• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Regular Season

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18-game splits ... 9-9 with a bullet. Any idea why the Reds have decided to play like the 12th Street YMCA on throws to the plate? Hey, with a 6-run lead, walking the bases loaded is not how you win.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missing the cutoff man has been standard practice too often. At one time or another this entire OF has fired the ball home with no chance to get the scoring runner and allowing the batter to advance into scoring pisition. It's a hidden error that often leads to earned runs charged to the pitcher. This pitching staff has had a hard enough time without poor fundamental defense adding to the equation.

The Reds entered tonights game having hit 13 HR's and allowing 30. They turned the tables hitting 4 bombs tonight which really made the difference.

How often do you see a team win when their pitching staff allows 8 walks? Scoring 9 runs via the long ball camouflages a lot of flaws.

There's two things I've noticed that are probably tied together. The Reds haven't hit as many HR's, but they've also been striking out less. They've been agreessive hitting early in the count, but more guys have been hitting better with two strikes. One I've noticed doing a much better job is Zack Cozart. He's hitting .389 this season with two strikes as compared to .205 for his career. It'll be interesting to see if he can keep it going beyond a early small sample size.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over a year, better hitting approach will pay off.
Phillips again showing he has lost a step on defense.
Suarez playing matador at 3B. Mesoroaco "ole'ing" a pitch in the dirt ... man, these guys need to start giving a damn.
DuVall keeps getting good at-bats as does Cozart. Mesoraco seems to be getting it but he doesn't appear to have much pull power now. I think Votto has it figured out.
Unfortunately the pitching.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure like to see the Reds pull this out today, and send the Cubs out of town with their tail between their legs. It would have to be a blow to them only getting a split out of this series after the way they won the 1st 2 games. I know I'm a dreamer, but it would be nice.
Then The Reds go to NY tomorrow and start of facing Synderagaard (Not sure about the spelling) I hope we don't see another No No, But he can do it.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Price continues to be this stupid, consider any gains to be a step backward.
Schebler leading off is the second-stupidest thing he did. Pretending Fasto Pasta Simon can actually pitch was the first mistake he made -- the day the front office thought it was a good idea to sign a dead arm who telegraphs his slider.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds are 5-1 outside the NL-C, but the Phillies and Rockies are 2nd tier teams. The Reds are 1-5 on the road to start the season and that doesn't look to significantly improve heading into NYM and Pittsburg. The April schedule set up to be a tough start for the Reds and it has been despite the misleading 9-10 record. I thought the team might go 9-15 to start, so they may well beat my projection.

Take a look at the May schedule and how many wins do you see?

May looks a little better with 12 games versus the Brewers, Rockies, and Phillies, but 8 of those are on the road.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the best scenario a team can have over a set of 18 games is to go 10-8 to be a contender, 11-7 to win a division, so ... 9-9 would put a team in the middle of the pack. I don't see them going 9-9 over any 18-game stretch for the simple reason that there is nobody in the rotation who can stop a losing streak.

The clear disappointment in how this pitching has evolved should have already sent shock waves through the front office since the rest of the league has already built a significant scouting report. Could be, after some of these guys return, the team could surge briefly ... or completely collapse under the weight of inefficiency.

Simon has to be telegraphing his slider since he can't command the FB. Given the reality that all young pitchers are on a learning curve, it's also important to realize that these guys might have already closed in on their skill-set ceiling anyhow. Hoover allegedly has "fixed" something that he also fixed last year and could have fixed in August but didn't. Amazing cluster of bullshit from Price on this one.

At best, all of them are .490 pitchers. And since the manager seems to think Schebler is a leadoff guy, the rest of the team cobbling together 5 baserunners over 9 innings, it makes ya go 'hmmmmm' it SEEMS like this team ought to be better than this.

They've modified the book on Suarez and Hamilton ... Votto seems disoriented and ... Mesoraco has no pull power left off that hip.

Yeah, 100 losses is very probable.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in the 4 games with the Cubs....Reds pitching gave up. 39 runs, all but 1 earned, 48 hits, 10 homeruns 24 walks. And had a no hitter pitched against them. Reds scored 14 runs, but 13 was in one game. and were shut out twice. What a treat for Reds fans

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else notice that Hoover, after making an adjustment to his delivery, was still unable to pitch 2 innings in a blowout loss?

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's ok now, Probably won't give up an earned run the rest of the season. And the Reds without Bruce tonight will knock Syndergaard out of the game before the 3rd inning. All is well in Reds land.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adam Duvall has struck out six consecutive AB's. All three AB's yesterday and the first three tonight.

Will he get the "Golden Sombrero"?

I can't hardly wait to find out.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That didn't take long. We have a winner.

Adam Duvall will be going for the prestigious "Platinum Sombrero" his next AB.

Get to six in a single game and it's a "Titanium Sombrero" according to Baseball Reference.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed he was wearing glasses that last time up.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might want to try a pair with the funny nose and mustache.... the pair he's wearing ain't helping.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I jumped the gun on the Sombrero. His last AB was the third. He's been whiffing at such a furious rate the last two days I loss count.

He won't get the Sombrero tonight, he's been lifted in a double switch.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we see tonight is pretty much as good as it gets. No other better options and if they can't string together 4 runs against a good pitching staff, there's no there there.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iglesias is the "ace" of the staff and throws 102 pitches in 5 innings, gives up 3 runs. How in hell do you throw 102 pitches in 5 innings?

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said Iglesias pitched a good game last night. When is giving up 3 runs on 5 innings considered good, He also had s pitch count over 100. The Reds media on the TV side raved about his performance. Then if you look at the last 4 games with the Cubs, maybe it was good. I guess it's all about perspective.
Pitching gave up 3 more homeruns last night. And I think the book is out on Duvall. I hope not because I was getting a little excited about having a real left fielder.