• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers Claim Rios, but still have to work out deal.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorta funny how this worked out though:
White Sox: Give us 3 of your top prospects
Rangers: What? you have to be kidding
White Sox: OK give us one of them
Rangers: No!
White Sox: OK, give us your old utility guy
Rangers: No
White Sox: OK we will give you a million dollars for your old utility guy, you can have Rios.

The Sox come off looking like the guy at the Mexican flea market that want to sell you a $5 pair of sunglasses for $80 but then ends up selling them to you for $3.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that Tavares prospect at St Louis a LF?....one prospect for another to meet a need each team has....

I'm not sure if this would ever happen though. Teams don't typically trade top prospect for top prospect, its the sort of thing that bites you in the butt and can get GM's fired if it doesn't work out. Typically if you plan on trading your top prospect you do it for proven MLB level talent. I personally wouldn't be all that objective to such a trade at this point but I think both the Rangers and the Cardinals would be reluctant to do such a deal. Also, they might lose Beltran to FA... so they may have a spot for him.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather see us concentrate on re-signing Garza, Soto, Frasor, Baker and, yes, Cruz, sign McCann & Choo and pick Nathan's option.

that would give us a batting order of

Choo LF
Andrus SS
Kinsler 2B
Beltre 3B
McCann C
Cruz DH
Rios RF
Moreland 1B
Martin CF

with Baker, Beltre, Gentry & Soto as our bench

way to early for me scotty but I sure wouldn't rule out Martin holding lead off in Texas. Much still to see but that speed and bunting ability commands lead off if he to develops an eye for the strike zone. Understand the second lead off position, just not ready to say Martin goes there....not after the 10 or so games. Martin has kicked it in another gear and we might be seeing a star develop

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorta funny how this worked out though:
White Sox: Give us 3 of your top prospects
Rangers: What? you have to be kidding
White Sox: OK give us one of them
Rangers: No!
White Sox: OK, give us your old utility guy
Rangers: No
White Sox: OK we will give you a million dollars for your old utility guy, you can have Rios.

The Sox come off looking like the guy at the Mexican flea market that want to sell you a $5 pair of sunglasses for $80 but then ends up selling them to you for $3.

Pretty much. Most of us had this thing pegged from the start and Hahn comes off looking a little foolish. Frankly, Garcia could've been somewhat valuable to us as a utility guy with blazing speed, but at the end of the day rios does make the team better and fills a need for next year.

Now we just have to figure out how to get Murphy out of the lineup since we didn't dump him on Chicago. :(

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
way to early for me scotty but I sure wouldn't rule out Martin holding lead off in Texas. Much still to see but that speed and bunting ability commands lead off if he to develops an eye for the strike zone. Understand the second lead off position, just not ready to say Martin goes there....not after the 10 or so games. Martin has kicked it in another gear and we might be seeing a star develop

No kidding. Based on what we're seeing leave Martin alone.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much. Most of us had this thing pegged from the start and Hahn comes off looking a little foolish. Frankly, Garcia could've been somewhat valuable to us as a utility guy with blazing speed, but at the end of the day rios does make the team better and fills a need for next year.

Now we just have to figure out how to get Murphy out of the lineup since we didn't dump him on Chicago. :(
Different subject..... TV shows flooding in OKC. Hope you are safe. Take care.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thinking the same thing, just decided to let it go, it works either way really

Honestly the Rios deal makes Choo pretty unlikely at this point and I'm ok with that, of the 2 I'd rather have Choo, but we have Rios now, it is what it is

Cruz back on 1 year qualifying offer doesn't really bother me much, maybe eventually a 2 year deal with a 3rd year vesting option based on performance, similar to what Melky got

Honestly I'd kinda like to have Gentry and Beltre available to patrol CF regularly next year

Martin, Gentry/Beltre, Rios in LF/CF/RF with Cruz DHing

But I'm still certainly wanting McCann at catcher for sure, but also would be ok with AJP again if McCann doesn't pan out

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if this would ever happen though. Teams don't typically trade top prospect for top prospect, its the sort of thing that bites you in the butt and can get GM's fired if it doesn't work out. Typically if you plan on trading your top prospect you do it for proven MLB level talent. I personally wouldn't be all that objective to such a trade at this point but I think both the Rangers and the Cardinals would be reluctant to do such a deal. Also, they might lose Beltran to FA... so they may have a spot for him.

Its unlikely and rarely happens, but its certainly outside the box thinking

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

not a shot at Martin but would really like to see how other teams react later in the game when they have to face Martin, Choo, Andrus and Kinsler

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is actually the 2nd time Rios has changed teams during the waiver period, the White Sox claimed him and the Blue Jays let them have him a couple years ago

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's bold, I'd like him too.
But I think he's been slumping or was injured, been too busy to look it up. Two other problems, pretty risky for both GM's....I'd have to say no way either would do a straight trade.
and Cards may need Taveras

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOLY SHIT, we did get Rios?! I just realized that.... (yes I've been out of baseball news pretty much this week)
NICE JD, you're the man.

lainey12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trivia -- both Alex Rios and Colby Lewis were first round picks in the 1999 amateur draft.

Rios was 19th overall by TOR ... Colby 38th overall by TEX

Here's some (maybe) interesting (timely) trivia.
relatively first round, first to go draft picks from HS (USA)

1993-AROD
1999-Hamilton
2000-Adrian Gonzales
2001-Mauer
2005-J.Upton

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's bold, I'd like him too.
But I think he's been slumping or was injured, been too busy to look it up. Two other problems, pretty risky for both GM's....I'd have to say no way either would do a straight trade.
and Cards may need Taveras
He has been injured - don't recall the injury. The Cards said they would make room for him but they have excess OF. They may choose to move Holliday this offseason?? Also, I think Beltran may be a FA next year...not sure of that one..

BLeslie59Rangers

I hate the Angels...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been injured - don't recall the injury. The Cards said they would make room for him but they have excess OF. They may choose to move Holliday this offseason?? Also, I think Beltran may be a FA next year...not sure of that one..
Just read some Cardinal blogs, there is growing disenchantment with Holliday and the thought is to move him this offseason. Then they would move Allen Craig to LF to open 1B for Matt Adams. Taveras would compete with Jay for the CF spot. They would try to retain Beltran. Wow, nice problem to have....

So getting a Taveras could be a tough call...but we're not offering a scrub here and how often can you potentially acquire a franchise SS (pressure is on Profar!) Yes, maybe other players may have be involved as well. The Card blogs also mentioned the fact that the Cards have other talented OF ready to move up in Memphis, so dealing Taveras maybe wouldn't set their OF depth back much...

FYI - on Holliday. He is batting .284 with 13 hrs and 54 rbis. The problem is he has a penchant for GIDP (25 of them this year, yikes!!) and his defense isn't the greatest...not be a candidate for us IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: