• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers hosting and then traveling to play the LA Dodgers

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a lot more experience there than Hanser does so he probably does thing Joey is the better defender.

I would venture that Alberto in fewer games is a better defender at 3B than Gallo is, that actually wouldn't be saying much

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not real heart warming to here but we overcome the odds many times this season: "The Rangers are 2-2 against lefty starters in June, batted .157 against the starters in those games and scored just three runs while the opposing starter was on the mound."

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could not have played better baseball in the bottom of the 6th inning last night. First 2 hitters did not chase bad pitches and walked, 2 hits that each drove in a run, a sacrifice to move runners to 2nd and 3rd and a hit to drive them in. Really made the most out of 3 singles.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RR allowed 21 baserunners in 13 innings and still shut out New Orleans. And even though he is not doing very well for Hickory but you just have to love the name of Rock Shoulders. :)

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So according to TAG if you throw a pitch 10 feet wide of the plate and swing and miss it then it was a tough pitch. That was a ball the minute it left Frias hand.

I made a similar observation yesterday in regards to "fouling off a tough pitch" enough though the pitch wasn't anywhere near the zone.

He makes both of those statements almost every game.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made a similar observation yesterday in regards to "fouling off a tough pitch" enough though the pitch wasn't anywhere near the zone.

He makes both of those statements almost every game.

To be fair, just because the pitch is well in the strike zone doesn't mean it was an easy pitch to hit. If you're in an 0-2 or 1-2 count then you are in protection mode. You've got no idea what is coming so you are trying to eliminate pitches and look for one or two you can handle. Anything else, you're just looking to fight off regardless of where it is in the zone. Now, I agree TAG does this all the time and it drives me nuts when a pitcher grooves a fastball or hangs a pitch in a 2-2 count or 3-2 count and he comments what a good job he did fighting off that pitch. No TAG, he flat out missed it.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be really surprised if there is a game tonight. It has been raining off and on for the past hour and last I looked this morning we should have rain through tomorrow night.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, just because the pitch is well in the strike zone doesn't mean it was an easy pitch to hit. If you're in an 0-2 or 1-2 count then you are in protection mode. You've got no idea what is coming so you are trying to eliminate pitches and look for one or two you can handle. Anything else, you're just looking to fight off regardless of where it is in the zone. Now, I agree TAG does this all the time and it drives me nuts when a pitcher grooves a fastball or hangs a pitch in a 2-2 count or 3-2 count and he comments what a good job he did fighting off that pitch. No TAG, he flat out missed it.

I'm not talking about pitches in the zone. If I were, I'd agreed with TAG.

But he constantly says, "boy he fought off a tough pitch" when all our hitter had to do was take it b/c it was well outside the zone. It seems like he says this almost every game.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking about pitches in the zone. If I were, I'd agreed with TAG.

But he constantly says, "boy he fought off a tough pitch" when all our hitter had to do was take it b/c it was well outside the zone. It seems like he says this almost every game.
I have even heard him state it was a tough pitch to lay off of and it bounced in front of the plate.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct on what you are stating. I was looking at those that a batter should obviously lay off of.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have never guessed I'd ever say this, but DeShields being out really has me more concerned than Beltre. And I know we miss AB.

My biggest concern is he's a backup CF and we really need one.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his report this morning Jamey Newberg wonders what it would take to land Tyler Clippard.

After Billy Beane traded four years of Josh Donaldson for Brett Lawrie, Kendall Graveman, Sean Nolin, and Franklin Barreto, I’m not sure any of us can really spitball what it would take to get Clippard — whom Beane acquired in January for Yunel Escobar — but would Alec Asher or Jerad Eickhoff or Andrew Faulkner plus a reliever off the Rangers’ 40-man roster (Jon Edwards, Phil Klein, Roman Mendez, Spencer Patton) get it done, even this early? Is that too much? (Paring the 40 down — or at least trying to avoid adding to it — will be important as guys like Matt Harrison, Martin Perez, Derek Holland, and Ryan Rua get closer to coming off the 60-day disabled list.)

I can see Beane asking for Keone Kela or Luke Jackson or Jake Thompson, and of course the answer is no, but what about Will Lamb or Tomas Telis or Hanser Alberto or Michael De Leon? Tougher calls, but ultimately I’d hope it wouldn’t take one of them as part of a deal.

Where are Beane’s thoughts on Michael Choice?

I’m only half-joking when I wonder aloud whether Craig Gentry, buried in AAA (and not hitting there, either) with the A’s, might make sense to move back to Texas, which is now in need of a second center fielder.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have never guessed I'd ever say this, but DeShields being out really has me more concerned than Beltre. And I know we miss AB.

My biggest concern is he's a backup CF and we really need one.

Hopefully Martin can keep up the good play he's had of late

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his report this morning Jamey Newberg wonders what it would take to land Tyler Clippard.

After Billy Beane traded four years of Josh Donaldson for Brett Lawrie, Kendall Graveman, Sean Nolin, and Franklin Barreto, I’m not sure any of us can really spitball what it would take to get Clippard — whom Beane acquired in January for Yunel Escobar — but would Alec Asher or Jerad Eickhoff or Andrew Faulkner plus a reliever off the Rangers’ 40-man roster (Jon Edwards, Phil Klein, Roman Mendez, Spencer Patton) get it done, even this early? Is that too much? (Paring the 40 down — or at least trying to avoid adding to it — will be important as guys like Matt Harrison, Martin Perez, Derek Holland, and Ryan Rua get closer to coming off the 60-day disabled list.)

I can see Beane asking for Keone Kela or Luke Jackson or Jake Thompson, and of course the answer is no, but what about Will Lamb or Tomas Telis or Hanser Alberto or Michael De Leon? Tougher calls, but ultimately I’d hope it wouldn’t take one of them as part of a deal.

Where are Beane’s thoughts on Michael Choice?

I’m only half-joking when I wonder aloud whether Craig Gentry, buried in AAA (and not hitting there, either) with the A’s, might make sense to move back to Texas, which is now in need of a second center fielder.

At some point we're going to have to look at the 40 man roster and make some fairly tough choices. So any move where we could move 2 off and bring one back (the right one of course) would be a good thing across the board.

Is the suggestion to try and trade Choice back to Oakland for Gentry?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Martin can keep up the good play he's had of late

I hear ya. And I'm much encouraged by his play.

But it's somewhat scary to think the "what if" if he were to get hurt, even for a short period of time with our team configured the way it is now.

Guess we'll keep our fingers crossed.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope this KC voting joke continues, and the NL beats the unholy hell outta the AL at the AS game.

Maybe this will wake up the powers to be at the corporate level of baseball and get the game back to being an exhibition and nothing more.

This is all so ridiculous to me.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. And I'm much encouraged by his play.

But it's somewhat scary to think the "what if" if he were to get hurt, even for a short period of time with our team configured the way it is now.

Guess we'll keep our fingers crossed.
It does make you wonder why they didn't bring up someone who could play CF like Nick Williams. I also wonder if at some point they consider getting some of our young MIF some work in CF to give the team some flexibility. Maybe something to consider for Winter ball.