• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

redskins are the worst at drafting players for 10 years

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all knew this. I posted several times the guys drafted before Shanahan and the reason we had the worst roster in the NFL.

We keep going after veteran players (who automatically cost more) at the expense of youth (who are cheap).

My favorite was the average years played/draft pick. This was a very funny one because we had a disproportionate amount of late round picks so obviously we were going to be lower here.

A better stat would have been average years played/draft pick taken in rounds 1-4.
Another good one would have been average number of starts by players taken in rounds 1-2.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 71 wins and 105 losses over that time span......I'd say worse pretty much sums it up. The good news? One of the most loyal fan bases in the NFL.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We keep going after veteran players (who automatically cost more) at the expense of youth (who are cheap).

Agree except that this has not been the case for the most part this offseason (with the exception of Hatcher & I believe someone at that position can play longer than most).

The key to change in this area is to change philosophy. This was started by Shanahan & appears to be the case with the current regime. There are several elements to this including not trading your own picks when possible and retaining your own free agents. This is why I have to laugh when several people here are always calling for the Redskins to pickup or trade for the next big sexy FA at the expense of developing youth. They also sometimes badmouth moves like retaining Orakpo which I view as a positive move (did they overpay? Perhaps - but probably a necessary evil).

I know it is tough, but fans need to show some more restraint & realize that this thing will take several years to rebuild. HTTR

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This falls on Dan Snyder. 100 percent.

Thinking he can play fantasy football with the team after the NFL put in a cap to prevent this.
Then leaving the rest up to his racketball buddy Cerrato to draft players.

Any good businessman should be able to adapt to the changes within their industry, or in this case sports league.
Dan failed miserably. Like James Dolan has failed in New York with the Knicks, who now has finally admitted he screwed it all up and is asking Phil Jackson to fix it.

Owners need to hire trustworthy experts in every phase of the sports business, then stay the fvck away.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This falls on Dan Snyder. 100 percent.

Thinking he can play fantasy football with the team after the NFL put in a cap to prevent this.
Then leaving the rest up to his racketball buddy Cerrato to draft players.

Any good businessman should be able to adapt to the changes within their industry, or in this case sports league.
Dan failed miserably. Like James Dolan has failed in New York with the Knicks, who now has finally admitted he screwed it all up and is asking Phil Jackson to fix it.

Owners need to hire trustworthy experts in every phase of the sports business, then stay the fvck away.

I tend to agree. However - just like your example with the Knicks - I believe that Snyder gave up control after the hiring of Allen & Shanahan & I see no signs that he has taken back this control at this point. Of course there have been problems, but that is generally the case when you delegate & sometimes you have to screw up a bit before getting things right. I also see some positive signs at this point which could eventually lead to a truly successful franchise.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
snyder does get a huge dose of the blame early on . the last few years not as much

he basically has stayed away

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
snyder does get a huge dose of the blame early on . the last few years not as much

he basically has stayed away

The Haynesworth contract should never have happened. We suffered with a cap penalty as a result. I refuse to give Snyder a pass on that. Which is why I said before, get trustworthy experts at all levels of the organization, then stay away.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And remember we got hit with that cap bullsh1t just before free agency, so that forced us to address defense in the draft the last two years, instead of free agency. I'm trying to make sure to not highjack this thread by making it a bash Snyder in all aspects of life thread.

Specifically relating to the drafting of our players, I am putting the entire blame on Daniel Snyder and how he neglected creating an appropriate organizational structure.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Haynesworth contract should never have happened. We suffered with a cap penalty as a result. I refuse to give Snyder a pass on that. Which is why I said before, get trustworthy experts at all levels of the organization, then stay away.

That is all a direct result of what occurred in the Vinny years when Snyder was way too involved. I see no evidence that he has not stayed away over the last several years. That is why I feel somewhat optimistic moving forward (will take awhile). I also view it as a major plus that the Redskins have stayed away from the big name FAs for the most part (to the regret of some folks here).

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And remember we got hit with that cap bullsh1t just before free agency, so that forced us to address defense in the draft the last two years, instead of free agency. I'm trying to make sure to not highjack this thread by making it a bash Snyder in all aspects of life thread.

Specifically relating to the drafting of our players, I am putting the entire blame on Daniel Snyder and how he neglected creating an appropriate organizational structure.

AH is on him but the cap penalty is on allen and shanny as snyder stayed away from that

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That article has a lot to do with that we had no draft picks. We traded a lot of draft picks away and signed a lot of FA. So we couldn't build through the draft. We chose to build through FA which didn't work. As far as the recent drafts we did pretty good considering on what he had. If you combine the McNabb and RG3 trade which would be 4 players taken in the first 2 rounds. We are forced to find talent in the deeper rounds. Its not all bad we did win the division in 2012 so you have to take that into account.