• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds, ahead

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blatantly off the topic about replacing players ... it seems like we will be losing Choo. For the moment, looks like a bummer deal. Still in the end, the player who ends up in that position could surprise.

The off-topic comment I wanted to add here was that in 1961, my favorite Cincy sports year, at UC, a guy graduated who had turned the Bearcats into national contenders -- Oscar Robertson. The team that remained started out that 60-61 season with a 3-2 record. I recall a comment by Paul Hogue, who said "we kept looking around for Oscar and he wasn't there."
The quote is generally what he said.
The Bearcats reevaluated their situation and didn't lose another game and won TWO national titles in a row, Should have won the third one (batshit Loyola).

They did the impossible -- won without Oscar.
Replaced by Tony Yates, who was a damned good point guard. He wasn't Oscar, but he knew how to win.
The point is: I recall thinking UC would turn into Xavier after Oscar left.

The difference: Ed Jucker was a master coach.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally, the best baseball COACHES I ever knew were patient guys that instilled confidence in what they were trying to improve. That requires a previous track record of success at fixing things to get cooperation from players, and a pretty quick show of results to instill confidence. You don't accomplish either with bullshit and bad fundamentals.

Managers on the other hand, were gung ho Marines, not your buddy. "R & R" meant Repetition and Rigor, not rest and relaxation- you did that in the winter on your own time. It was 99% about winning, and the other 1% wasn't important. Players and coaches that weren't helping us to win, were helping us lose. Although everyone contributed to both, there was usually no loud music or laughter after losses, and an ofer with 3 K's meant extra BP tomorrow, not a day off to "take a breather". There was positive feedback, and ass kicking, but little sympathy for bad fundamental play. You got beat, but tried hard not to beat yourself doing dumbshidt. Players didn't snipe at each other much, but they worked hard to keep up with a high standard.

IMO, the Reds dugout has too much bullshit and buddies, and not enough R & R. It's too easy to be OK to lose there. It's ok to play above .500 and finish 3rd and call it bad luck you didn't win anything. It's a business first... and they need a reminder.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A great point to consider: Atmosphere. What is the atmosphere like in the Reds clubhouse that makes all the players say how great it is to play for DustMop? Let me take a stab: The clubhouse is lax, where there are no time frames, where YOU do what you think is best, where there is the occasional coaches banter "try harder tomorrow boys but we still love ya", where any type of criticism is like using the "N" word, and most importantly a clubhouse where NOONE will ever say anything to you for not moving a runner, getting an unsuccessful sac bunt down or sac fly, or simply smiling while hitting .235. It is so cool! So IMO, the atmosphere, is exactly what DustMop has made it--an atmosphere of players content on winning enough to get by and finding excuses for the loses.