• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Red Sox versus Cardinals World Series Thread

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, 6 AB's is a good sample size. Players don't get too many chances to bat with the bases loaded in post-season play, so 6 AB's with the bases loaded is a large sample size.

No, 6 AB's isn't a "large" sample size under any circumstances. Have you ever taken a simple statistics course or are you still in middle school? :L

You keep saying this "know thy enemy" junk. You are the clown. I fully know and understand the Cardinals. They are a team that lacks speed, defense in both the infield and outfield, and for the most part...power. They have gotten by with excellent pitching.

You have just shown "again" you know jack squat about STL. What did you use another 6, in this case games, sample size to construct your STL opinion? STL was between # 5 and #8 in any statistical pitching category. Quality Starts, WHIP, ERA, OBP, TB. Besides, when you have the best record in the NL, "gotten" by is a bit of an understatement.

Are you too lazy to even spend 15 minutes to research your enemy, even after I challenge you, you still know jack squat about how we had the best record in the NL.

Some of the numbers for Colorado are skewed but even then, STL was #1 in runs scored with 783, #1 in OBP at .332. If the Mile high air was excluded in a cpl of the categories, STL would also be #1 in Total Bases, #1 in OPS, #2 in SLG and #1 in AVG. Even in those 4 categories, there are only slightly behind Colorado.

The 2013 STL Cardinal had the HIGHEST batting average with RISP on record dating back to 1916! Yet, it was their exc pitching that "had gotten them by".

2013 NLCS: Cardinals try to continue historic hitting with RISP - True Blue LA

Face the facts, you haven't shown any knowledge from jumpstreet. Nada, Nothing, Zero. :L

My point is that they haven't faced a lineup that will make them work at bat to at bat for an entire game. The Braves and the Dodgers lineups you faced don't come close to the Sox lineup. The Sox, though, are very familiar facing good pitching.

McFly, McFly, STL faced the Buccos and the Dodgers, not the Braves :omg: :laugh3:

You also talk about Leyland's mistakes, the Tiger bullpen, and baserunning. The Tigers out forth some of the best starters in baseball and we still beat them. You talk about bullpen, but when we beat Verlander, it was a 1-0 game and Napoli hit the HR off Verlander. When we beat Sanchez the second time, it was all against Sanchez. Scherzer was done in Game 6, and the ball Victorino hit out was off of a good pitch against a pitcher that was destroying us with his curveball in Veras. Game 2 was the only real bullpen implosion.

You got destroyed by Sanchez, Scherzer and Verlander in those 3 games. You struck out 30 times in the first 16 innings of 1 and 2. Leyland puts in Coke vs Ortiz and the series is over. The momentum swung. It was monumental. Don't forget the DB ball error that keeps the Tiger lead at 2-1 in game 6.

I give you credit. You capitalized on bonehead moves and plays throughout the series. You won and that's all that matters, but don't talk like you beat these pitchers. You were waving toothpicks against Scherzer and Verlander. Sanchez regressed back to the lifetime pitcher he is and his Game 1 was just as flukey as a 2 for 23 hitter smacking a grandslam to win game 6.

I think you should do a little more studying on these Sox before you waste our time with ridiculous rants.

Says the guy that was "clueless" about STL leading virtually every NL "offensive" category and setting an all time RISP record. Then the same guy didn't even know we played the Bucco's in round 1 and not Atlanta. :laugh3:

You're delusional. I've laid my money on STL, so go collect your allowance and do the same.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Tom Yawkey owned the team and overestimated the value of power hitting and underestimated other parts of the game they were a bit of a joke in some people's minds, but Yawkey's been dead for roughly a decade now and the current management does not make the mistakes Yawkey made so often.

That is largely why they won it all twice in 4 years and could very well make it 3 times in 9 this year.

Win or lose this WS they no longer even remotely resemble a joke!

Stop with the excuses. The BoSox were a Babe Ruth cursed joke for 86 years, so don't pull a pocketman theory.

What is a bit of a joke in some minds? You and pocketman get together and question 6 fans outside of Fenway as your sample size? :L :yahoo:

Get real. BoSox were a choking joke for 86 years. Nobody was talking about "no longer", pocket was acting like I was still bent for the 2004 series. I laughed.

Btw, you may want to head to your local j.c. for a math course because it's 3 out of 10, not 9.

Kids! :doh:

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong Post. The curse of Fenway.

Attachments

• 19-merry-christmas.jpg
    19-merry-christmas.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 39

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking of making my avatar a life-size pic of Beltran's 'roid 'shroom. Sound good? :noidea:

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,043.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Sox came out hot last night. i expect them to keep it going tonight

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, 6 AB's is a good sample size. Players don't get too many chances to bat with the bases loaded in post-season play, so 6 AB's with the bases loaded is a large sample size. It also doesn't matter how many HR's Victorino hits during the season. He has shown that he is capable of doing it. It's not like he's Juam Pierre. He hit 15hr's this season and has hit as many as 18 in a season. Does that make him more or less dangerous?

Allen Craig hit 13 hr's this season. I wouldn't call it out of the ordinary if he hit a Hr during the playoffs.

You keep saying this "know thy enemy" junk. You are the clown. I fully know and understand the Cardinals. They are a team that lacks speed, defense in both the infield and outfield, and for the most part...power. They have gotten by with excellent pitching.

My point is that they haven't faced a lineup that will make them work at bat to at bat for an entire game. The Braves and the Dodgers lineups you faced don't come close to the Sox lineup. The Sox, though, are very familiar facing good pitching.

You also talk about Leyland's mistakes, the Tiger bullpen, and baserunning. The Tigers out forth some of the best starters in baseball and we still beat them. You talk about bullpen, but when we beat Verlander, it was a 1-0 game and Napoli hit the HR off Verlander. When we beat Sanchez the second time, it was all against Sanchez. Scherzer was done in Game 6, and the ball Victorino hit out was off of a good pitch against a pitcher that was destroying us with his curveball in Veras. Game 2 was the only real bullpen implosion.

The point there is that the Sox hitters made adjustments throughout the series. That is what a team of professional hitters does.

I think you should do a little more studying on these Sox before you waste our time with ridiculous rants.

Let's see...Where should I start? Oh, I know. "Know thy enemy". Let's check my analysis and see how it panned out in Game 1:

1. Cardinals lack speed -Check
  2. Cardinals lack defense in the INF and OF - CHECK -and Kozma is the best defensive infielder. Even some of the fly balls to Holliday looked like adventures.
  3. Cardinals lack power -check -Holliday's HR notwithstanding
  4. Cardinals haven't faced a lineup that makes the pitchers work -Check - Wainwright had over 60 pitches thrown after 2 innings
  5. Sox hitters still hit well against good pitching when they need to- Check
  6. Sox are a team of solid, professional hitters -Check
You mock about forgetting that they played the Pirates instead of the Braves. So what? The Pirates have an even more pathethic offense.

The comment about excellent pitching had to do with the playoffs, not the season. The Cardinals work with RISP does show they are good situational hitters, but when the stakes are highest, you can't always count on getting the run home with a .400 avg. Sometimes you need the 2 run HR to score some runs.

What the Sox did in Game 1 was beat the Cardinals #1 starter, and then proceed to wreak havoc on their bullpen. The Sox scored on Maness, Siegrist, and Martinez, and none looked comfortable.

You said the Cardinals wouldn't make the errors/mistakes the Tigers did , and that the Sox couldn't score on the Cards bullpen. These were your 2 main points about why the Sox beat the Tigers and WOULDN"T beat the Cardinals. You were emphatically wrong on both counts.

Try to understand your team better and the Sox. Then come back to the board. The more you post, the more you look like a moron.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My prediction was also that Wacha shits his pants tonight. I stand by that comment. He got a birds eye view of what this Sox offense is capable of.

I think he now "knows thy enemy".

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't refute your idiocy, so bypass and talk to yourself, corky.

Yes, 6 AB's is a good sample size. Players don't get too many chances to bat with the bases loaded in post-season play, so 6 AB's with the bases loaded is a large sample size.

No, 6 AB's isn't a good sample size under any circumstances. Have you ever taken a simple statistics course or are you still in middle school? :laugh3:

You have just shown "again" you know jack squat about STL. What did you use another 6, in this case games, sample size to construct your STL opinion? STL was between # 5 and #8 in any statistical pitching category. Quality Starts, WHIP, ERA, OBP, TB. Besides, when you have the best record in the NL, "gotten" by is a bit of an understatement.

Are you too lazy to even spend 15 minutes to research your enemy, even after I challenge you, you still know jack squat about how we had the best record in the NL.

Some of the numbers for Colorado are skewed but even then, STL was #1 in runs scored with 783, #1 in OBP at .332. If the Mile high air was excluded in a cpl of the categories, STL would also be #1 in Total Bases, #1 in OPS, #2 in SLG and #1 in AVG. Even in those 4 categories, there are only slightly behind Colorado.

The 2013 STL Cardinal had the HIGHEST batting average with RISP on record dating back to 1916! Yet, it was their exc pitching that "had gotten them by".

2013 NLCS: Cardinals try to continue historic hitting with RISP - True Blue LA

Face the facts, you haven't shown any knowledge from jumpstreet. Nada, Nothing, Zero

McFly, McFly, STL faced the Buccos and the Dodgers, not the Braves. More ignorance. :L

You got destroyed by Sanchez, Scherzer and Verlander in those 3 games. You struck out 30 times in the first 16 innings of 1 and 2. Leyland puts in Coke vs Ortiz and the series is over. The momentum swung. It was monumental. Don't forget the DB ball error that keeps the Tiger lead at 2-1 in game 6.

I give you credit. You capitalized on bonehead moves and plays throughout the series. You won and that's all that matters, but don't talk like you beat these pitchers. You were waving toothpicks against Scherzer and Verlander. Sanchez regressed back to the lifetime pitcher he is and his Game 1 was just as flukey as a 2 for 23 hitter smacking a grandslam to win game 6.

Says the guy that was "clueless" about STL leading virtually every NL "offensive" category and setting an all time RISP record. Then the same guy didn't even know we played the Bucco's in round 1 and not Atlanta. You're delusional. I've laid my money on STL, so go collect your allowance and do the same.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see...Where should I start? Oh, I know. "Know thy enemy". Let's check my analysis and see how it panned out in Game 1:

How about game # 2, corky?

Cardinals lack speed -Check

Good enough to execute a paramount double steal. - WRONG

Cardinals lack defense in the INF and OF - CHECK -and Kozma is the best defensive infielder. Even some of the fly balls to Holliday looked like adventures.

Kozma redeemed himself but in this game it was the BoSox that looked like the Bad News Bears. - WRONG

Cardinals lack power -check -Holliday's HR notwithstanding

Is that how it works? You just eliminate Holliday’s bomb because it “attempts” to suit your premise? Give it up. Ortiz has 2 HR’s, Holliday 1. No, STL isn’t a power team, but to just dismiss the HR is what makes you a clown. :L

Cardinals haven't faced a lineup that makes the pitchers work -Check - Wainwright had over 60 pitches thrown after 2 innings

Common Knowledge. I used to pitch and I couldn’t stand teams that looked to walk. Take one borderline pitch after pitch. It’s annoying. Fine, it’s strategic and you work it but I know from being a baller that they’re wussies. Swing the bats.

It goes back to my whole point about your Detroit series. Let’s get the starters out that we can’t hit and take advantage of a poor decision making manager and bullpen.

Sox hitters still hit well against good pitching when they need to- Check

I guess they didn’t need to hit well against Wacha, Martinez or Rosenthal now did they? - WRONG

Sox are a team of solid, professional hitters -Check

I don't consider taking borderline pitch after borderline pitch professional = Wussies!

You mock about forgetting that they played the Pirates instead of the Braves. So what? The Pirates have an even more pathethic offense.

Fewest hits in a Bo Sox WS game since Gibson handcuffed you in Game 7 of '67. Lonborg and champagne. Lonborg and champagne.

That's pretty pathetic, if you ask me.

You said the Cardinals wouldn't make the errors/mistakes the Tigers did , and that the Sox couldn't score on the Cards bullpen. These were your 2 main points about why the Sox beat the Tigers and WOULDN"T beat the Cardinals. You were emphatically wrong on both counts.

Well, it looks like Martinez and Rosenthal mowed you down. 6 strikeouts in 3 innings is called mowing ‘em down in my book and you couldn't score. Hey corky, it doesn't mean that you will never score a run off the bullpen. Use some common sense.

It's all these anomoly Grand slams by a guy who is 3 for his last 31 and looks to walk everytime.

Try to understand your team better and the Sox. Then come back to the board. The more you post, the more you look like a moron.

It looks like you got way too ahead of yourself and arrogant because everything I mentioned about both squads came to fruition.

I typically don’t talk smack during a series because it’s not how I roll, but it’s obvious you’re obsessed with me.

You've shown in one post after another that you're just a kid. Uneducated, arrogant and doesn't know thy enemy or that it's a 7 game series.

If you did knows the winner needs 4, you wouldn't have been so obsessed with me after 1 game. Yes, including my name in a thread = obsessed.

I wait until the series is over and if the other team wins, I congratulate. If my team wins, then I don’t do a thing because it serves no purpose. STL has a huge window.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Common Knowledge. I used to pitch and I couldn’t stand teams that looked to walk. Take one borderline pitch after pitch. It’s annoying. Fine, it’s strategic and you work it but I know from being a baller that they’re wussies. Swing the bats.

It goes back to my whole point about your Detroit series. Let’s get the starters out that we can’t hit and take advantage of a poor decision making manager and bullpen.

I used to pitch too, and the I guess the difference between you and me is that I was able to throw strikes. If you are worried about guys taking a walk, then throw it over the plate.

As far as swinging the bat on borderline pitches? It depends on the situation. If a man is on 3rd with less than 2 outs, then maybe you take a swing at a borderline pitch to put it in play to score the run. Otherwise, it is sound baseball to try to get on base, while working the count.

The Sox don't take pitches just to get the pitcher out of the game. There are other reasons. One might be to try to get a better pitch to hit. Another is to try to get in hitters counts, like 2-0, 2-1, 3-1, that force the pitcher to throw a strike, also meaning a better pitch to hit. Another is that by forcing the pitcher to throw more, he could start losing his stuff.

Obviously you believe differently, but you are viewed as the clown on here. You have little insight and apparent understanding of the game. Oh, I know you think you do. They always do.

You are also the one who came on here spewing about how the Red Sox got lucky. Nobody else was talking shit about the Cardnals before you got on here.

Maybe your negative posts about the Sox were driven by fear and anxiety, and that was a way to make yourself feel better.

I think you should crawl back into your hole and resurface in February. Maybe you will see your shadow, and we will know how many more weeks before Spring comes.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How is not trying not to make an out for wussies?

Good enough to execute a paramount double steal. - WRONG
Just because they executed a double steal doesn't mean they lack speed. They were last in the NL in stolen bases (45 stolen bases, caught 22 times).

Last edited by a moderator:

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Buehrle has two no-hitters. Doesn't change the fact that he's been hittable throughout his career.

Ellsbury hit two home runs in a game this year. Doesn't make him a power hitter.

Etc.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is trying not*

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I NEVER pitched, sucked the few times I tried in practice...just caught pitchers....and pitchers who tried to be cute and "touch the edges" weren't successfull long term....if you have "stuff" make them beat you...the edges are only for "situations"......teams looking for walks were smart, not wusses...guessing you didn't last too many innings and put unneeded innings on bullpen arms and that is why you were a number 3 in middle school and HS, number 4 in college or number 5 in the minors...whatever level, you were the one they would hope to at least get the min innings from and defenders couldn't stand to play behind you "being cute" on the edges and working long counts all the time.

Just a guess, I could be wrong though.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ospreys, would you rather have that "wussie" Ted Williams or Vladimir Guerrero?