• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rank the Most Important Positions

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the NFL has it's importance of the position. The Center is the lowest paid position on the offensive line on average. And for the top paid ones, every other position on the offensive line has someone making more.

Also in the past 25 years, 0 centers have been taken with a top 15 pick. 7 guards have (4 in the past 7 years). 48 tackles have.

So NFL teams have said they aren't worth using a high draft pick on and they aren't worth paying big money to.

Not talking about depth here, but top 15 guys, expected to start. There's only one QB on a roster too, but the value of that position makes it taken often in the top 15, and paid well when they are playing at a high level.

You draft a center only when he's a sure thing. You don't reach on them (Usually, sorry Seattle fans). It's why nearly all the first round centers are great players (they'd better be blue chip, perfect choice, no flaws elite prospects). Look at the ones teams spent a 1st on. Frederick, Pouncey, Mack, Wood, Mangold, Faine, Woody, Hartings.

And elite skill doesn't make a great center. They aren't a guard always having to pull and lead block. Not a tackle dealing with elite edge rushers. Usually they are assigned the 2nd man on double teaming an interior guy, and picked more for smarts than talent.

So it's hard to say that there's 32 NFL GM's out there not paying Centers higher than other positions and not using top draft capital to pick them, but it's more important than the position all those scouting depts and GM's do invest in.

Wonder why people aren’t jumping all over your jock. People on here were trying to say that Centers not going in the top 14 for 42 years means nothing and has nothing to do with their importance even though it seems obvious to me... and you too.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="jerseyhawksfan79, post: 12620458, member: 4407"]Centers are way more important than a WR1. QB/LT/CB1/DE I'll give you that.

IDK about way more, especially in this era. Falcons are a pretty good case study for this.

Pre-Julio...McClure was the longtime C, very productive player. Roddy White at that time was the WR1 (he really was a WR2 in skills)...Falcons could win reg. season games but once they got to the playoffs, much like CIN, 1 and done several yrs in a row.

They splurge to get Julio in '11, '12 they get their 1st playoff win...McClure retires, they insert a draft pick played C in college, but had failed as a RG, the OL play tanked, they bring Alex Mack at C, OL play rebounded....until this yr when both OGs went down and RT was shaky.

Your WR1 doesn't need to be a star, but he needs to be a consistent player getting roughly 100-120 targets per yr in this era...if you don't have that guy, it's tough to win consistently.[/QUOTE]

I'll take an above avg WR over a stud WR1 if it means my o-line is stable. Seattle didn't have a stud WR1 when they went to b2b SB's but they did have a solid line that kept RW upright and healthy. I guess I just build a team more differently than others.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Antonio Brown and Jason Kelce were all pro last season. You telling me if you had your choice you’d take Kelce over Antonio Brown? Not even close
Your tackles keep the QB upright

Still missing the point

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still missing the point

Not missing the point at all. Every position on a team is important. But there is a hierarchy and Center is closer to the bottom then top. That’s why GMs don’t draft them high or make mega trades trying to land them.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not missing the point at all. Every position on a team is important. But there is a hierarchy and Center is closer to the bottom then top. That’s why GMs don’t draft them high or make mega trades trying to land them.

Like I said, you have your idea on how to build a team and I have mine.
Out of curiosity, when was the last time a stud WR1 won the SB?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought I was losing my mind
well being exposed to PE1 to long will do that to you.
That is why you are supposed to take breaks from him. there are plenty of people that will fill in for ya while you are on break :thumb:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well being exposed to PE1 to long will do that to you.
That is why you are supposed to take breaks from him. there are plenty of people that will fill in for ya while you are on break :thumb:

I've had good covos with him just this one debate rages on

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He sees stars and draft position that determine the importance, but doesn't see what makes the offense fully function.

What makes the offense fully function are tackles to protect your QB and a weapon to help your QB. So QB, LT, RT, WR1 is how you build your O. Draft position has absolutely EVERYTHING to do with what GMs see as important.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes the offense fully function are tackles to protect your QB and a weapon to help your QB. So QB, LT, RT, WR1 is how you build your O. Draft position has absolutely EVERYTHING to do with what GMs see as important.
so the ravens would value top 10 rb, more than say edleman

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You build up your o-line first before you go add your stud WR1. Without a solid o-line, your QB is on his back or running for his life making bad decisions and that in return your stud WR1 doesn't make many plays. QB/O-line is key too everything on offense.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take on the importance of Centers .

PE isn't going to like it.

The most important position in the NFL: A Metric Analysis
I find this most interesting, but alas it does not count.
It doesnt help PE1's arguments so it is Bull shit.

you are so stupid for using logic & validation for things you talk about.
You guys are so unbelievable.

Honestly though it mentions a lot of what I think on tackles & such, but dont have the energy to debate on this thread.