• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers Claim Rios, but still have to work out deal.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahn is doing the smart thing imo. he is making the asking price super high. if it doesn't work out they pay the 4 million this yr and try to trade him in the offseason.

Good luck with that

I'm actually glad we probably won't deal for him, I'd like to see what some of our young guys have to offer, if only only we could convince Wash to get Murphy off of the field

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck with that

I'm actually glad we probably won't deal for him, I'd like to see what some of our young guys have to offer, if only only we could convince Wash to get Murphy off of the field

couldn't we accomplish both and still add a Rios?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The only "sense" that can be made if we agree to terms on Rios is that Murphy is gone as part of the deal. Unless JD is looking at a platoon of Murph and Rios and sends Butler or E. Beltre back to AAA RR.

But you don't pay an everyday player "price" for someone you are going to platoon. Rios has played in 109 games this year, which tells me his price tag is for everyday player and not a platoon player. If JD retains Murph (again love the guy) it is as you say. We will see less of Martin, much less of Gentry and E. Beltre and Butler should just go back because Wash is going to play Murph.

I agree and disagree w/different parts of your post.

Rios is an everyday player who plays the position Murphy plays every day. You are right you don't pay the price tag for an everyday player whose line for the year ...

against RHP is .267 .316 .408 .724 and
against LHP is .315 .371 .472 .843

and platoon him with a guy whose line for the year ...
against RHP is .228 .291 .422 .713
against LHP is .214 .264 .276 .540

With Rios on the roster playing LF ... every day ... there is no everyday position on the roster for Murphy. Alternatively Installing Murphy as the everyday DH is ironic, ludicrous and crazy.

There is no way that acquiring Rios will affect Gentry or Martin PT ... Butler will be optioned back to AAA. TEX OF will be Rios-Gentry-Martin plus Beltre. The extra roster spot will be used for Leury Garcia in order for him to serve as UIF... absent a full time DH on the roster.

Murphy will either be part of the Rios deal with CHW ... or DFA'd. The way you get Murphy off of Wash's "play list" ... is to remove him from the roster.

IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahn is doing the smart thing imo. he is making the asking price super high. if it doesn't work out they pay the 4 million this yr and try to trade him in the offseason.

I think the smart thing is to trade him because the sox aren't competeing

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rios is an everyday player who plays the position Murphy plays every day. You are right you don't pay the price tag for an everyday player whose line for the year ...

With Rios on the roster playing LF ... every day ... there is no everyday position on the roster for Murphy. Alternatively Installing Murphy as the everyday DH is ironic, ludicrous and crazy.

There is no way that acquiring Rios will affect Gentry or Martin PT ... Butler will be optioned back to AAA. TEX OF will be Rios-Gentry-Martin plus Beltre. The extra roster spot will be used for Leury Garcia in order for him to serve as UIF... absent a full time DH on the roster.

Murphy will either be part of the Rios deal with CHW ... or DFA'd.

IMO.

Well said

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Choo would be good for this offense and he's a FA and could take over for Murphy in LF

no argument I hope they make a major effort to get him but they still will need a big bat to fill the hole in right. I don't want cruz back

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Murphy will either be part of the Rios deal with CHW ... or DFA'd. The way you get Murphy off of Wash's "play list" ... is to remove him from the roster.

IMO.
I agree with this post, but the last sentence is where I scream in agreement. You have to Wash proof the lineup. It's sad, but still a very dark reality.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no argument I hope they make a major effort to get him but they still will need a big bat to fill the hole in right. I don't want cruz back

I think an OF of Choo, Beltre/Gentry, Martin would be more than adequate

Along with adding McCann at catcher, I'd almost be ready to call it a day

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the White Sox can hold off till the offseason to deal Rios... maybe the White Sox can get Stanton from Miami and also include some prospects in the deal for Rios.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

now that's a thought McCann and Choo. how about Konerko for 1 year as our DH?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now that's a thought McCann and Choo. how about Konerko for 1 year as our DH?

I think Konerko is done, he fell off a cliff this year, that'll happen when you're 37

It has Berkman written all over it

The issue with plugging someone into the DH role is if we keep Profar, he's not a DH persay, BUT if you use him to rest the 3 IF guys and play him at DH one day a week, thats 4 days a week you can plug him into the lineup

And you leave yourself with roster flexibility, instead of tying up a spot with a positionless DH

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the White Sox can hold off till the offseason to deal Rios... maybe the White Sox can get Stanton from Miami and also include some prospects in the deal for Rios.
I highly doubt it. Just sounds like a GM who wants to to appease a fanbase that won't be competing.

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we can't steal Rios, then forget it. We don't need him. I've liked what Ive seen the last few days...yes, it's three games against a loser opponent ( and I'm not referring to the Angels record either), but I can see this lineup working...

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would not mind also seeing a right handed bat for the OF besides Gentry. But I really do not want us to spend 18 mill next year for Rios if that is what the price is.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt it. Just sounds like a GM who wants to to appease a fanbase that won't be competing.

Agreed, now he can say "Hey guys I tried, but those selfish jerks wouldn't give me Profar, Martin, or perez" and those moron will probably say "JD is an idiot, Alex Rios is awesome!"