• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rants and Raves- Week 3

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI - Maybe it was because I was shitfaced and raising hell when our D was on the field, but I saw no wave occur (at least in my section - 3).

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprising. I haven't been gone all that long, but I must say, the students there now are pretty stupid. Maybe I just got old fast and can't relate. Hmm, I should just go sit in the West stands...

I'm with ya on this. Ms.VTFF is a grad student so we have season tickets in East with other students and I constantly wonder "was I this bad?" Also the number of "hipsters" on campus is alarming now. I want to push them all down the stairs at Lane.

I agree with the paper airplane toss. Why do people go to a football game and not watch? Atleast sell your ticket. But hey it is an engineering school and my freshman roommate was more into airplanes than football.

Also agree on Edwards and will throw in Telvion Clark too. Guy is nasty.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI - Maybe it was because I was shitfaced and raising hell when our D was on the field, but I saw no wave occur (at least in my section - 3).

You had to have been. It was the biggest "wave" ive ever seen at Lane. Also happened multiple times.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
yeah early in the second and later in the 3rd (iirc) the one that went around 4-5 times would have been extremely difficult to miss.

although im not a fan of the wave ive got to give it to em, they really had it going at one time.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys have it all wrong. While the wave is a nuisance, what should be outlawed is the fucking paper airplane throwing. I read an article in the collegiate times about how it's becoming the "next great tradition" and I nearly got sick. All it does is distract people from cheering, and increase the likelihood that students will no longer be able to print their tickets from home. Blows my mind that college students actually think it's fun.

I was a student the first year they did the print your ticket thing. Everyone would throw them down right before the 4th quarter started after the hokie pokie. I thought it was pretty cool to watch a paper airplane make it from the top of the East stands to the field. Its rather harmless fun but we did it in between quarters. Not sure when they are doing it now.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These waves must have occurred while I was on a restroom break then. Glad I didn't see it, I mean come on here. We aren't UVA where our fans/program treat this sport like any other. This is God's sport in God's country, treat it as such. That is all.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh God UVA. What a joke of a football atmosphere. If we ever start linking arms and swaying I'm going to jump off South.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a student the first year they did the print your ticket thing. Everyone would throw them down right before the 4th quarter started after the hokie pokie. I thought it was pretty cool to watch a paper airplane make it from the top of the East stands to the field. Its rather harmless fun but we did it in between quarters. Not sure when they are doing it now.

It's still pretty much the same deal. What bothers me is that paper airplanes never make it to the field from east stands so people spend half the fourth quarter trying to land it on the field, which distracts fans from cheering when our players need it the most. Plus, I'm in north now so landing an airplane on the field is not much of an accomplishment.

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a recent graduate, and yeah I remember the paper airplane thing when it started. I think it's pretty stupid as well. Any paper airplanes that came my way I would keep, because they had a free McDonald's burger on them or something useful like that. Agreed that the wave is stupid during the game. If you're going to do it, do it when nobody is on the field playing, i.e. a timeout or halftime.

Also, I hardly ever sat in the East stands, even when my ticket was over there. That part of the student section was terrible (upper sections) and I would just get into the top of the South endzone in the corner of 501. I had a perfect view, no one is throwing up on me (North endzone, in the rain no less.), no one is annoying me by not watching the game and loudly talking about something else, it's just a nice semi-quiet place to enjoy the game. For what it's worth, the North endzone was fun, but the people behind me were so annoying and would sneak in all of their friends. Nothing like 14 people packed in to about 5 seats falling all over you during the game. They seriously need to fix that problem.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still pretty much the same deal. What bothers me is that paper airplanes never make it to the field from east stands so people spend half the fourth quarter trying to land it on the field, which distracts fans from cheering when our players need it the most. Plus, I'm in north now so landing an airplane on the field is not much of an accomplishment.

why are they trying to get them on the field?

what game was it this past weekend where they kept throwing those yellow balls on the field? god that was annoying.

IMO, after a warning, throwing things onto the field should result in a penalty for the hometeam (granted i guess it would be hard to tell if the item thrown came from a home fan or away fan...)

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a recent graduate, and yeah I remember the paper airplane thing when it started. I think it's pretty stupid as well. Any paper airplanes that came my way I would keep, because they had a free McDonald's burger on them or something useful like that. Agreed that the wave is stupid during the game. If you're going to do it, do it when nobody is on the field playing, i.e. a timeout or halftime.

Also, I hardly ever sat in the East stands, even when my ticket was over there. That part of the student section was terrible (upper sections) and I would just get into the top of the South endzone in the corner of 501. I had a perfect view, no one is throwing up on me (North endzone, in the rain no less.), no one is annoying me by not watching the game and loudly talking about something else, it's just a nice semi-quiet place to enjoy the game. For what it's worth, the North endzone was fun, but the people behind me were so annoying and would sneak in all of their friends. Nothing like 14 people packed in to about 5 seats falling all over you during the game. They seriously need to fix that problem.

ugh, i have always hated the view from the north/south endzones...4 out of 5 years of getting student season tickets i had seats in the east stands, right around the 45 yard line...it was awesome...then my final year my group got stuck in stands behind the marching band....terrible views.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ugh, i have always hated the view from the north/south endzones...4 out of 5 years of getting student season tickets i had seats in the east stands, right around the 45 yard line...it was awesome...then my final year my group got stuck in stands behind the marching band....terrible views.

I got lottery tickets in the south which had a good view but it sucked getting up there and felt like we were out of the action. Our season tickets junior year were in the East and we sat around the 40 and it pretty cool to be there. Senior year we were in the North and that was the most fun. I liked being able to see the play develop behind the line.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got lottery tickets in the south which had a good view but it sucked getting up there and felt like we were out of the action. Our season tickets junior year were in the East and we sat around the 40 and it pretty cool to be there. Senior year we were in the North and that was the most fun. I liked being able to see the play develop behind the line.

that part was cool, i hated trying to figure out if the play went for 5 yards or 15 yards though, being behind the endzone, and those seats were so low, it was really tough to gauge how long they were good for once play got down to the other end of the field

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thats always going to be a problem, but i was one of those kids that would sneak a couple people in.. never an outrageous amount though, like 1 or 2 people

if they wanted to fix that problem they'd stop doing the print your own tickets thing.. print out a bunch of them and you have a bunch of north end zone tickets, as long as your friend has a ticket, they can sit in the north

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that part was cool, i hated trying to figure out if the play went for 5 yards or 15 yards though, being behind the endzone, and those seats were so low, it was really tough to gauge how long they were good for once play got down to the other end of the field

as a 4 year vet of the north end zone (i spent 1 game in the south, other than that it was all north for my stay in blacksburg), you get used to it.. you cant really tell yourself, but you start gauging the east stands to see how good of a play it was haha

i loved sitting in the north

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Rave: Logan Thomas actually looked good to me in the Arky St game. His two picks were awful passes, but aside from that I thought he looked great. He would have had over 300 yards easily if Davis and Dunn were able to catch the ball. Considering our run game was struggling, he showed good poise and touch on a lot throws. He has alot of work to do, but I feel much better with him there than I did with Tyrod in his first two seasons (both BCS bowl seasons).

Rave: The key is our defense is back, especially run defense. A few big plays here and there in the pass game, but that will happen. We look much more sure in tackling

Rant: Hosley's returns. Kid is a great player, but man it seems he tries to do too much when returning a punt and INT lately. He nearly lost the ball after his first INT Saturday and has been mediocre in put returns, which leads me to my last rant...

Special Teams: Not looking good so far. I don't even want to comment because I will get too fired up.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
IMO, after a warning, throwing things onto the field should result in a penalty for the hometeam (granted i guess it would be hard to tell if the item thrown came from a home fan or away fan...)

Pretty sure that it can result in a penalty. Unsportsman like conduct and it always goes to the home team. <--- dont know that to be fact but im pretty sure.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Special Teams: Not looking good so far. I don't even want to comment because I will get too fired up.

Punting: Uneven and inconsistent. Don't know how how long Coach is going to hang with Demler, but I know he doesn't want to have to play Branthover before next Fall.

Field goals: 3 out of 5....by Tech standards that's substandard.

Punt returns: 11 for 132 yards. Hosley's trying too hard to make the big play...he needs to just relax and get what he can get.

Kick returns: 8 for 224 yards: 28 yard average. That's good for an NCAA ranking of 14th....could be better.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be in the minority but I think we need to take Jayron off punt returns because he is too valuable as a CB. I would hate to see him get banged up trying to gain 3 extra yards on a PR. Coale would be a safe reliable option there and wouldn't make dumb moves like running backwards 15 yards.
We need some better punting for sure. One of our FGs hit the upright so its hard to complain about that one being so close. It happens. 4-5 sounds a lot better this early in the year.