• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red SOx win, Iggy's Gone, Peavy In, revolving door at ss continues

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty universally accepted that Simmons is the best defensive shortstop in baseball, and for good reason.

I'm not sure what the reference to my screenname is about. I don't get it.

What part of "IN MY OPINION" do you not understand? He didn't say -- Iglesias IS the best shortstop in the MLB. Who the best player at certain positions both offensively and defensively is subjective.

About the only absolute in the MLB these days is -- Miguel Cabrera is the best hitter. Other than that -- you could argue just about any other topic til you are blue in the face.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What part of "IN MY OPINION" do you not understand? He didn't say -- Iglesias IS the best shortstop in the MLB. Who the best player at certain positions both offensively and defensively is subjective.

About the only absolute in the MLB these days is -- Miguel Cabrera is the best hitter. Other than that -- you could argue just about any other topic til you are blue in the face.
I was just wondering how he arrived at his opinion when it flies in the face of most quantitative and qualitative evidence. Steve and I go way back. He knows what I was doing with that question. He basically answered my question... he's seen a lot more of Iglesias and can't form a strong opinion on Simmons because he hasn't seen him enough. That's perfectly acceptable. You might have noticed I didn't belabor the point with him.

There are other absolutes. Clayton Kershaw is the best pitcher in baseball. Troy Tulowitzki is the best all-around shortstop in baseball. There's a few.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Bosox fans are beginning to sound more and more like the spoiled Yankmees fans, I swear (and I like the Bosox).

Peavy, when healthy, is an ABSOLUTE warrior on the mound. I love his take no prisoners attitude and how he gets pissed when he or his teammates aren't playing well. Again ... that warrior mentality ... HE HATES TO LOSE!!! And that will prevail in the dugout and the clubhouse. His only problem is his health ... he never wants to leave a game even if he's aching, but his presence will be a big plus for Boston. He's a great #2 guy on any team in the MLB and I wish him well in Boston Strong Nation.

Signed,
Die hard White Sox fan

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Sox, since Nomar, the have traded short stops Jed Lowrie, Mike Aviles, Orlando Cabrera, Marco Scutaro, Edgar Renteria, and Julio Lugo. Curses.

I just found a complete list and noticed they also traded Pedro Ciriaco, Yamaico Navaro, and Nick Punto...

Since Nomar, here are the games played at short for Boston:
Lugo 245
Scutaro 234
Gonzalez 153
Renteria 150
Lowrie 130
Aviles 129
Cora 112
Drew 74
Green 74
Cabrera 57
Reese 57
Iglesias 51
Ciriaco 28
Navarro 8
Crespo 7
Vazquez 6
Pedroia 5
Punto 5

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Bosox fans are beginning to sound more and more like the spoiled Yankmees fans, I swear (and I like the Bosox).

Peavy, when healthy, is an ABSOLUTE warrior on the mound. I love his take no prisoners attitude and how he gets pissed when he or his teammates aren't playing well. Again ... that warrior mentality ... HE HATES TO LOSE!!! And that will prevail in the dugout and the clubhouse. His only problem is his health ... he never wants to leave a game even if he's aching, but his presence will be a big plus for Boston. He's a great #2 guy on any team in the MLB and I wish him well in Boston Strong Nation.

Signed,
Die hard White Sox fan

One guy posts: "how many games until he hits the DL", and we all sound like spoiled Yankee fans?

I always say, you can never have enough SP. This was a great trade. And at first glance, it looks like a good deal for all three teams.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One guy posts: "how many games until he hits the DL", and we all sound like spoiled Yankee fans?

I always say, you can never have enough SP. This was a great trade. And at first glance, it looks like a good deal for all three teams.

Even saying that how does that make it seem spoiled? I just think he will hit the DL that's all.

Lord Scalious

Shut up World
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just wondering how he arrived at his opinion when it flies in the face of most quantitative and qualitative evidence. Steve and I go way back. He knows what I was doing with that question. He basically answered my question... he's seen a lot more of Iglesias and can't form a strong opinion on Simmons because he hasn't seen him enough. That's perfectly acceptable. You might have noticed I didn't belabor the point with him.

There are other absolutes. Clayton Kershaw is the best pitcher in baseball. Troy Tulowitzki is the best all-around shortstop in baseball. There's a few.

Iggy had been playing 3rd and short this year. From what I've seen of both of Simmons and Iggy. They are both pretty damn amazing.

I don't find defensive Metrics as trustworthy yet. So I don't want to call it an absolute like we do with Kershaw and Tulo. So yes, it is open to reasonable subjectivity.

An Absolute would be saying Simmons is "arguably the best SS in the game" for me.

But saying he is THE best, hands down, no questions asked. Is not such the Absolute.

If Iggy was an established Starting SS and stayed there only. I get the feeling he would get a little more love from others...

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iggy had been playing 3rd and short this year. From what I've seen of both of Simmons and Iggy. They are both pretty damn amazing.

I don't find defensive Metrics as trustworthy yet. So I don't want to call it an absolute like we do with Kershaw and Tulo. So yes, it is open to reasonable subjectivity.

An Absolute would be saying Simmons is "arguably the best SS in the game" for me.

But saying he is THE best, hands down, no questions asked. Is not such the Absolute.

If Iggy was an established Starting SS and stayed there only. I get the feeling he would get a little more love from others...

Maybe he can give Cabrera some defensive tips (in exchange or some batting tips).

Win/win to Detroit!

tygerphan4ever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He paid nice dividends this evening in producing in a game where there was little to no production possible.. furthermore, with groundball Fister out there he certainly didn disappoint in that way either. Porcello is going to feel comfortable with him also, I would think.