• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red Wings March to 25th Straight Playoffs Thread

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post here all about the inevitable 25th straight playoff berth for the Detroit Red Wings!

It's a lock!

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, the Canadiens won at least 1 after I started that thread. :peep:

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wings have plenty enough talent to beat every team in the league in a seven game series, they just aren't using it.

For whatever reason, for each of the past five seasons, this core group has been incapable of bringing max effort to every game. They'll go on a tear and decisively beat down all the best teams in the league, then they'll waste all that gain by dogging it against the worst teams in the league. Only when their backs are pushed against a wall do they execute on the ice what they're capable of.

Thankfully, this stretch of garbage play happened against non-divisional foes. The next four are divisional games - time to snap out of it; although I get the feeling their backs aren't pressed firmly enough against the wall yet... Maybe losing both of this weekend's home-and-home with Ottawa will do it.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wings have plenty enough talent to beat every team in the league in a seven game series, they just aren't using it.

For whatever reason, for each of the past five seasons, this core group has been incapable of bringing max effort to every game. They'll go on a tear and decisively beat down all the best teams in the league, then they'll waste all that gain by dogging it against the worst teams in the league. Only when their backs are pushed against a wall do they execute on the ice what they're capable of.

Thankfully, this stretch of garbage play happened against non-divisional foes. The next four are divisional games - time to snap out of it; although I get the feeling their backs aren't pressed firmly enough against the wall yet... Maybe losing both of this weekend's home-and-home with Ottawa will do it.
You're gonna have to explain this one. Even on their best day I would not like their chances against the Lightning or Habs in a playoff series.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're gonna have to explain this one. Even on their best day I would not like their chances against the Lightning or Habs in a playoff series.

The Wings should've knocked out Tampa last playoffs. They had a 2-1 series lead and a big lead in the last five minutes of game 4 and blew it...ended up losing in 7 with their best defenseman watching from the press box because of a questionable 1-game suspension. The Wings already beat Tampa this year. They are - AT WORST - equivalent.

The Habs had been unbeatable up until last night...when we saw what a few fortunate/unfortunate bounces can do. A great start to the season means nothing once the field of 16 is set. Methinks they peaked WAY too early. Right now, in a 7 game series, we'd expect Montreal to whip up on everybody, but it's a long way to April & May. This big lead now could be a curse by then...I witnessed it with the Wings throughout the 00's.

Honestly, the Wings most often play a lot closer to their potential when they're considered the underdogs. I'm more uneasy about beating the middling teams like Florida and Ottawa than I am Tampa or Montreal.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wings should've knocked out Tampa last playoffs. They had a 2-1 series lead and a big lead in the last five minutes of game 4 and blew it...ended up losing in 7 with their best defenseman watching from the press box because of a questionable 1-game suspension. The Wings already beat Tampa this year. They are - AT WORST - equivalent.

The Habs had been unbeatable up until last night...when we saw what a few fortunate/unfortunate bounces can do. A great start to the season means nothing once the field of 16 is set. Methinks they peaked WAY too early. Right now, in a 7 game series, we'd expect Montreal to whip up on everybody, but it's a long way to April & May. This big lead now could be a curse by then...I witnessed it with the Wings throughout the 00's.

Honestly, the Wings most often play a lot closer to their potential when they're considered the underdogs. I'm more uneasy about beating the middling teams like Florida and Ottawa than I am Tampa or Montreal.
The Leafs took the Bruins to within 10 minutes of a heavy game 7 loss. The Bruins came back, beat the Leafs, and only lost 1 more game to an Eastern Conf. opponent in the playoffs. Were the Leafs at worst equivalent to the Bruins? No, and neither were the Wings to the Lightning. In fact, given how badly they were outplayed in game 1 despite winning they were lucky to even get to 7 games so that doesn't fly.

Also find it odd that you describe Ottawa and Florida as "middling teams" when the Panthers are ahead of the Wings in the standings and the Sens are 1 pt back of them, yet think Detroit and Tampa/Montreal are "AT WORST" equivalent.

The Wings are what they are, an okay team that can qualify for the playoffs. They aren't contenders, they aren't lasting a series with most teams in the league (and have only once in the past 4 years), they're one of the oldest teams in the league right now and the youth that they do have is good but not great, their veterans are becoming more injury prone (Datsyuk hasn't played yet and if recent history is any indication this won't be his only spell on the sidelines this year), the goaltending is average at best, they get very little production from the back end as a whole, rookie coach...

They might make the playoffs. They maybe can win a round, given how unpredictable the playoffs are. Beat every team in the league? Not so much.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Leafs took the Bruins to within 10 minutes of a heavy game 7 loss. The Bruins came back, beat the Leafs, and only lost 1 more game to an Eastern Conf. opponent in the playoffs. Were the Leafs at worst equivalent to the Bruins? No, and neither were the Wings to the Lightning. In fact, given how badly they were outplayed in game 1 despite winning they were lucky to even get to 7 games so that doesn't fly.

I disagree. If it wasn't for Tyler Johnson, the Lightning could've very easily been taken down in five.

Also find it odd that you describe Ottawa and Florida as "middling teams" when the Panthers are ahead of the Wings in the standings and the Sens are 1 pt back of them, yet think Detroit and Tampa/Montreal are "AT WORST" equivalent. The Wings are what they are, an okay team that can qualify for the playoffs. They aren't contenders, they aren't lasting a series with most teams in the league (and have only once in the past 4 years), they're one of the oldest teams in the league right now and the youth that they do have is good but not great, their veterans are becoming more injury prone (Datsyuk hasn't played yet and if recent history is any indication this won't be his only spell on the sidelines this year), the goaltending is average at best, they get very little production from the back end as a whole, rookie coach...

They might make the playoffs. They maybe can win a round, given how unpredictable the playoffs are. Beat every team in the league? Not so much.

Right now, DET is right there with OTT and FLA as middling teams. However, my perspective is from playoff potential, not current standing.

I said Detroit is equivalent to Tampa. Detroit has as much -if not more- offensive firepower potential as Montreal, but they're significantly less defensively. I think it would take some MON injuries and/or critical mistakes for DET to get past MON in 7.

Howard and Mrazek have both actually played extremely well thus far this season. Calling them average at best is grossly understating them. What's average at best is the guys' play in front of them. The Wings are playing entire games in their own zone right now. The biggest problems with the Wings right now is they're out of synch and lazy - both can be corrected with a flip of a switch [i.e. urgency].

The Wings have enough pieces in place to push every team in the league to seven games. I believe that and stand by it. What I'm not so sure about is if they have the fire to get it done.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. If it wasn't for Tyler Johnson, the Lightning could've very easily been taken down in five.

Right now, DET is right there with OTT and FLA as middling teams. However, my perspective is from playoff potential, not current standing.

I said Detroit is equivalent to Tampa. Detroit has as much -if not more- offensive firepower potential as Montreal, but they're significantly less defensively. I think it would take some MON injuries and/or critical mistakes for DET to get past MON in 7.

Howard and Mrazek have both actually played extremely well thus far this season. Calling them average at best is grossly understating them. What's average at best is the guys' play in front of them. The Wings are playing entire games in their own zone right now. The biggest problems with the Wings right now is they're out of synch and lazy - both can be corrected with a flip of a switch [i.e. urgency].

The Wings have enough pieces in place to push every team in the league to seven games. I believe that and stand by it. What I'm not so sure about is if they have the fire to get it done.

Last year the WIngs were "right there" with Ottawa and not far ahead of FLA too.

2014-2015 Division Standings Standings - NHL.com - Standings

Detroit finished last year 1 point ahead of Ottawa and 9 ahead of FLA. That's a 2 point difference and an 8 point difference in the last 90 games between Detroit and Ottawa and Florida.

You can talk about potential all you want but those two teams are 2 of the youngest and have more room for internal growth than the Red Wings do. The fact of the matter is that all 3 are probably bubble playoff teams this year.

It's the NHL so if any of them make the playoffs they COULD win any given series; that's just the nature of the parody that exists in the league right now. I certainly wouldn't bet on any of those teams making past round 2 though, no matter what happens.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, okay, but Tyler Johnson was there, so...? That's like saying "well if the Oilers never had Gretzky...". It's dumb. Don't dumb here.

Unless early trends maintain, Montreal doesn't have much in terms of firepower to begin with, and for that matter neither does Detroit. As for Howard and Mrazek, I'll give Mrazek a chance given his youth but Howard isn't good. He averaged a .910 sv% over the past two full seasons which last season tied him with Cam Ward for 33rd among qualified starters. Not good.

I don't know how calling Detroit average is underestimating them, either. Their past 3 regular seasons have seen them finish 12th, 15th and 13th overall, with 1 playoff series win to show. That is about as average as you can get, and nothing I've seen thus far from them gives me reason to believe they are any different this year.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year the WIngs were "right there" with Ottawa and not far ahead of FLA too.

2014-2015 Division Standings Standings - NHL.com - Standings

Detroit finished last year 1 point ahead of Ottawa and 9 ahead of FLA. That's a 2 point difference and an 8 point difference in the last 90 games between Detroit and Ottawa and Florida.

You can talk about potential all you want but those two teams are 2 of the youngest and have more room for internal growth than the Red Wings do. The fact of the matter is that all 3 are probably bubble playoff teams this year.

It's the NHL so if any of them make the playoffs they COULD win any given series; that's just the nature of the parody that exists in the league right now. I certainly wouldn't bet on any of those teams making past round 2 though, no matter what happens.

Actually, the Panthers have the second-oldest roster in the NHL by average age. Older than Detroit's.

Ottawa has the 7th-youngest, but what they don't have that DET and FLA does is veteran leadership from guys that have made deep playoff runs.

DET has a veteran core AND a young core at the same time - and both cores developed exclusively through the Red Wings system - not imported as is the case with Florida, which I think does make a difference.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit's going through some injury issues now but once they get healthy they're going to be a tough team to beat.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit's going through some injury issues now but once they get healthy they're going to be a tough team to beat.

Yeah, they'll be fine. They get Datsyuk back in a week or two. People have completely forgotten just how bad they were before Jimmy D took over as GM in the early 80's. What an AMAZING run they've had.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, okay, but Tyler Johnson was there, so...? That's like saying "well if the Oilers never had Gretzky...". It's dumb. Don't dumb here.

Unless early trends maintain, Montreal doesn't have much in terms of firepower to begin with, and for that matter neither does Detroit. As for Howard and Mrazek, I'll give Mrazek a chance given his youth but Howard isn't good. He averaged a .910 sv% over the past two full seasons which last season tied him with Cam Ward for 33rd among qualified starters. Not good.

I don't know how calling Detroit average is underestimating them, either. Their past 3 regular seasons have seen them finish 12th, 15th and 13th overall, with 1 playoff series win to show. That is about as average as you can get, and nothing I've seen thus far from them gives me reason to believe they are any different this year.

There's a big difference between Johnson and Gretzky, though. Johnson was simply on fire and Tampa rode that through the series and beyond. Johnson stole the series with the greatest string of games of his career - he's no Gretzky.

Howard has not put up good numbers the last few season and did not play well after his injury last year, but he did play well before the injury. His low numbers are some of his own doing, but it's also because he has had a mediocre defensive corps in front of him since Lidstrom retired. Bad turnovers and positioning have put him on an island far too often these past few years. Thus far this season, both goalies are tracking the puck well, controlling rebounds, moving well, covering all corners of the net... playing as good as any goalie in the league. Both goalies have kept the Wings in games they should've gotten wasted considering the ice was tilted so heavily against them.

Calling Detroit's goalies average at best is underestimating them. The team as a whole is playing average, but their goalies are just as strong as any team in the league - even if the numbers can't reflect that.

I'm not sure how you can say Detroit doesn't have much firepower. Zetterberg has been among the league leaders in scoring all season - without Datsyuk. Larkin has the quickness, hands and ice vision of a young Crosby. Pulkkinen has a one-timer that looks like Stamkos or Ovechkin (and by the way currently has 4 goals - one less than both). Nyquist shows flashes of Patrick Kane, just needs a little more consistency. Tatar is a bit in the Kessel mold. Abdelkader, Sheahan, Richards, Helm and Franzen [if he ever plays] are all capable of pitching in 20 goals.

Where Detroit truly lacks firepower is on the blueline.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a big difference between Johnson and Gretzky, though. Johnson was simply on fire and Tampa rode that through the series and beyond. Johnson stole the series with the greatest string of games of his career - he's no Gretzky.

Howard has not put up good numbers the last few season and did not play well after his injury last year, but he did play well before the injury. His low numbers are some of his own doing, but it's also because he has had a mediocre defensive corps in front of him since Lidstrom retired. Bad turnovers and positioning have put him on an island far too often these past few years. Thus far this season, both goalies are tracking the puck well, controlling rebounds, moving well, covering all corners of the net... playing as good as any goalie in the league. Both goalies have kept the Wings in games they should've gotten wasted considering the ice was tilted so heavily against them.

Calling Detroit's goalies average at best is underestimating them. The team as a whole is playing average, but their goalies are just as strong as any team in the league - even if the numbers can't reflect that.

I'm not sure how you can say Detroit doesn't have much firepower. Zetterberg has been among the league leaders in scoring all season - without Datsyuk. Larkin has the quickness, hands and ice vision of a young Crosby. Pulkkinen has a one-timer that looks like Stamkos or Ovechkin (and by the way currently has 4 goals - one less than both). Nyquist shows flashes of Patrick Kane, just needs a little more consistency. Tatar is a bit in the Kessel mold. Abdelkader, Sheahan, Richards, Helm and Franzen [if he ever plays] are all capable of pitching in 20 goals.

Where Detroit truly lacks firepower is on the blueline.
Let's just leave it at you have a very glowing view of your team.

I don't think it's grounded in reality or fact, but I'm not going to change your mind about it and I'm fine with that.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have to start referring to Dylan Larkin as "Young Crosby" once January rolls around and he's stuck on 10 points and people start asking why a year of his ELC was burned.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have to start referring to Dylan Larkin as "Young Crosby" once January rolls around and he's stuck on 10 points and people start asking why a year of his ELC was burned.

Can we start calling Mike Hoffman "young Bure".

And, yes, I mean Pavel.

Mark Stone "young Mario"?

And no, I don't mean Tremblay.