• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Host The Twins August 31-Sept. 2

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In discussing Richelson Pena I failed to notice that he has pitched in AAA this year. He has started 7 games in Round Rock and has pitched in relief down the stretch. In his 7 starts for Round Rock he did well in 5 of them and struggled in 2 of them.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Craig Gentry was DFAed.

Jake Thompson was too, again.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gearrin to A’s is Rangers’ 6th deal since July. How does Daniels feel about prospects?

Add in the $500,000 or so they paid Gearrin the past two months, and the Rangers acquired three prospects for less than $5 million. That’s the way business is done these days.

Including four other July trades, the Rangers have added 10 minor leaguers to the farm system the past seven weeks. Eight of them are pitchers.

General manager Jon Daniels remains happy with the work that was done.

“There was an emphasis on the pitching side,” Daniels said. “We’re trying to both acquire guys with upside and also raise the floor of the system. I think when you look at the number of intriguing, projectable arms that we’ve added to the system, and then some of the other programs on the development side that we’re putting in place, I think it bodes really well for our future.”

Taylor Hearn, acquired in the Keone Kela trade and sent to Double-A Frisco, is the prize of the group and suddenly finds himself in a small group of prospects who could make his MLB debut next season.

The two pitchers acquired from the A’s, righties Abdiel Mendoza and Teodoro Ortega, aren’t close to the majors. Mendoza turns 20 on Sept. 19 after pitching for the A’s short-season A team, and Ortega, 18, made his professional debut in the Dominican Summer League.

None of the pitchers acquired the past two months will be September call-ups. Connor Sadzeck, who replaced Gearrin, was going to be part of the group that Daniels expects to start arriving Tuesday after the minor-league seasons end.

But the two added Friday fit the mold the Rangers were looking for during the trading periods.

“They’re quite a few years away, but they’re really interesting,” Daniels said. “We’ve had pretty good reports from some of our better scouts. Looking back at the deal with San Francisco, for us to get a month and a half of quality performance out of Cory and now add three young starter arms to our system, it’s pretty appealing.”

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they would consider Hearn because he hasn't exactly set it on fire in AA. Pena and Benjamin have both done better at that level. Sampson and Rowley would probably he considered.

Butler's days of starting may be over.

I put Hutchinson in the same boat as Moore. It is the "let's cut bait" boat.

Volquez and Chi Chi are possibilities.

I am not certain that Fister is gone.

Minor
Jurado
Mendez
Sampson
Rowley
Volquez
Chi Chi?
Fister?
Gallardo?
Colon?
Pena?
Benjamin?

One free agent who should be considered a strong possibility is our ole buddy Derek Holland. After all, my postscript was right. I just used it a year too early. Derek loves the area and he looks to have finally made the transition from trying to be the pitcher he used to be to being the pitcher he can be. When we get back into contention Derek could be our new Colby Lewis.

Maybe just like Cole, Dutch projects better in NL than AL. Ha. Bring back the postscript. Butler is a guy I have been totally unimpressed with but he can be stashed in AAA as a 3rd starter to hone his craft. (I am being generous)

Re Hearn. Yes a flyer pick for next year but he has multiple pitches that IMO is ahead of Hernandez as a starter. He is not killing it like Palumbo but he has to be added to the roster. Going to have to have someone learn to pitch next year at MLB level not quite ready. Not sure it is him but likely someone unless we move rostered guys in offseason IMO

Last edited:

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It used to be AA was where the younger more talented players develop and as a whole I still think it is. Rangers and other teams have signed older nonroster players to AAA but ideally you don’t need to do that and develop your own pitchers. Hope I fb this is the case this year.

If so then you may have a pool from AA and AAA to jump to the majors.

I know other issues like being blocked keep players down like Calhoun but that is my thought process as we need to add SP to the rotation from either AA or AAA

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since July 1st we have added thru trades:

Jason Bahr RHP
Tyler Thomas LHP
Chris Rowley RHP
Wei-Chieh Huang RHP
Taylor Hearn RHP
Eddie Butler RHP
Rollie Lacy RHP
Kelvin Gonzalez RHP
Joshua Javier LHP
Abdiel Mendoza RHP
Teodoro Ortega RHP
Alexander Ovalies OF
Sherten Apostel 3B

that's 1 pitchers and 2 position. nice haul

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a Dad to a special needs kid, this is a feel good inspiring story. Hope Odor smashes one for him tonight

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a Dad to a special needs kid, this is a feel good inspiring story. Hope Odor smashes one for him tonight
Just fell in love with this kid. That my friends is a trooper. Best to you son. And yes Roogie, hit one out.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Lucas had this to say about Hearn:

In his five starts with the Rangers, Taylor Hearn was hittable (.284/.342/.480) but struck out 30% of his opponents. He's a no-doubt 40 addition, and then the Rangers will decide whether to keep him in AA a little longer or push him to AAA. I suppose with a strong showing in March he could engender speculation that he'll make the big-league club (especially given the state of the rotation), but that feels premature to me.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It used to be AA was where the younger more talented players develop and as a whole I still think it is. Rangers and other teams have signed older nonroster players to AAA but ideally you don’t need to do that and develop your own pitchers. Hope I fb this is the case this year.

If so then you may have a pool from AA and AAA to jump to the majors.

I know other issues like being blocked keep players down like Calhoun but that is my thought process as we need to add SP to the rotation from either AA or AAA

I was trying to think of the last time we called a starting pitcher up who was successful for more than few games when called up in order to see which level they came from. It is hard to think of any since Holland and Feliz. They both came from AAA.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re Hearn/other pitching prospects Just hate to give away roster spots to washed up old retread vets. Let the young guys play next year

Mazara heating up

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was trying to think of the last time we called a starting pitcher up who was successful for more than few games when called up in order to see which level they came from. It is hard to think of any since Holland and Feliz. They both came from AAA.

Maybe not us as we do not have a great track record of developing pitchers but not too long ago it seems like it was more prevalent across the league. Yes we could probably talk relievers more thrown SP

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wondering if that is the last HR for Beltre in a Ranger uniform.

We love you Beltre. SportsSad

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's likelier that Gallardo comes back than Colon. By that I mean, there's a chance Gallardo comes back. No chance Colon does.