eminem did it masterfully. I remember when this came out in '09, I was kind of disgusted by the lyrics (outside of "Beautiful"). Now that I'm 10 years older, I understand that Eminem was just going for complete shock value and literally did not give 0 fucks, and I can appreciate how awesome it is. Even if you hate the accent/subject matter, you should at least appreciate "Deja Vu," which may be his best song ever.

Honestly, he may need to do a project like this to breathe some life back into his career. I personally respect the direction he wanted to take on Revival, and I enjoyed it enough- but I'm a former Stan. Eminem could release an album of him snoring and I'd still say it's ok. For everyone else, he just sounds old and tired and politically correct.

What'd you guys think of Relapse? Tagging the usual hip-hop suspects.

@Bloody Brian Burke
@Lions=TeHsUcKs
@StanMarsh51
@broncosmitty
@Brasky
@Edonidd
@SJ76
@Cyder
@CatsTopPac
@DetroitDevil

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dre gotta a new album? Ahh shit

Yeah....Hell yeah

Almost forgot about Dre

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hip Hop sucks.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Eminem's music post-2006 has been, almost without pause, trash. Whatever magic it was that he had, and he did have it, left him with his addiction and recovery and probably most importantly Proof's death.

There would be a track here and there that I liked (like his verse on Forever or on TI's All She Wrote) but nothing even remotely close to his earlier output.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been going back and listening to this one again. Listening to it front-to-back, the accent allows him to twist words to rhyme things you never though possible, and Dre's production is some of his best work.

It's rare for a hip-hop artist to do a concept album, but Eminem did it masterfully. I remember when this came out in '09, I was kind of disgusted by the lyrics (outside of "Beautiful"). Now that I'm 10 years older, I understand that Eminem was just going for complete shock value and literally did not give 0 fucks, and I can appreciate how awesome it is. Even if you hate the accent/subject matter, you should at least appreciate "Deja Vu," which may be his best song ever.

Honestly, he may need to do a project like this to breathe some life back into his career. I personally respect the direction he wanted to take on Revival, and I enjoyed it enough- but I'm a former Stan. Eminem could release an album of him snoring and I'd still say it's ok. For everyone else, he just sounds old and tired and politically correct.

What'd you guys think of Relapse? Tagging the usual hip-hop suspects.

@Bloody Brian Burke
@Lions=TeHsUcKs
@StanMarsh51
@broncosmitty
@Brasky
@Edonidd
@SJ76
@Cyder
@CatsTopPac
@DetroitDevil

I thought the record helped solidify him as one of if not the best pure lyricist in hip hop history. The way he uses rhyme schemes is ridiculous, and is why most of the best hip hop artists agree that he takes rhyming to another level all together. My favorite hip hop is when the artist offers biting social critique along with being a true wordsmith, and sometimes Em seems to rhyme for the sake of showing off his amazing skills, but doesn't always say a lot. So for that, I still give the crown to Black Thought. But when Em puts a serious message into his lyrics, it's pretty much on the level of Pac, Black Thought, Black Star, Wu, and some others. Even though my particular preference is more serious, how Em puts words together is a genuine art that we'll be trying to figure out for decades. Dude cuts words like no other.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slim peaked with "The Eminem Show". Every album after that has gotten increasingly worse.

Two big issues with him:
1) he became what he got famous for trashing: pop
2) his original messages were of life struggles that everyone can relate to; now he's isolating large segments of his original fanbase with a heavy injection of divisive politics.