• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the young QBs

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That very well may be true. Although he is now going into year 6. Sooner or later he is going to have to prove it, no?

The 2012 class is passed the potential stage of their careers.
Agree. But its it fair to compare his situation to Wilson or Cam? He has to carry his team. They for the most part can win games by not screwing up most times.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You couldn't be more wrong. It changes all of that. It changes what he has to do to win. Completely changes it.

That you don't think it changes interceptions is mindboggling. You don't think a QB down 3 scores has to take more chances to try to win? Go look at some stats of guys when they're trailing and when they're ahead. All the information is readily available for you to become more aware about the game of football and correct yourself.

You can only be up 3 scores if your offense has scored 3 times and the other team hasn't.

Having a great defense means that the offenses plays more conservatively usually. The Broncos this year are a perfect example.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You couldn't be more wrong. It changes all of that. It changes what he has to do to win. Completely changes it.

That you don't think it changes interceptions is mindboggling. You don't think a QB down 3 scores has to take more chances to try to win? Go look at some stats of guys when they're trailing and when they're ahead. All the information is readily available for you to become more aware about the game of football and correct yourself.

Wilson is renowned for protecting the ball with or without a lead. He's had a couple of game that were exceptions of course but overall Wilson doesn't throw many picks because he's very smart with the ball, not because Sherman, Bennett , and Wagner are watching him from the bench.

Last edited:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson is renowned for protecting the ball with or without a lead. He's had a couple of game that were exceptions of course but overall Wilson doesn't throw many picks because he's very smart with the ball, not because Sherman, Bennett , and Wagner are watching him from the bench.
Totally agree with this. He is as cerebral as any QB in the league and seems to make very few mistakes...other than of course in the red zone with time running out and the SB on the line...:rolleyes2:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. But its it fair to compare his situation to Wilson or Cam? He has to carry his team. They for the most part can win games by not screwing up most times.

Sure to a degree. But there are other factors.

If the Colts played in the NFC West the past 4 years, would Luck have had the same success? He has feasted on a really bad division his entire career. Wilson has had at least one other double digit win team in his division every season he has played.

Ultimately, it is impossible to isolate all the variables that affect QB play. So all you can really do is measure their actual performance but statistically and from a wins and losses perspective.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe or Maybe not. Right now Winston is is on a better track by winning Rookie of the year. So we will find out. Im ok with taking that chance.

Winning the Rookie of the Years means nothing. The last 5 QBs to win Rookie of the Year

Robert Griffin
Cam Newton
Sam Bradford
Vince Young
Big Ben

2 washouts. One league average, at best, player. One HoFer. One very good player that could go either way.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe or Maybe not. Right now Winston is is on a better track by winning Rookie of the year. So we will find out. Im ok with taking that chance.
Rookie of the Year is a meaningless distinction. He also gets 4 games against New Orleans, arguably the worst D in the league and Atlanta, inarguably the worst pass rush in the league. Winston also has 2 fringe #1 WRs.

In Wilson's rookie year, he had more pass TDs, pass TD%, yards per attempt and played in a tougher division. Winston had more usage and more yards. Wilson had a QB rating of 100 and Winston had 84.2. Winston is being used as more of a runner around the goal line while Wilson is a better all around runner...thats surprisingly close to a push.

I do agree that the team Wilson came in was ideal. I do have Winston fairly high on my list but Wilson is a given commodity at this point and if he keeps this pace a HOF lock without any more super bowl appearances.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston won rookie of the year due to lack of competition more than anything else. They had to give it to someone.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can only be up 3 scores if your offense has scored 3 times and the other team hasn't.

That's false. Rewatch the Super Bowl for just one example of a defense scoring. Wow.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how I didn't notice this already but.

Jameis Winston won the Pepsis NFL Rookie of the Year. That award has been around for about 15 years and it is not what most people think of when they think of the OROY. That is the PFW OROY which Todd Gurley won.

Oh do you know who else won the Pepsi Rookie of the Year? Russell Wilson...

National Football League Rookie of the Year Award - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's false. Rewatch the Super Bowl for just one example of a defense scoring. Wow.

As usual, you look for exceptions to prove a rule.

How many points did the Denver Defense score this year?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree with this. He is as cerebral as any QB in the league and seems to make very few mistakes...other than of course in the red zone with time running out and the SB on the line...:rolleyes2:

That prove that sometimes it's all about timing. Wilson doesn't throw that many picks but the timing of that one in the SB couldn't have been worse. Shit happens, at least RW manned up and owned it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure to a degree. But there are other factors.

If the Colts played in the NFC West the past 4 years, would Luck have had the same success? He has feasted on a really bad division his entire career. Wilson has had at least one other double digit win team in his division every season he has played.

Ultimately, it is impossible to isolate all the variables that affect QB play. So all you can really do is measure their actual performance but statistically and from a wins and losses perspective.

Disagree. Better teams win more games. You have two young QBs with great defenses and one with a horrible defense and sans a player or two, not much better on offense

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Better teams win more games. You have two young QBs with great defenses and one with a horrible defense and sans a player or two, not much better on offense

OK. So how do you measure the quality of a particular QB? Their pre-draft pedigree? If you don't think stats or record matters, I don't understand what you are measuring.

The same Colts team that was 2-5 under Andrew Luck was 5-3 with a very much past his prime Matt Hasselbeck.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. So how do you measure the quality of a particular QB? Their pre-draft pedigree? If you don't think stats or record matters, I don't understand what you are measuring.

The same Colts team that was 2-5 under Andrew Luck was 5-3 with a very much past his prime Matt Hasselbeck.
Thats why I dont get the Luck thing. He isnt anything special. He was suppose to be but turned out not so much.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't say they don't matter. I just don't pretend they tell the whole story. You go by what your eyes tell you when you watch a player. And Bringing up pre-draft pedigree is just silly. Who would even say that?

Luck wasn't healthy and his team sucked. The record thing by QB is also playing with numbers unless you look at who they played, but by your simplistic line of thinking Tony Romo is the best QB in the league I guess...

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winston won rookie of the year due to lack of competition more than anything else. They had to give it to someone.

I don't know, 4000 yards, a 5 TD game, 22 TD's and another 6 rushing.

Record I think does matter but you are looking at a tiny sliver of a sample size there. Deberg one year had a better record in San Fran than Montana. Obviously 5 seconds of watching and you could see as the year went on they were playing much better D and running the ball better. And look at the opponents. Luck drew the best teams (Den, Car, NE, Jets), Hasselbeck drew... Mallet led Houston for his best win?

I won't take Mallett or Vick just because they had a better winning percentage than Flacco or Big Ben in a small sample size.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Viking fan I am really concerned with the development of Bridgewater. There is quite a few of these guys that I would trade him straight up for if given the opportunity.

Kid has a great attitude. But I just don't know if he has what it takes physically and to develop into a good starter. Has a real problem processing info quickly I think. He is super accurate short but anything more than 15 yards down the field is hard for him to hit. And is a big checkdown Charlie so far.

Bridgewater has potential ... Now that he has some playoff experience under his belt that could really help him going forward... time will tell ... I think next year is a big year for him as far as stepping forward ...