• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

reid and harbaugh

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first-round pick made sense. Harbaugh tried to recruit safety Eric Reid to Stanford but lost him to LSU. Reid said he kept hearing from Harbaugh that he was coming to get him, and he sure did.

interesting

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Didn't like trading up for him.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's my one complaint about the draft. I hated trading up to get him because we could of drafted him at 31, and if he was gone there would have been plenty other safeties left. We could have used the other 3rd for a CB.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wouldn't have liked reid with our 1st. moving up i dont like, but i'll trust harbaugh and baalke. i'm hoping lattimore fully recovers, if he does he'll be the best of our 2013 draft.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's my one complaint about the draft. I hated trading up to get him because we could of drafted him at 31, and if he was gone there would have been plenty other safeties left. We could have used the other 3rd for a CB.

Exactly!

By no means is Reid considered a "difference maker" at the safety position to warrant a trade up. Is he that much better than Cyprien or Elam. I didn't want a safety in the first, but at 31 I could have settled for one if you wanted one that bad. It prevented us from getting John Jenkins, Damontre Moore, Keenan Allen, or a corner like you suggested.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i wouldn't have liked reid with our 1st. moving up i dont like, but i'll trust harbaugh and baalke. i'm hoping lattimore fully recovers, if he does he'll be the best of our 2013 draft.

At this point, that's all we can do man! Hope and pray and support Reid to the fullest. He's a Niner!!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got to trust HarBaalke on the trade up... it didn't kill us in terms of cost IMO and hopefully Reid is a difference maker out there for us....

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i really hope Tank becomes the best of our 2013 class. if you can get a disruptive force from the DE spot, thats huge for the entire D. ie Justin Smith type impact.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We got to trust HarBaalke on the trade up... it didn't kill us in terms of cost IMO and hopefully Reid is a difference maker out there for us....

seems like the complaint is more who we picked, and not the trade up? cause didn't seem like the 3rd was an excess amount to move up that many spots?

to me, if you really like a player, go get him. more so if you have the draft ammo to do it? if we try to play too cute with value, another team will take him.

obviously, the 49ers didn't view all safeties as similar talent.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never really liked or bought into that argument that it is stupid to trade up for a guy when there is a good chance he or someone like him will be there at your original pick. First off the NFL Draft is always unpredictable in the sense that some teams just do stuff that nobody saw coming, maybe someone trades up or back into the 1st to get him. Secondly you have no idea if other teams from 19-30 wanted Reid. Lastly, there is a difference between the guy you want and the other guys that are similar prospects.

For example, lots of people were upset that the 49ers moved up to get Anthony Davis and argued that he might have fallen to the original pick and if he didn't Brian Bulaga would have still been around and viewed as a similarly good prospect. How many of those people still feel it was a stupid move and would rather have Bulaga?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I never really liked or bought into that argument that it is stupid to trade up for a guy when there is a good chance he or someone like him will be there at your original pick. First off the NFL Draft is always unpredictable in the sense that some teams just do stuff that nobody saw coming, maybe someone trades up or back into the 1st to get him. Secondly you have no idea if other teams from 19-30 wanted Reid. Lastly, there is a difference between the guy you want and the other guys that are similar prospects.

For example, lots of people were upset that the 49ers moved up to get Anthony Davis and argued that he might have fallen to the original pick and if he didn't Brian Bulaga would have still been around and viewed as a similarly good prospect. How many of those people still feel it was a stupid move and would rather have Bulaga?

good illustration.

yep, if your scouting team feels that strongly about a player, go get him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Whom would you have taken at 18 if you had to take someone at 18?

Because the Niners weren't going to get Reid without trading up, and the 74th pick was an extremely low price to pay in order to do so.

Is he that much better than Cyprien or Elam.

Yes. Especially in coverage. Add Vaccaro to that list as well.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This^^^

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good illustration.

yep, if your scouting team feels that strongly about a player, go get him.

I feel like the trade up for a guy scenario comes from Baalke and company having a lot better insight of which players other teams may target than we as casual fans do. For instance 49ers scouts are probably friends or at the very least aware of who the scouts are for other teams and undoubtedly include the names of other teams they spot scouting the players they were sent to research. For example, we saw this about Reid today and oh by the way these 6 other teams were there too. Then the next scouting trip, oh by the way these 3 teams were there again and they pick ahead of us in the draft.

Like you said, if they feel that strongly about a guy go get him instead of settling for another player who seems similar. I for one am extremely happy that the 49ers moved up to get Davis and didn't settle for Bulaga. I hope the same can be said of Reid in 3 years.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the draft Mel Kiper said that the Bengals at 21 were interested in him. Other pundits said there was no real difference between Reid and Vaccaro except that Reid was faster. Many viewed Reid as the best safety in the draft. Letting him sit there and then praying that he would fall is taking a big risk for a position of dire need.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
other teams wanted Reid, and we gave up what a 3rd rnder to move up into the mid 1st? Thats nothing, Reid will be a starter for us this year and the kid is a stud, dont say he is not a difference maker if you have never watched him play, bc I have. The kid can flat out play and after the Saints took Kenny V, he was hands down the best S left in the draft and the 49ers brass also felt the same way, so what does that tell you??

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At this point, that's all we can do man! Hope and pray and support Reid to the fullest. He's a Niner!!

Just do what I do and pretend we traded up for Carradine at 18 and snagged Reid at 40.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know what the big deal is...

They had a ton of picks, and we all knew they would be making moves. The front office and coaching staff were aggressive and went and got the guys they wanted. Baalke and Harbs are very good at drafting players that fit their system, not guys that are necessarly rated higher on Mel Kipers 'Big Board'...

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Great Post!

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what the big deal is...

They had a ton of picks, and we all knew they would be making moves. The front office and coaching staff were aggressive and went and got the guys they wanted. Baalke and Harbs are very good at drafting players that fit their system, not guys that are necessarly rated higher on Mel Kipers 'Big Board'...

why waste picks when we can trade them for future picks?