• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would I be remiss to point out that it gets old that anytime some one points out some good in Kirk, we get entire novels on how its really all smoke and mirrors.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:It's comical that you guys think that any significant portion of the fan base or FO is still having wet dreams of RG3 holding up the Lombardi Trophy. So much that they are praying for the KCs house of cards to come tumbling down...so that they can save face and look right. That's some conspiracy theory stuff right there.

I'm sure most everyone just wants to be a winner... long term. It's acceptable to have some reservations with Kirks somewhat inconsistent play/incomplete resume just as much as it is to be optimistic and be one of the "I'm convinced...I've seen enough crowd"

Glass half empty = Glass half full
he is a top 70 player in the nfl . top 85 last season . so i think he is doing what he is supposed to do and any reservations should be done and over with . but we have moved the goal posts again

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:It's comical that you guys think that any significant portion of the fan base or FO is still having wet dreams of RG3 holding up the Lombardi Trophy. So much that they are praying for the KCs house of cards to come tumbling down...so that they can save face and look right. That's some conspiracy theory stuff right there.

I'm sure most everyone just wants to be a winner... long term. It's acceptable to have some reservations with Kirks somewhat inconsistent play/incomplete resume just as much as it is to be optimistic and be one of the "I'm convinced...I've seen enough crowd"

Glass half empty = Glass half full

As i have pointed out, its not about RG3 anymore with most.

But the whole Kirk dislike for alot of people did start with being upset that we gave up on RG3. And to say that feelings dont linger is like saying that woman who got cheated on that thinks all men are dogs, isnt taking it out on all men because she happened to fall in love with a douche.

Also will point out, as j_y mentioned, Dan does not seem the type to want a constant reminder of his failure around on a daily basis if he can avoid it.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would I be remiss to point out that it gets old that anytime some one points out some good in Kirk, we get entire novels on how its really all smoke and mirrors.

Similar to how when anyone is remotely critical of Kirk we get entire novels about how people only think that because they still love RG3 and deep down want him back?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Similar to how when anyone is remotely critical of Kirk we get entire novels about how people only think that because they still love RG3 and deep down want him back?

I will state this again for the record. I dont think any of you want RG3 back.

I do however think that the negative towards Kirk started not based on his play, but on the fact that he originally replaced RG3. Some people developed an immediate dislike towards Kirk because of that, and while RG3 is no longer the direct reason, that dislike still lingers.

So there you go.

Side note: While no one wants RG3 back, alot of people do long for what he represented... an "Elite" QB in the making. :thumb:

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will state this again for the record. I dont think any of you want RG3 back.

I do however think that the negative towards Kirk started not based on his play, but on the fact that he originally replaced RG3. Some people developed an immediate dislike towards Kirk because of that, and while RG3 is no longer the direct reason, that dislike still lingers.

So there you go.

Side note: While no one wants RG3 back, alot of people do long for what he represented... an "Elite" QB in the making. :thumb:

My point is - not everybody agrees on the level of QB Kirk is. And thats fine. Its normal. Hes a flawed QB who deserves criticism sometimes. He also deserves praise. Just because people are critical doesnt make them haters.

I think this whole idea you have is a little too armchair psychologist for me.

As for your side note: Who tf cares? Shouldnt we want an elite QB? I sure want one. Whats wrong with that?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the guy is a top 70 player in the nfl i dont know what more anyone needs to see

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is - not everybody agrees on the level of QB Kirk is. And thats fine. Its normal. Hes a flawed QB who deserves criticism sometimes. He also deserves praise. Just because people are critical doesnt make them haters.

I think this whole idea you have is a little too armchair psychologist for me.

As for your side note: Who tf cares? Shouldnt we want an elite QB? I sure want one. Whats wrong with that?

Dude, its fine to want an elite QB. But I think its foolish to push the line that we should NOT resign a GOOD QB because it might prevent us from acquiring an elite prospect at the position, or rather what some people will say is an elite prospect at the position.

To put it another way,

Would you pay your rent for the month (Tagging Kirk)
Then go into the office and hand in your two weeks notice, simply because you had a good feeling about the powerball ticket you were going to buy on the way home??

As for the idea that i have, some people were critical of Kirk from the moment he was made the starter, and that is acceptable. But the concept of continuing to be overly critical because you long for the lottery ticket hit to a degree is unhealthy. The idea that we shouldnt resign him now because he MIGHT fail when he has shown no indication of failing is a bit over the top. And the idea that we should keep our options open for the main reason that there are supposed to be 10 QBs who will be automatically better than Kirk in next years draft....

Let that sink in for a moment.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, its fine to want an elite QB. But I think its foolish to push the line that we should NOT resign a GOOD QB because it might prevent us from acquiring an elite prospect at the position, or rather what some people will say is an elite prospect at the position.

To put it another way,

Would you pay your rent for the month (Tagging Kirk)
Then go into the office and hand in your two weeks notice, simply because you had a good feeling about the powerball ticket you were going to buy on the way home??

As for the idea that i have, some people were critical of Kirk from the moment he was made the starter, and that is acceptable. But the concept of continuing to be overly critical because you long for the lottery ticket hit to a degree is unhealthy. The idea that we shouldnt resign him now because he MIGHT fail when he has shown no indication of failing is a bit over the top. And the idea that we should keep our options open for the main reason that there are supposed to be 10 QBs who will be automatically better than Kirk in next years draft....

Let that sink in for a moment.

Look Im with ya. I want him back. Im just saying he isnt above criticism and said criticism isnt evidence of being a hater or a closet rg3 lover.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True the Giants game still bothers me. I just think we can still get him back if we don't give him a LTD this year. I would hate to give him the deal then he stinks this year. Im looking at overall risk

The overall risk is not signing him to a LTD because no matter what you believe, KC has the power. There is nothing the Skins can do next season to prevent him from leaving...nothing. They will not spend 35 million on him next season and other teams have too much cap room for us to match a contract.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this too.

I know this is a reach...But let's just say our FO throws an offer on the table before 7/15, pretty well at the cap number this year (24) with a good guarantee. Something around, maybe slightly less than Licks deal. A really good contract.

....and he still turns it down.

What would all of your thoughts be on KC then?? Just curious.....

That he probably wants out of the Puzzle Factory called Redskins Park and he feels pretty good that another team(s) will match and/or surpass any offer by the Redskins.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE-skinsdad]l at least the insults are good[/QUOTE]

Meh. More hit n miss.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The overall risk is not signing him to a LTD because no matter what you believe, KC has the power. There is nothing the Skins can do next season to prevent him from leaving...nothing. They will not spend 35 million on him next season and other teams have too much cap room for us to match a contract.

You just assume that other teams are going to fork over stupid money for him. That may not be true.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just assume that other teams are going to fork over stupid money for him. That may not be true.

If Kirk had hit free agency openly this year, he would have likely been the highest paid player in the league... for a hot minute.

If Kirk hits free agency next year and he has a year similar to the one he has had the past two years, he will be one of the highest paid QBs in the league.

I know you believe there are 45 QBs who could do what Kirk has done and more in the upcoming draft. But something tells me that there are three or four coaches who would much rather have a QB capable of what Kirk has done over a rookie.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously dean? If other teams won't be willing to fork over stupid money, why do you think Sndyer will?

If he puts up another year anything resembling the last 2, he WILL be the hot commodity in FA next year. He will be able to chose among 5 or 6 teams, a couple that maybe surprising. Think about some of the pretty good teams that have aging QBs who are very close to retirement and a few will be gone after this year.

You really need to put that Giants game in perspective and get past it. It is really clouding your view of the situation.

Last edited:

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously dean? If other teams won't be willing to fork over stupid money, why do you think Sndyer will?

If he puts up another year anything resembling the last 2, he WILL be the hot commodity in FA next year. He will be able to chose among 5 or 6 teams, a couple that maybe surprising. Think about some of the pretty good teams that have aging QBs who are very close to retirement and a few will be gone after this year.

You really need to put that Giants game in perspective and get past it. It is really clouding your view of the situation.

Well it depends what happens this year. If he does have a good year then Synder will get him back. IF he doesnt there are other options. IMO he wont leave if he gets a playoff win. Signing him now then he flops this year would be the worst. We have more options if he doesn't sign. The team takes less risk.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it depends what happens this year. If he does have a good year then Synder will get him back. IF he doesnt there are other options. IMO he wont leave if he gets a playoff win. Signing him now then he flops this year would be the worst. We have more options if he doesn't sign. The team takes less risk.
No, worst would be we don't sign him and he has another great year and we lose him. If we sign him and he doesn't play up to expectations, then we have options. We can trade him, cut him, draft his replacement and have time to groom him. We will, again, be the laughing stock of the league if we let a Franchise QB walk after this year with no compensation all because we didn't want to pay him his fair due.

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he does have a good year then Synder will get him back. IF he doesnt there are other options. IMO he wont leave if he gets a playoff win.
I personally believe he won't have a bad year. The team in a whole could, but his stats will be worthy of a top ten QB. He has continually gotten better as a starter and just can't see him reverting back to 1st year Kirk.

IMO as a fan looking in and not privy to the in-house discussions I personally believe that even with a playoff win Kirk will hop on the first train out of here. Yes, Skins have the franchise tag power to keep him but realistically they cannot keep tagging him. I relate this courtship in the same fashion as some dude who continually flirts with other women when he has a hottie who meets all the requirements in his grasp already. At some point the hottie will have had enough of the headache and bolt... as in our boy Kirk.

Enjoy him this year as he'll move the offense yet again and keep us relevant. For the life of me (at this point) I cannot understand what they don't see in him and what the hold out is for a reasonable offer. So willing to pay out the big bucks to other teams aging stars but one of their own they refuse to show any love.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, worst would be we don't sign him and he has another great year and we lose him. If we sign him and he doesn't play up to expectations, then we have options. We can trade him, cut him, draft his replacement and have time to groom him. We will, again, be the laughing stock of the league if we let a Franchise QB walk after this year with no compensation all because we didn't want to pay him his fair due.

wrong if you sign him to a LTD and he has a bad year this year you cant just cut him. There will be no out clause in Year 1 or 2. KC will not sign that type of contract.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally believe he won't have a bad year. The team in a whole could, but his stats will be worthy of a top ten QB. He has continually gotten better as a starter and just can't see him reverting back to 1st year Kirk.

IMO as a fan looking in and not privy to the in-house discussions I personally believe that even with a playoff win Kirk will hop on the first train out of here. Yes, Skins have the franchise tag power to keep him but realistically they cannot keep tagging him. I relate this courtship in the same fashion as some dude who continually flirts with other women when he has a hottie who meets all the requirements in his grasp already. At some point the hottie will have had enough of the headache and bolt... as in our boy Kirk.

Enjoy him this year as he'll move the offense yet again and keep us relevant. For the life of me (at this point) I cannot understand what they don't see in him and what the hold out is for a reasonable offer. So willing to pay out the big bucks to other teams aging stars but one of their own they refuse to show any love.

I agree but we don't know what will happen next year. I just want to protect eh Skins if he has a bad year. If he ahs a good year we have options.