• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers hosting and then traveling to play the LA Dodgers

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's next year....so much happens between now and then. Excess starting pitching is a problem all teams would love to have.
If that is next year then why say Gallardo resigns here. If you are going to address Gallardo being here next year why couldn't you address who the other 4 starters are and how you would dispose of the excess starters. You also might want to address how much you think it is going to take to sign him and if there is enough money budgeted to make that kind of a signing.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team wants excess starters when they are short in other areas. When that is the case they usually look to trade excess for what they lack. The key is to be able to ascertain whether you have excess or not. That is why they pay JD the big bucks and that is why forums like this one is provided for us to speculate about it.
Disagree...excess pitching is a great problem and can get you most anything you desire.

we know nothing for sure about any of these guys next season...however, I'm becoming a quick believer in what I've seen from Chi Chi.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree...excess pitching is a great problem and can get you most anything you desire.

we know nothing for sure about any of these guys next season...however, I'm becoming a quick believer in what I've seen from Chi Chi.

As winding says, you need at least 10 starting pitchers who can step in to start the season. So far, we're testing that, and I'd say it's pretty damn close to being true. The pitcher health we had in 2011 was unbelievable and certainly not to be counted on going forward.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is next year then why say Gallardo resigns here. If you are going to address Gallardo being here next year why couldn't you address who the other 4 starters are and how you would dispose of the excess starters. You also might want to address how much you think it is going to take to sign him and if there is enough money budgeted to make that kind of a signing.

Basically cause four of these guys are coming off major injury with extended rehab and many many factors. I think with that and Colby's age/mileage, nothing could be assured for next year. I'm not sure 6 to 7 of these guys would be excess. Darvish misses 6 to 8 weeks I think but based on what I've seen THUS FAR. I'd pull for Chi Chi, Perez, Holland, Gallardo with Colby or Martinez holding down the 5th spot for Darvish.

Me? I don't see Wandy lasting this season much less next year and I think Harrison is the least likely to regain what he once was

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No team wants excess starters when they are short in other areas. When that is the case they usually look to trade excess for what they lack. The key is to be able to ascertain whether you have excess or not. That is why they pay JD the big bucks and that is why forums like this one is provided for us to speculate about it.

Well said. It's one thing to have excess pitching talent if it's young and raw. That's what juggling from AA to AAA to Arlington is all about.

But we've got numerous guys who are established, have earned their stripes and aren't going to the minors in the name of "loyalty" or anything else for that matter.

Barring unforeseen circumstances (insert injuries here): Martinez/Holland/Perez/Gonzalez will be starters here next season. Now what happens with Harrison and Lewis is up in the air a little. Darvish is coming back at some point next season too.

We should have good options on how we construct our staff next season (even in the 2nd half this season really). Frankly and hopefully, can be a very nice position to be in.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is a good problem to a certain point and then when you are making out a 25 man roster you have to limit that to 5. You are right that the excess can get you anything you desire, but there are times when it becomes opportune to make that transition from excess to acquiring things you desire. The trade deadline is one of those times and then in the offseason especially around Winter Meetings time is another opportune time. It would be difficult to wait until ST is over and then try to deal the excess. Waiting to find out if everyone is going to stay healthy until April 1, 2016 before trading anyone is not really a workable solution. At some point the front office is going to have to decide who they are going with and seek ways to acquire those desirable things you mentioned.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were some next years back in the 90s and back in 2009 that turned out just fine. Right now next year and the years after look just fine.

So are you saying you are good with trading away pieces that help us be competitive now for next year because there was a whole lot of next years in between those few years you mentioned that amounted to nothing. And next year we are guaranteed of nothing again. I want us always to be playing to win now. I never ever want to have that lousy next year mindset we had for so many years. It was not enjoyable at all. And I am not advocating we trade any pieces away to build ourselves up for a run. I just do not want to start trading away because we have decided that next year is the year.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said. It's one thing to have excess pitching talent if it's young and raw. That's what juggling from AA to AAA to Arlington is all about.

But we've got numerous guys who are established, have earned their stripes and aren't going to the minors in the name of "loyalty" or anything else for that matter.

Barring unforeseen circumstances (insert injuries here): Martinez/Holland/Perez/Gonzalez will be starters here next season. Now what happens with Harrison and Lewis is up in the air a little. Darvish is coming back at some point next season too.

We should have good options on how we construct our staff next season (even in the 2nd half this season really). Frankly and hopefully, can be a very nice position to be in.
I just cannot pencil Holland and Perez in until I actually see them doing well out on the mound. I thought for sure Holland would be back this year. After what has happened to us the last couple years with our pitching I am a little gun shy. Once we see these guys actually producing then we have some trade chips. Plus we will have some leverage.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are you saying you are good with trading away pieces that help us be competitive now for next year because there was a whole lot of next years in between those few years you mentioned that amounted to nothing. And next year we are guaranteed of nothing again. I want us always to be playing to win now. I never ever want to have that lousy next year mindset we had for so many years. It was not enjoyable at all. And I am not advocating we trade any pieces away to build ourselves up for a run. I just do not want to start trading away because we have decided that next year is the year.
I told him that because he was acting as if the current year is all that ever matters. The win this year at all cost mentality has ruined a lot of teams. I mentioned that there have been times in this organization's history that you could honestly look forward to the future with real hope and not just wishful thinking. Right now is definitely one of those times. I felt that way back at the end of the last decade as well especially after the Teixeira trade and a few other trades at that time.

I was saying we should trade away guys a few weeks ago. I realize now that is currently out of the question.

Now, like I mentioned earlier today, as a franchise we would probably be better off if the team fell out of contention during the next few weeks and was again in the position of trading away players. I certainly can't bring myself to hope for that though.

Sure we aren't guaranteed anything next year, but that doesn't mean we should stop planning to be good then. We also aren't guaranteed to be any good this August and September. Me personally, I have more hope for next April and May than I do for this August and September, but that is just me. I actually think 2017 will be our year to shine with a chance to make 2016 something special as well.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to remember for those who want Gallardo back next year. Even if we fall out of contention and trade him we could still sign him in the offseason if the front office deemed him to be someone they had to have in 2016.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
andddddddddddd.... loss.

So no Moreland or Fielder, but Gallo is hitting third and Odor is in the lineup? :wtf:

I guess Banny figured we're fucked against Kershaw anyways so we might as well give the big guns a day off.

Last edited:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told him that because he was acting as if the current year is all that ever matters. The win this year at all cost mentality has ruined a lot of teams.
those are your words Sir...certainly not mine. I just think you play for the moment when you're in contention and not trade away pieces for future seasons. AS a long time ranger fan, you should know that those next years have a habit of not panning out

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
those are your words Sir...certainly not mine. I just think you play for the moment when you're in contention and not trade away pieces for future seasons. AS a long time ranger fan, you should know that those next years have a habit of not panning out

I'd tend to agree, but if you look at this team it's hard to consider them true contenders if you evaluate them objectively. They're on a nice little run that is extremely pleasantly surprising, but they're not one or even two pieces away from being legitimate World Series contenders.

Last edited:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd tend to agree, but if you look at this team it's hard to consider them true contenders if you evaluate them objectively. They're on a nice little run that is extremely pleasantly surprising, but they're one or even two pieces away from being legitimate World Series contenders.
I subscribe to the get in and see where that takes you kinda mindset. No way this team is complete with our pen, but I wouldn't roll over to any team in the west. It's cool watching almost every young guy come up and produce to their defined role or beyond. The Rangers have a great clubhouse environment and you just very know when a team plays together as this one has.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd tend to agree, but if you look at this team it's hard to consider them true contenders if you evaluate them objectively. They're on a nice little run that is extremely pleasantly surprising, but they're one or even two pieces away from being legitimate World Series contenders.

I understand what you are saying and it may be true but until we are not contenders we are. So I think in my case anyway I do not want to talk about next year already and think about who we can trade now while we are still in this thing. That was a mindset of a management team(s) that produced loser after loser. Glad we have a management team that thinks differently now.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
andddddddddddd.... loss.

Are we tucking our tails for this game? Moreland can hang in there against LHers. Do not mind giving one of them the night off but both? Is Popovich coaching tonight?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man another late game and forgot our pitcher will be hitting. I guess one good thing is this is old hat for Wandy.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I subscribe to the get in and see where that takes you kinda mindset. No way this team is complete with our pen, but I wouldn't roll over to any team in the west. It's cool watching almost every young guy come up and produce to their defined role or beyond. The Rangers have a great clubhouse environment and you just very know when a team plays together as this one has.

I'm just enjoying the ride right now. It's fun watching these youngsters we've talked so much about turn into legit big leaguers right in front of our eyes. I'm all for improving the pen as long as we're not giving up any big guns, and I'm okay with not trading starting pitching like Gallardo and Wandy in the hopes that Perez/Holland/Harrison will step right in without missing a beat, or just trading them for the sake of acquiring a prospect or two. I'm very much in favor of trying to dump Choo on a contending team.