• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rate the 1st Round

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simply give a letter grade on the 1st round and then a reason.

B: I originally wanted to go with a B- because I'm literally yelling at my television. They're comparing Robinson to Orlando Pace and I'm baffled... Don't people remember Jason Smith? Just because you draft a tackle in the Top 3, doesn't mean they are Hall of Famers. The only reason I'm not failing the FO is because Robinson IS a good player, and I think he'll be a good Ram, its just a shame we drafted a OG with the 2nd pick in the draft when EVERY OG we would want is still on the board! It just makes one sense! Last year we passed on Warmack, the top OG to draft a WR, the FO BLEW the 1st round of the past two years and the only reason they still have their job is because of their SECOND pick in the 1st round (Ogletree and Donald). We've passed on MUCH better OTs in the past for other players. We took Bradford in 2010, in 2011 we took Quinn, which has makes up for passing up the probowl center picked right after him, in 2012 we pass of Matt Khalil, who is a top tackle, I understand why they did it though. Last year we trade up and pass up Warmack AND Fluker to draft a WR (who wasn't better then previous spects (Blackmon) or next year's prospect (Watkins). I just don't understand the justification that the FO has in drafting the OG at #2 and hope we becomes a OT, btw we never played OG in the college, he has A LOT to learn. Donald I think has pro-bowl potential and I think it makes up for the bad pick early. B.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm upset they didnt trade down with Buffalo. Robinson for Lewan, Buffalo's 1st next year and Buffalo's 4th next year? Yeah, that would be awesome.

Ill give it a B+ just because we picked two guys that have physical advantages over 99.999% of the world

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C+ but I'll give the a B- if buffalo didn't offer a trade at 2

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give it a B-. We got a great guard/potential future tackle. We got a good DT that we really didn't need. So we got decent quality players but we could have done better if we had gotten Watkins and then traded down from 13th for more picks. This is a deep draft and I think more picks would have been beneficial. If you notice SF has the most picks in the draft and didn't trade any of their picks because I suspect they also realize that this is the deepest draft in years and the picks they make will reap rewards down the line.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna have to break it up into two scores..... so here it goes.....

Robinson: I'd hate to say it but until he proves me wrong I'm gonna have to go with a C- for his pick. I have major concerns with him as a LT. I know Jake Long is coming back from an injury that could limit his productiveness in the future or cause him to miss a few games. But in regards to Robinson, YOU DON'T PICK A PROJECT IN THE FIRST HALF OF THE FIRST ROUND!!!!! Have the Rams learned nothing from Jason Smith? I'm going to break it down a bit further...

2009 1st round tackles.

#2 Jason Smith
#6 Andre Smith
#8 Eugene Monroe
#23 Michael Oher

Does this draft have some scary similarities to this years draft or what? Andre Smith in reality should have been the first player picked. Of course it's easy to say that now because hindsight is always 20/20. However I remember that draft was the first year I really started to follow football in the offseason. I was chilling watching ESPN (back when they actually reported sports news) and they said all signs were pointing to the Rams picking Andre Smith 2nd overall. And then the Combine happened and all bets were off. Everyone was fascinated with Jason Smith and his athleticism. Ring any bells???? lol. Point is, game film doesn't lie and coaches and FO's get into trouble when they start believing the hype. I admit that Andre came in the combine out of shape but it doesn't excuse the pick @2.
Robinson has some of the same things in common as Smith. He's a high risk, high reward type of pick. He can either be an elite LT or be a huge bust. I will say Robinson has a couple of traits and talents that Smith didn't have but in reality they are the same type of player in the regard of being a 'project player'. Smith also didn't have one of the best teachers and coaches that Robinson will have which is why I gave it a C- instead of an F.

Beware tho, if Robinson flops (which I hope he doesn't) You heard it from Myself and SJ76 first and we'll be the first to tell you guys, "we told you so".

Aaron Donald: A+

I absolutely love this kid. He's got tons and tons of potential. He played like a mad man in college and I can't wait to see what he can do at the NFL level. If you don't like the pick watch this tape and it will change your mind! I know some of you wanted Haha Dix there but Donald is just too much of a beast to pass up.

11 Sacks at DT??? need i say more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3YKvx6LcBs

So if i have to put the scores together I would have to give it a B to B-
But if robinson flops then I'll change my grade to an F for the entire draft no matter who they draft in the next 6 rounds. You can't flop on an OT twice in a row at with the 2nd overall pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that highlight tape they must say "if you single him up he's going to make a play" like every 4th sentence lol Sack machine!

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice draft, Rams fans. I'd give the first round for you an A. Like the NFC West needs to get any nastier!

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that highlight tape they must say "if you single him up he's going to make a play" like every 4th sentence lol Sack machine!

Ya dude.......

Quinn/Sims
Brockers/Conwrath
Donald/Langford
Long/Hayes

hoooooollllllly shiiiiiiit.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya dude.......

Quinn/Sims
Brockers/Conwrath
Donald/Langford
Long/Hayes

hoooooollllllly shiiiiiiit.

Russel and Colin should be pumped :drool:

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice draft, Rams fans. I'd give the first round for you an A. Like the NFC West needs to get any nastier!

I cried when you and the 9ers took those last two safeties! Though I did have Ward as my 3rd and Bucannon as my 4th. LOVED this class of S, really wanted one. There are no long term starters in the defensive backfield left in the draft, what you did (while someone may not like is) is get a long term starter and secure that when you play the Rams, Palmer can throw it deep because there will be NO help in the middle of the field.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2009 1st round tackles.

#2 Jason Smith
#6 Andre Smith
#8 Eugene Monroe
#23 Michael Oher
To be fair, 3/4 of those guys are terrible. Oher is awful, Monroe is mediocre at best, J Smith was total garbage. Andre Smith is the only good one of the bunch and he is a RT I think. Robinson probably compares more to him than Jason Smith, too.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B+ because I really wanted Watkins or Mack over Robinson. I understand the Robinson pick and am cool with it, just wouldn't have been my preference. Dominant physical talents at both picks, just didn't think OL was a first day need personally.

I won't weight my grade with any coulda/shoulda trade statements, as we have no idea what was offered. As far as the Buffalo trade, future picks are typically devalued by a round compared to current year picks. So, that was essentially a 2nd and 5th to move down to 9 if they had been 2014 picks. Not sure that was great value to move to 2. To move to 4? Better value. Plus, you don't know how the picks would've changed had Robinson not been off the board at 2.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave it a B+ because we got the number one rated guys on both lines. Whether they live up to that remains to be witnessed. Also, Eugene Sims is still an unsigned FA I believe so he can't be counted into the rotation just yet.

Yea, Ice, I am still pissed that the Rams whiffed on Fluker, Warmack, Warford, AND Kyle Long last year, ALL of whom had a great year last year. WE did not select one of them and gyrated ourselves to death to get Austin. Olgetree was a great selection though.

In fact we have a pattern here that has become rather annoying. We seem to eff things up when we have a high pick in the first round but do better in the latter part of the first round. The remedy? Win more games and then we will be picking later where we seem to do much better.When that happens then we can't seem to get into the first part of the first round where the talent is like last year. Sometimes I think the Queen Idiot is still running the show from the grave!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna have to break it up into two scores..... so here it goes.....

Robinson: I'd hate to say it but until he proves me wrong I'm gonna have to go with a C- for his pick. I have major concerns with him as a LT. I know Jake Long is coming back from an injury that could limit his productiveness in the future or cause him to miss a few games. But in regards to Robinson, YOU DON'T PICK A PROJECT IN THE FIRST HALF OF THE FIRST ROUND!!!!! Have the Rams learned nothing from Jason Smith? I'm going to break it down a bit further...

2009 1st round tackles.

#2 Jason Smith
#6 Andre Smith
#8 Eugene Monroe
#23 Michael Oher

Does this draft have some scary similarities to this years draft or what? Andre Smith in reality should have been the first player picked. Of course it's easy to say that now because hindsight is always 20/20. However I remember that draft was the first year I really started to follow football in the offseason. I was chilling watching ESPN (back when they actually reported sports news) and they said all signs were pointing to the Rams picking Andre Smith 2nd overall. And then the Combine happened and all bets were off. Everyone was fascinated with Jason Smith and his athleticism. Ring any bells???? lol. Point is, game film doesn't lie and coaches and FO's get into trouble when they start believing the hype. I admit that Andre came in the combine out of shape but it doesn't excuse the pick @2.
Robinson has some of the same things in common as Smith. He's a high risk, high reward type of pick. He can either be an elite LT or be a huge bust. I will say Robinson has a couple of traits and talents that Smith didn't have but in reality they are the same type of player in the regard of being a 'project player'. Smith also didn't have one of the best teachers and coaches that Robinson will have which is why I gave it a C- instead of an F.

Beware tho, if Robinson flops (which I hope he doesn't) You heard it from Myself and SJ76 first and we'll be the first to tell you guys, "we told you so".

Aaron Donald: A+

I absolutely love this kid. He's got tons and tons of potential. He played like a mad man in college and I can't wait to see what he can do at the NFL level. If you don't like the pick watch this tape and it will change your mind! I know some of you wanted Haha Dix there but Donald is just too much of a beast to pass up.

11 Sacks at DT??? need i say more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3YKvx6LcBs

So if i have to put the scores together I would have to give it a B to B-
But if robinson flops then I'll change my grade to an F for the entire draft no matter who they draft in the next 6 rounds. You can't flop on an OT twice in a row at with the 2nd overall pick.
If it makes you feel any better about the situation, this isn't a 'twice in a row' scenario.

The Rams absolutely hit it out of the park with their last 2nd round pick and the guy your disparaging is one of eight players acquired with that pick which in turn yielded *4 quality starters outside of Robinson who will no doubt start next season and odds are he will be a quality starter.

(*Jenkins, Ogletree, Brockers, Stacey).

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it makes you feel any better about the situation, this isn't a 'twice in a row' scenario.

The Rams absolutely hit it out of the park with their last 2nd round pick and the guy your disparaging is one of eight players acquired with that pick which in turn yielded *4 quality starters outside of Robinson who will no doubt start next season and odds are he will be a quality starter.

(*Jenkins, Ogletree, Brockers, Stacey).

That doesn't make me feel any better.
I hold my reservations on Robinson for now. If he can become an elite lg and then LT only then will I bow down to snisher

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd go along with the talking heads consensus and give them a Solid A.

No, it's nowhere near what I wanted. I had Watkins and Martin however I probably would have passed on Martin if Donald was still sitting there and been left with a hole at guard.

If we were in a different division and/or if we had taken different paths in previous drafts, I'm sure we all could agree that these two picks would probably have been playmakers.

The reason it is a solid A is related to the Division we are in. We must be able to control the line of scrimmage against teams dedicated to doing the same. We will now be able to open holes in the running game on offense and that will give the 'play makers' (Tavon/Cooks/Givens/Bradford) we already have invested on the roster a second and a half more to execute.

On the defensive side, we really needed to shore up our run defense vs our divisional foes. They killed us in creating manageable 3rd down situations for themselves on offense by getting positive yards on first and second downs. This allowed them to control the clock and keep their defense off the field. Now with Donald in the fold, we have a dude who can penetrate the back field because teams can ill afford to double this dude. He will step up our run defense immensely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am leaning in that direction Vita. Your synopsis is stellar as usual.