• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reggie smith is hurt

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Source close to Smith tells Maiocco "surgery"

What a bummer for reggie if true, would like to see how he would of done as the full time starter. Although Im one of the ones who still liked goldson Reggie seemed to be playing his tail off so far. Either way i still like Goldson-whitner combo. Hopefully Goldson can get his ball hawking skills back like in 09.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That is a bummer if it is true.

He was supposedly having a very good camp so which makes it tough for him.

The only positive is it happened when Goldson was still available to re-sign. We're getting hit with a pretty bad injury bug so far! Keep that virus away from our starters!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Argh. I wanted to see Reggie Smith start at S ever since we drafted him.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Source close to Smith tells Maiocco "surgery"

Damn! It seems like every time Smith moves up the depth chart- something happens and he takes a step back.

I think Whitner/Smith compliment each other better than Whitner/Goldson, but we shall see....

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a bummer for reggie if true, would like to see how he would of done as the full time starter. Although Im one of the ones who still liked goldson Reggie seemed to be playing his tail off so far. Either way i still like Goldson-whitner combo. Hopefully Goldson can get his ball hawking skills back like in 09.

agreed 100%, Whitner knocking heads and Goldson picking off passes, with Rogers and Spenc at CB, best secondary we have had in a long ass time

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are people dissapointed when Goldson is better then Smith? Some people cry no matter what, we dont resing Goldson and you hear people complaining, now we resign him and I read people saying they wanted Smith to start

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mattbarrows Matt Barrows
Source: #49ers S Reggie Smith has a tear in the meniscus of one of his knees. He'll miss a couple of weeks, but it's not a long-term injury.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mattbarrows Matt Barrows
Source: #49ers S Reggie Smith has a tear in the meniscus of one of his knees. He'll miss a couple of weeks, but it's not a long-term injury.

He will miss more then a couple weeks, this pavs the way for Goldson as the starting FS

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like goldson and whitner. although goldson is whiny

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MCL could be 3-5 weeks. Very good news.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mattbarrows Matt Barrows

That's actually very nice. He'll come back before too many (if any) reg season games are gone. It probably helped the FO push for Goldson just a little more. Barring more crappy injury, we should be able to find a very nice starting safety combo between Whitner/Goldson/Smith/Williams. That little injury could be a blessing in disguise!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
mattbarrows Matt Barrows

Glad it's apparently relatively minor. I think Smith offers more in coverage than Goldson, so I'd like to get him back as an option. It should keep Goldson honest in terms of his effort, too. Pretty good group of safeties shaping up.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here is a quick Q&A with Barrows about Reggie Smith, Dashon Goldson, Curtis Taylor & Taylor Mays

According to Matt Barrows, Reggie Smith tore the meniscus in one of his knees and he will miss a couple of weeks, but it shouldn’t be a serious, long-term injury.

Clearly, this is a big reason the Niners resigned Dashon Goldson. Here are my two questions for you:

Question 1: If Smith hadn’t hurt his knee, would Baalke have resigned Goldson anyway? I say yes. Baalke got him for cheap, and both Goldson and Smith should be healthy for the start of the regular season. Goldson adds depth – he’s not just a replacement.

Question 2: Does this increase the chances that Taylor Mays stays with the team? I say no. The Niners seem to hold him in the same esteem they hold Curtis Taylor, which is a low esteem. Those two were the 3rd-string safeties on Saturday’s practice. C.J. Spillman played with the second team, and he seems to have a better shot to make team than Mays or Taylor. I’ll monitor the safety tandems in today’s practice for any depth-chart developments.