• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Host The Cardinals May 17-19

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also have an obligation to the integrity of the game to play our best players. We have no obligation to give away a player for nothing.

A guy like Cabrera is probably a guy taking more ABs from Santana than Choo. Perhaps he is the one who needs to be moved.

How would you know they have ignored reasonable offers to Choo?
I hope they do move him but I am not going to stand in judgement without knowing facts. Just sounds very harsh
I can assume just as much as you can.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally don't get where you guys are coming from or the mess?

Love Calhoun but perhaps he was in the minors to work on some things. To be brought up for Elvis just shows the club thought he was ready
You are ignoring the big picture just to assume management is making right decisions. We feel no obligation to give management excuses.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We also have an obligation to the integrity of the game to play our best players. We have no obligation to give away a player for nothing.

A guy like Cabrera is probably a guy taking more ABs from Santana than Choo. Perhaps he is the one who needs to be moved.

How would you know they have ignored reasonable offers to Choo?
I hope they do move him but I am not going to stand in judgement without knowing facts. Just sounds very harsh
Integrity of the game!?!?

We have an obligation to the integrity of attempting to build a championship.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are ignoring the big picture just to assume management is making right decisions. We feel no obligation to give management excuses.

Give specifics if you care to accuse. Point is you opine without facts and point fingers. Not sure it is worth discussing with you though. Too bad.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give specifics if you care to accuse. Point is you opine without facts and point fingers. Not sure it is worth discussing with you though. Too bad.
You sometimes seem surprised that we view things differently. I am merely pointing out why we view them differently. You view management as right until proven wrong and then discount anything someone wants to offer as unverifiable. There is nothing you will accept as proof. You appear to feel that to be a fan of the team you have to be a big fan of the front office.

I don't agree on those basic outlooks. Therefore, we are going to disagree on a lot of things about the team and especially personnel decisions.

It is what it is. That is the way you feel you need to be as a fan and I am what I feel I need to be as a fan.

We are therefore, going to have disagreements. No big deal.

I can say you have no facts while you agree with management the same way you can say I have no facts for my opinions. They are all opinions.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re. Earlier post...DDJ has superior routes than Santana but he held present team down as a hole in the lineup. So in essence we gave up on his development for the present to go with Santana who has no real future in CF or am I wrong about this. Will be interesting if they even offer him a contract next year.

I don’t get why a lot of ranger fans are down on Santana and forsythe. Is it because they’re not a part of the young core? Is it because they weren’t part of the long term “plan”? Is it because they are an existential threat to odor staying at the big league level?

You can look at almost any offensive stat and forsythe / Santana are playing circles around Odor. I’ve had people say “we’re rebuilding..... let Odor play every game and who cares how bad he does”

I don’t think Santana is going anywhere because of his versatility and the rangers would have cheap team control of him until 2022 I think. Forsythe came over with woodward, our new manager brought him here. If forsythe is making Woodward’s transition easier, then I’m all for him staying.

Teams have to be adaptable. The way some people talk, we wouldn’t finish rebuilding until 2026 or later. I’d like to finish earlier than that if possible.

Last edited:

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sometimes seem surprised that we view things differently. I am merely pointing out why we view them differently. You view management as right until proven wrong and then discount anything someone wants to offer as unverifiable. There is nothing you will accept as proof. You appear to feel that to be a fan of the team you have to be a big fan of the front office.

I don't agree on those basic outlooks. Therefore, we are going to disagree on a lot of things about the team and especially personnel decisions.

It is what it is. That is the way you feel you need to be as a fan and I am what I feel I need to be as a fan.

We are therefore, going to have disagreements. No big deal.

I can say you have no facts while you agree with management the same way you can say I have no facts for my opinions. They are all opinions.

You have not presented one trade offer for Choo that has been turned down yet state management has failed. Maybe they have or maybe they have not but I have not seen any reasonable evidence one way or another. I would not be so sure you have me pegged

FYI Choo has not regressed as thought.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that Woodward has been good at selecting the PH for the right situations.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re. Earlier post...DDJ has superior routes than Santana but he held present team down as a hole in the lineup. So in essence we gave up on his development for the present to go with Santana who has no real future in CF or am I wrong about this. Will be interesting if they even offer him a contract next year.

Give that man a cookie.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In think the going conversation here has been what happens when Elvis gets back. Santana has no options. Would he be a better fit for the line up given DD can’t hit a mid 90s fastball. Do we take a risk in defense with Santana in CF or try to trade him? Or find a new zip code for DD.

If we find a new zip code for DD and make Gallo everyday CF and use Santana to give infielders a days rest is another option.

Edit: whoops DD is does have a new zip code. My apologies

Yes he got sent to the Minors a few days ago because of the old bugaboo of his, he's not hitting. If he could just have a .265/.365/.400 or better slash line (which would make him an "average" MLB hitter) he would be one of your everyday OFers. Remember what I said about him a few years back " He has the tools to be a MLB OFer but I just don't think it will be with the Rangers"...

Maybe this time in the Minors will help fix his approach at the plate since the organization as a whole has adopted a new hitting philosophy that seems to be working very well for some players. Or maybe he needs to go see the guy Pence spent so much time with to try and fix his swing?? Or maybe he needs one of those "head gurus" to get his mind in the right place? Or maybe he just needs an new organizational zipcode? Who really knows for sure??

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that Woodward has been good at selecting the PH for the right situations.

That one was a no brainer cause Guzman hasn't really learned to hit LHed pitching effectively yet, Santana was the better option in that situation.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeShields is in the minors because, for the most part, he has proven to be a very poor MLB hitter, and therefore it does not look like he will be a significant part of any future championship.

True, and very possible I don't think he will either but that still remains to be seen the 3 kids in the Minors all might turn out to be duds.

It is way too early to know who will be a part of any mindset that our future championship contending teams will need.

A positive one a family type mindset, you won't win with a bunch of overpaid bickering prima donna's.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he got sent to the Minors a few days ago because of the old bugaboo of his, he's not hitting. If he could just have a .265/.365/.400 or better slash line (which would make him an "average" MLB hitter) he would be one of your everyday OFers. Remember what I said about him a few years back " He has the tools to be a MLB OFer but I just don't think it will be with the Rangers"...

Maybe this time in the Minors will help fix his approach at the plate since the organization as a whole has adopted a new hitting philosophy that seems to be working very well for some players. Or maybe he needs to go see the guy Pence spent so much time with to try and fix his swing?? Or maybe he needs one of those "head gurus" to get his mind in the right place? Or maybe he just needs an new organizational zipcode? Who really knows for sure??

He has never had the arm strength to be in CF.

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has never had the arm strength to be in CF.

Strong arm doesn't exactly mean accurate arm!!

You don't need one if you have proper placement, proper communication with teammates, proper routes to catch/field the ball in the proper throwing position, make accurate throws and can hit the cutoff man. Outfielding 101

Don't know how many runs I've seen scored in the last few years cause guys can't make accurate throws to the bases, to the cutoff or to the plate. :gaah:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That one was a no brainer cause Guzman hasn't really learned to hit LHed pitching effectively yet, Santana was the better option in that situation.

Santana is pretty dogshit against LHPs too, actually worse than Guzman, just glad it worked out

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strong arm doesn't exactly mean accurate arm!!

You don't need one if you have proper placement, proper communication with teammates, proper routes to catch/field the ball in the proper throwing position, make accurate throws and can hit the cutoff man. Outfielding 101

Don't know how many runs I've seen scored in the last few years cause guys can't make accurate throws to the bases, to the cutoff or to the plate. :gaah:

Yeah DDJ didn't have a very accurate arm either, probably because he was always trying to overcompensate for his lack of arm strength, though covering ground in CF is, to me, their primary job, not sure why people get so hung up on arm strength in CF, its nice and all but its a secondary concern

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have not presented one trade offer for Choo that has been turned down yet state management has failed. Maybe they have or maybe they have not but I have not seen any reasonable evidence one way or another. I would not be so sure you have me pegged

FYI Choo has not regressed as thought.
You know good and well that trade offers that are turned down are not available for the public for the most part. That right there is what I am talking about. You require proof that is impossible to obtain. Yet, you require no proof that management is doing the right thing. You simply trust them.

The proof is in the pudding. The pudding says Choo is still here and in the way of finding out about guys.

There is proof that Choo's name has showed up in trade rumors for quite some time now and yet management never gets a deal done. You, by faith, feel they haven't gotten a deal done because they simply haven't had the chance, through no fault if their own. I don't have that kind of faith.

FYI His quality of play should make it easier than ever to deal him.

I wonder if management simply doesn't have the guts to go all in on the rebuilding process. They seem to favor some hybrid middle of the road approach. They just can't go with the plan cometely.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah DDJ didn't have a very accurate arm either, probably because he was always trying to overcompensate for his lack of arm strength, though covering ground in CF is, to me, their primary job, not sure why people get so hung up on arm strength in CF, its nice and all but its a secondary concern
Lot of guys would take 2nd because of weak arm strength that would not against Gallo or any other strong fielder. May be secondary but highly important.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t get why a lot of ranger fans are down on Santana and forsythe. Is it because they’re not a part of the young core? Is it because they weren’t part of the long term “plan”? Is it because they are an existential threat to odor staying at the big league level?

You can look at almost any offensive stat and forsythe / Santana are playing circles around Odor. I’ve had people say “we’re rebuilding..... let Odor play every game and who cares how bad he does”

I don’t think Santana is going anywhere because of his versatility and the rangers would have cheap team control of him until 2022 I think. Forsythe came over with woodward, our new manager brought him here. If forsythe is making Woodward’s transition easier, then I’m all for him staying.

Teams have to be adaptable. The way some people talk, we wouldn’t finish rebuilding until 2026 or later. I’d like to finish earlier than that if possible.
I don't think they are down as much as they are tired of you going on and on about Odor. If Odor does something well it is because it was against lousy pitching. I like both of those guys but Forsythe is 32 years old. I like what he has done so far but not sure if he helps us down the road. Santana has for some reason never be an everyday player for any team except his 1st year. So that is not just a Ranger thing. To be honest I hope all 3 play great!