• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Play 2 In Houston Sept. 17-18

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People on here always disagree, but I think the Astros winning hurts our rebuild by keeping their window open even longer.

For instance, we might be looking at a situation where if the Astros win the World Series some guys on that team will be more inclined to stay. Lots of people assume Cole will leave after the year and get every dollar he can, but a World Series title helps the Astros keep him. An Astro extension with Cole is our worst nightmare. We need that rotation to get weaker.
I think it would be great if Houston overpaid a couple of guys and found themselves financially hamstrung in a few years.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hasn't yet their GM knows how to manage
He knew how to rebuild that is for sure. Keeping a championship team together is a whole different skill set. Seeing the need to rebuild is a different skill set as well.

Let's see how the Astros do when all of their young guys need to be paid. If they overpay for Cole it will hamper their ability to pay the other guys.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He knew how to rebuild that is for sure. Keeping a championship team together is a whole different skill set. Seeing the need to rebuild is a different skill set as well.

Let's see how the Astros do when all of their young guys need to be paid. If they overpay for Cole it will hamper their ability to pay the other guys.
you are putting a Rangers twist on the Astros GM. the Astros aren't afraid to pay to keep their team together and add quality when they need it.

the Rangers on the other hand have shown that they have no clue on which path to take. years from now we will be having the same conversation and the Astros will still be sitting on top of the west and one of the elite teams in baseball and unless the ownership/JD of Rangers suddenly grows brains we will still be a .500 team looking up at them

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are putting a Rangers twist on the Astros GM. the Astros aren't afraid to pay to keep their team together and add quality when they need it.

the Rangers on the other hand have shown that they have no clue on which path to take. years from now we will be having the same conversation and the Astros will still be sitting on top of the west and one of the elite teams in baseball and unless the ownership/JD of Rangers suddenly grows brains we will still be a .500 team looking up at them
Lol. I said "if" and "let's see." I didn't put a twist on it.

The Astros haven't been afraid to pay so far because they have so many cheap very good, young players available.

By the way, when I suggest the Rangers should do anything like the Astros have done, you complain that I want to do nothing. You can't have it both ways. What they have done requires waiting until you have several good young prospects come up and play vital roles on a championship calibur team and get paid very little. Then you can supplement with 3 or 4 high dollar guys.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. I said "if" and "let's see." I didn't put a twist on it.

The Astros haven't been afraid to pay so far because they have so many cheap very good, young players available.

By the way, when I suggest the Rangers should do anything like the Astros have done, you complain that I want to do nothing. You can't have it both ways. What they have done requires waiting until you have several good young prospects come up and play vital roles on a championship calibur team and get paid very little. Then you can supplement with 3 or 4 high dollar guys.
no I complained because your plan seemed to imply that we should do virtually nothing while we wait for young players to develop before we do anything. I may have misread what you were suggesting if so I apologize but I believe that we add while we develop. that is why I suggested we pursue Gerrit Cole now which would give us Cole, Minor, Lynn, Allard and Burke to open the 2020 season with Minor leaving at the end of the season and Lynn in 2021. I believe we bring in Rendon at 3rd now and also Grandal at C.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no I complained because your plan seemed to imply that we should do virtually nothing while we wait for young players to develop before we do anything. I may have misread what you were suggesting if so I apologize but I believe that we add while we develop. that is why I suggested we pursue Gerrit Cole now which would give us Cole, Minor, Lynn, Allard and Burke to open the 2020 season with Minor leaving at the end of the season and Lynn in 2021. I believe we bring in Rendon at 3rd now and also Grandal at C.
You can't bring in free agents too early because they don't want to be a part of the rebuilding. Remember ARod's statement after Hicks lied to him? He didn't want to play with 24 kids.

I mentioned going after Rendon before you did if I am not mistaken.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't bring in free agents too early because they don't want to be a part of the rebuilding. Remember ARod's statement after Hicks lied to him? He didn't want to play with 24 kids.

I mentioned going after Rendon before you did if I am not mistaken.
so when is the time to bring them in if not now?

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I work for a big company and I have a lot of great ideas most of which are not implemented probably for valid reasons. I have to work within the framework of upper management and designated budget restraints.

If you think JD has carte blance decision making discretion then I don’t know what to say. The owners do what is in their best interest and I think operating a profitable franchise ranks ahead of a WS run. I am hoping at some point they are compatible.

FWIW this applies also to Odor and his contract as well

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I work for a big company and I have a lot of great ideas most of which are not implemented probably for valid reasons. I have to work within the framework of upper management and designated budget restraints.

If you think JD has carte blance decision making discretion then I don’t know what to say. The owners do what is in their best interest and I think operating a profitable franchise ranks ahead of a WS run. I am hoping at some point they are compatible.

FWIW this applies also to Odor and his contract as well
That is a good theory if I am looking to make excuses for JD. I am not looking to do that because I am a Rangers fan and not a Rangers front office fan.

If I believed JD was hamstrung by ownership to that degree I would give up hope as long as this ownership is in place. Fortunately, I have the owners' history to look back on, and that shows me they do allow JD to spend when he feels it is necessary. That would no doubt include eatng a bad contract.

In other words, I am not buying that theory.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so when is the time to bring them in if not now?
When you have enough young players to be able to go toa WS with the help of 3 or 4 high dollar FA. When you see that approaching you go after one or two. When it gets really close you go after a couple of them. One advantage to waiting is that allows your window to stay open longer as those high dollar guys don't get old while you can still use them. The onslaught of young talent and high paid talent need to coincide to some degrer.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have enough young players to be able to go toa WS with the help of 3 or 4 high dollar FA. When you see that approaching you go after one or two. When it gets really close you go after a couple of them. One advantage to waiting is that allows your window to stay open longer as those high dollar guys don't get old while you can still use them. The onslaught of young talent and high paid talent need to coincide to some degrer.
When you have enough young talent to go to a WS? And then add. There's where we differ I think you start a couple of years before adding 2 or 3 FA and blending the young studs into the lineup as they become ready. Like now I've suggested signing Cole and go into next season with Cole, Minor, Lynn, Allard and Burke as your starting 5. Then you can trade Minor or wait until the end of the season and he moves on to move the next young guy into the rotation. And then in 2021 you do the same with Lynn

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a good theory if I am looking to make excuses for JD. I am not looking to do that because I am a Rangers fan and not a Rangers front office fan.

If I believed JD was hamstrung by ownership to that degree I would give up hope as long as this ownership is in place. Fortunately, I have the owners' history to look back on, and that shows me they do allow JD to spend when he feels it is necessary. That would no doubt include eatng a bad contract.

In other words, I am not buying that theory.
Ok tell me what you really think.....

Do you honestly think that JD went to the owners and said I got these 3 really great TJS rejects that fix our pitching situation. I think he was given a budget and did what he could hoping he could get lucky on one and unload for a good pitching prospect.

Did not work but no worries he got Burke and Allard. Does this fill your excuse blank sir?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok tell me what you really think.....

Do you honestly think that JD went to the owners and said I got these 3 really great TJS rejects that fix our pitching situation. I think he was given a budget and did what he could hoping he could get lucky on one and unload for a good pitching prospect.

Did not work but no worries he got Burke and Allard. Does this fill your excuse blank sir?
I think he knew there was no use spending heavily these past two seasons. I don't think he wanted to spend more and was told "no." He can figure out for himself, without ownership telling him, when to spend and when not to.

He wasn't trying to fix our pitching our than trying to patch things together until we can really compete. That is why I was sure over a year ago that we would have another Matt Moore type this year. We were not going to be good enough in 2019 to spend big on pitching.

When we are as good as we were in 2010 and 2011 again, then he will be concerned with budget constraints. Then he might have to coordinate with ownership.

I can always tell when you are upset because you call me "sir" when you are. Lol Nothing to get excited about here.

Also, the Odor problem is not as much of a budget problem as it is an ego problem. Trading him while paying most of his salary admits a huge mistake, and JD is very hesitant to do so. Between ego and stubbornness, Rougned is not going anywhere for awhile, and ego and stubbornness are two bad traits for a GM.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have enough young talent to go to a WS? And then add. There's where we differ I think you start a couple of years before adding 2 or 3 FA and blending the young studs into the lineup as they become ready. Like now I've suggested signing Cole and go into next season with Cole, Minor, Lynn, Allard and Burke as your starting 5. Then you can trade Minor or wait until the end of the season and he moves on to move the next young guy into the rotation. And then in 2021 you do the same with Lynn
I suggested adding them together.

Realize also, the young talent will not always be prime time right away like Solak has been. So, let"s say we added Taveras, Jung, Crouse, Winn and Huff in 2021. If they look like they are becoming the real deal as the season progresses you can add as much as you can, FA wise, in the next offseason. In 2021 they probably won't be ready to be major pieces of the puzzle, they need some experience and seasoning.

Before then you can add as well, say when they are collectively doing well in AAA and AA.

That is how I think would be best to build a WS team. If the goal is to build a WC team then a completely different plan would do.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he knew there was no use spending heavily these past two seasons. I don't think he wanted to spend more and was told "no." He can figure out for himself, without ownership telling him, when to spend and when not to.

He wasn't trying to fix our pitching our than trying to patch things together until we can really compete. That is why I was sure over a year ago that we would have another Matt Moore type this year. We were not going to be good enough in 2019 to spend big on pitching.

When we are as good as we were in 2010 and 2011 again, then he will be concerned with budget constraints. Then he might have to coordinate with ownership.

I can always tell when you are upset because you call me "sir" when you are. Lol Nothing to get excited about here.

Also, the Odor problem is not as much of a budget problem as it is an ego problem. Trading him while paying most of his salary admits a huge mistake, and JD is very hesitant to do so. Between ego and stubbornness, Rougned is not going anywhere for awhile, and ego and stubbornness are two bad traits for a GM.

Ha have been upset in past but not this time. Actually thought it funny your last blunt statement and use of word excuse. I just wonder if owners do not want him to unload Odor. But I get how he tantalizes with a hot streak.
Going to be interesting offseason

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3