• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers in Cleveland August 5-7

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give him an affordable 2 or 3 year extension with a no trade clause.
We have him for 1 more year. If he really wants to stay in Arlington that bad maybe he would take a team friendly contract to add on another year or two.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have him for 1 more year. If he really wants to stay in Arlington that bad maybe he would take a team friendly contract to add on another year or two.

Judging by his behavior at the deadline, I would say he wants to stay here.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the whining when compared to other players in the exact same circumstances which speaks volumes.
He has been a really good pitcher for us. Since you don’t like his comments you label him a whiner and belittle him. Sounds like a personal bias on what you project thinks is going to happen. I know you are a big Ranger fan but don’t you think this might be a tad critical? He got out a tough 7th and LeClerc gets a save. I’m good with this a lot more than Sampson outing

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been a really good pitcher for us. Since you don’t like his comments you label him a whiner and belittle him. Sounds like a personal bias on what you project thinks is going to happen. I know you are a big Ranger fan but don’t you think this might be a tad critical? He got out a tough 7th and LeClerc gets a save. I’m good with this a lot more than Sampson outing
You overlook whatever he says. When he whined as much as he did, much more than any other guy in his position than I have seen in quite some time, I am not going to overlook it. When he fails in a stressful July I am not going to overlook it.

He has pitched great for a whole lot of the season. That being said, based on his July, I would never be in favor of extending him, and especially not with those in charge that believe your contract guarantees you a starting assignment. We had that discussion back in the spring and I haven't changed my mind about that. In fact, after seeing how long they stuck with Odor this year, I am even more convinced that this front office and contract extensions can be very a very dangerous combination. Outside of July he has been fantastic.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by his behavior at the deadline, I would say he wants to stay here.
Let's see where he and we are in 15 months.and evaluate the situation then. If he wants to be another Colby on a year to year basis then that might work. I would like to see what he does between now and then first.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had this thought back at the trade deadline. Some will complain when a guy wants to leave and we say good riddance then complain because a guy actually want to stay.
Pudge wanted to stay and handled it much differently. Pudge's actions were very commendable.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give him an affordable 2 or 3 year extension with a no trade clause.
That comes extremely close to guaranteeing him a spot in the rotation through 2022 or 2023 no matter how he pitches. It would take a Prince like injury, one that ends his career, to change that.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pudge wanted to stay and handled it much differently. Pudge's actions were very commendable.
But at the same time we have had a number of players who wanted out and treated playing in Arlington with some disdain. At least he wanted to stay. I am not saying that he handled it perfectly but I am glad he wants to be here. That to me gives him some benefit of the doubt in comparison. Pudge was an extraordinary player and person. May be my favorite Ranger of all time.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That comes extremely close to guaranteeing him a spot in the rotation through 2022 or 2023 no matter how he pitches. It would take a Prince like injury, one that ends his career, to change that.
Agree in that I may not want to go 3 extra years. But I do not mind trying to extend him to a team friendly contract for a year or two. With pitching you never know but we need to stock up on pitching and just maybe he is a late bloomer and we will get the best of Minor.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You overlook whatever he says. When he whined as much as he did, much more than any other guy in his position than I have seen in quite some time, I am not going to overlook it. When he fails in a stressful July I am not going to overlook it.

What he says is irrelevant ---what he does is what matters to me

But since you bring up overlooking----You overlooked your favorites like Yu, probably my fav Ranger pitcher. If I am guessing, it bothers you more he was not at his best in July (failed is a hyperbole BTW)because it may have kept him from getting traded and you want or wanted to gut this team.

Colby was a bit older and not considered our number one so although one year contracts would be extremely team friendly and desirable it is not realistic for now

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could care less if a guy like Minor is considered weak because he is mouthy re not wanting to be traded. Perhaps he just likes it here and expressed himself. If someone is not the strong silent type he is judged often harshly

A shutout against a playoff team speaks volumes

And it doesn't quiet the July noise either......nor should it......And it's fine to 'espress one's self' without appearing to be weak b/c of it. But then again, his actions - his pitching- were quiet loud it seems........Being on the trading block is the business he's in......IMO, this CANNOT detract you from your asignment in any given game, or situation.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And it doesn't quiet the July noise either......nor should it......And it's fine to 'espress one's self' without appearing to be weak b/c of it. But then again, his actions - his pitching- were quiet loud it seems........Being on the trading block is the business he's in......IMO, this CANNOT detract you from your asignment in any given game, or situation.
Right you are partner.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We give the benefit of the doubt to whom we choose to. And certain players and FO are put under the microscope magnifying their imperfections. But the pounding criticism continues even after a shutout. Defend that if you like but I defend what I choose to as well

A guy who hits 300 still does not get a hit 7 out of ten times. He is still considered valuable

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But at the same time we have had a number of players who wanted out and treated playing in Arlington with some disdain. At least he wanted to stay. I am not saying that he handled it perfectly but I am glad he wants to be here. That to me gives him some benefit of the doubt in comparison. Pudge was an extraordinary player and person. May be my favorite Ranger of all time.
Well, he didn't want to be traded. That isn't the same as wanting to remain here after his contract is up. He very well might, but right now that is an assumption.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He has pitched great for a whole lot of the season. That being said, based on his July, I would never be in favor of extending him, and especially not with those in charge that believe your contract guarantees you a starting assignment. We had that discussion back in the spring and I haven't changed my mind about that. In fact, after seeing how long they stuck with Odor this year, I am even more convinced that this front office and contract extensions can be very a very dangerous combination. Outside of July he has been fantastic.

We’ve seen worse as fans. We’ve dealt with worse as fans.

The front office has seen worse. They’ve dealt with worse.

For example, Rougned odor has been a complete NO SHOW for 3 seasons in a row during the months of April - June during the last 3 years. The guy is at the park physically, but he contributes nothing positive to the team whatsoever. He doesn’t even come close to matching the production his contract demands in that time frame.

Do the players, the sportscasters and other media sour on him for it?

Definitely not....... if anything Dave Raymond and Emily Jones polish that turd every chance they get. The players help him with batting practice. The coaches make excuses for him. The front office completely disregards his ineptitude while they would quickly jettison other guy who perform at that subpar level.

We have seen worse and continue to deal with it, so you should just be happy that a very good pitcher wants to pitch for this team because pitchers have always treated us like we have leprosy or some shit.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What he says is irrelevant ---what he does is what matters to me

But since you bring up overlooking----You overlooked your favorites like Yu, probably my fav Ranger pitcher. If I am guessing, it bothers you more he was not at his best in July (failed is a hyperbole BTW)because it may have kept him from getting traded and you want or wanted to gut this team.

Colby was a bit older and not considered our number one so although one year contracts would be extremely team friendly and desirable it is not realistic for now
I didn't overlook Yu. He never said anything that I had to overlook.

Not trading him is JD's fault and not Minor's. I don't hold that against him at all. He didn't do poorly, in comparison, in July on purpose.

Minor would be 33 right about the time he would sign his first one year deal with us. Colby was 34, so that is virtually the same age. We don't know that Minor will be our #1 after next year. Isn't your hope that they will sign a #1 to go with him for next year. If so, then both your idea about him being younger than Colby and being the #1 is not relevant.

What he says is irrelevant to you, that doesn't mean it is not relevant. I remember when several folks thought Wash's in game management was irrelevant, but they were wrong.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We give the benefit of the doubt to whom we choose to. And certain players and FO are put under the microscope magnifying their imperfections. But the pounding criticism continues even after a shutout. Defend that if you like but I defend what I choose to as well

A guy who hits 300 still does not get a hit 7 out of ten times. He is still considered valuable
Which player has whined or said something else that is unbecoming, and someone on here overlooked it? You keep implying that, but since Bradley have we had very many guys at all who said the wrong thing. Who vocal outbursts have been overlooked???

I remember when Choo smarted off to Banny and a lot of us took him to task for it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’ve seen worse as fans. We’ve dealt with worse as fans.

The front office has seen worse. They’ve dealt with worse.

For example, Rougned odor has been a complete NO SHOW for 3 seasons in a row during the months of April - June during the last 3 years. The guy is at the park physically, but he contributes nothing positive to the team whatsoever. He doesn’t even come close to matching the production his contract demands in that time frame.

Do the players, the sportscasters and other media sour on him for it?

Definitely not....... if anything Dave Raymond and Emily Jones polish that turd every chance they get. The players help him with batting practice. The coaches make excuses for him. The front office completely disregards his ineptitude while they would quickly jettison other guy who perform at that subpar level.

We have seen worse and continue to deal with it, so you should just be happy that a very good pitcher wants to pitch for this team because pitchers have always treated us like we have leprosy or some shit.
The discussion was mainly about his whining. We have not seen anything close to that.

Again, he didn't want to be traded. That doesn't necessarily mean he wants to stay here long term. That is an assumption.

What the front office puts up with or sees or what our broadcasters witness is not really germane to this conversation. It might make for a very good discussion, but I think you are adding something here that is out of place in this particular conversation.

Actually, I don't believe we have gone after a pitcher who has treated us badly lately at all. I think the last one we went after was Ohtani and I don't remember him treating us poorly. He simply went somewhere else. I think Cliff Lee actually considered coming back here, but loved it in Philly. I know Yu and Derek would have come back in a heart beat.

I did agree that he has pitched fantastic this year outside of those few starts before the deadline. That doesn't mean I want to extend him though. I have felt bad about extending players since before the season started.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back I February I wrote the following and I still feel this way.

"Once they get wise enough to move on from mistakes and once they commit enough money to withstand some mistakes then things can be different. For now I don't trust them to sign guys to contract extensions."