• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams War Room

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Fisher, St. Louis Rams embrace Michael Sam: An inside look - NFL.com

Couple of notes from the article:

Sam wasn't high on the Rams board, figuring he'd be gone by the time they got to the 7th round, where they had him rated.

They were targeting Donald, Martin and Mosley at #13. Had none of them been there, they would've traded down to the 20's and taken a lineman then.

They traded up for Joyner fearing the Titans were going to take him. They may have been right considering the Titans traded down right after the Rams took Joyner.

Fisher really wanted Alexander. Even though they felt he may be available later, they didn't want to take that chance and miss out on him like they did with Bobby Wagner.

They considered trading up to draft McCarron but decided not to. They didn't say why.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have traded up for McCArron who we need and left SAM off the selection list who we don't need because we already have at least five DE without SAM in camp already. That was stupid.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have traded up for McCArron who we need and left SAM off the selection list who we don't need because we already have at least five DE without SAM in camp already. That was stupid.

Agree

Not sure why they didn't package their 6th and 2 7th's to move back into the 5th.

They still had their comp 6th and 2 comp 7th's to use.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: McCarron would have been the QB for the future. SJ is right. Snisher gets a stiffy for people and then zones out. Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll would have made that deal. And that is why we are behind the eightball right now compared to other NFCW teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't understand the Gilbert move, any insight on that?

And how were they not considering a safety there? Martin is an OG, and #13 is still a little high but very reasonable, not us though #2. Good thing we were going to draft TWO guards!?!?! I don't understand the move of drafting two OTs that people don't trust to play OT, the only difference is that Robinson has a higher ceiling and "could" play OT "on the NFL level" "in the future." I just don't understand this draft at all.

And Donald and Mosley really aren't need either! I love the Donald pick, I assume they didn't think they'd get him there and he was to good to pass up, I kinda agree which is why I like the move but it wasn't a big "need" and inside linebacker is a need, but not in the first round! We need a backup MLB, we could've gotten that in the 3-4th round, why would we draft him there in the 1st?

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree: McCarron would have been the QB for the future. SJ is right. Snisher gets a stiffy for people and then zones out. Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll would have made that deal. And that is why we are behind the eightball right now comapred to other NFCW teams.

the future? AJ couldn't hold bradford's jock. but his gf would have made it interesting.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WE have been looking for a back-up who could hold a clipboard for a couple of years and then step in. McCarron would have fit that bill. OF course he is not on par with Bradford right now Cougar. In a couple of years maybe. But apparently we are going with Austin in that category.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand why Gilbert. I understand not trading up, only because, easier said than done. You never know who could fall, or maybe they thought Gilbert as just as good. I would like to know that.

As far as long term, Sam will either play well this year and keep the job, or we'll spend an early pick on a new starter next season. I like AJ's skills, but he still would've been to develop for a little bit and we can get someone better in round one next year. Hopefully Sam plays well enough to keep his job.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't understand the Gilbert move, any insight on that?

And how were they not considering a safety there? Martin is an OG, and #13 is still a little high but very reasonable, not us though #2. Good thing we were going to draft TWO guards!?!?! I don't understand the move of drafting two OTs that people don't trust to play OT, the only difference is that Robinson has a higher ceiling and "could" play OT "on the NFL level" "in the future." I just don't understand this draft at all.

And Donald and Mosley really aren't need either! I love the Donald pick, I assume they didn't think they'd get him there and he was to good to pass up, I kinda agree which is why I like the move but it wasn't a big "need" and inside linebacker is a need, but not in the first round! We need a backup MLB, we could've gotten that in the 3-4th round, why would we draft him there in the 1st?

They drafted these two in the seventh: Portland State tackle Mitchell Van Dyk and Tennessee State center Demetrius Rhaney. Rhaney is a true center. They got overshadowed by all the ridiculous nonsense with SAM. We did get two guards but this Van Dky dude from Portland State is legit. 6'6 313lbs and they say is the prototypical NFL tackle. So they drafted a bunch of DBs to finally get all of the seconday filled and they drafted a bunch lineman. They left out LBs especially someone to spell JL. Not good. Don't have any insights on Gilbert. More of the same. I suppose.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They drafted these two in the seventh: Portland State tackle Mitchell Van Dyk and Tennessee State center Demetrius Rhaney. Rhaney is a true center. They got overshadowed by all the ridiculous nonsense with SAM. We did get two guards but this Van Dky dude from Portland State is legit. 6'6 313lbs and they say is the prototypical NFL tackle. So they drafted a bunch of DBs to finally get all of the seconday filled and they drafted a bunch lineman. They left out LBs especially someone to spell JL. Not good. Don't have any insights on Gilbert. More of the same. I suppose.

2 OGs in the first I meant... Robinson and Martin. I like the Rhaney pick.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand why Gilbert. I understand not trading up, only because, easier said than done. You never know who could fall, or maybe they thought Gilbert as just as good. I would like to know that.

As far as long term, Sam will either play well this year and keep the job, or we'll spend an early pick on a new starter next season. I like AJ's skills, but he still would've been to develop for a little bit and we can get someone better in round one next year. Hopefully Sam plays well enough to keep his job.

One of the Rams' scouts (Kazor) was a coach on Gilbert's high school team and followed him throughout his career. Gilbert was a five star QB prospect coming out of high school, got caught up in the Texas depth chart and transferred to SMU after he graduated to play in June Jones' pass-heavy system.

Scout's connection leads Rams to QB Gilbert : Sports

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree

Not sure why they didn't package their 6th and 2 7th's to move back into the 5th.

They still had their comp 6th and 2 comp 7th's to use.

There has to be someone interested in those picks to make the trade happen; maybe that's why they didn't trade up.

If they hadn't traded their 5th rounder to move up, I think they could've waited until the 5th for Alexander and taken a more appropriate 4th rounder, but then they may not have gotten Joyner I guess. Water under the bridge at this point I guess.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ McCarron is terrible. His upside is Mark Sanchez

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ McCarron is terrible. His upside is Mark Sanchez

Agreed. From what I've been reading, he fell in the draft because of his poor interviews with teams. Apparently he expected to be drafted in the top 35 and his obnoxious attitude left many teams with a bad impression of him.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the Rams' scouts (Kazor) was a coach on Gilbert's high school team and followed him throughout his career. Gilbert was a five star QB prospect coming out of high school, got caught up in the Texas depth chart and transferred to SMU after he graduated to play in June Jones' pass-heavy system.

Scout's connection leads Rams to QB Gilbert : Sports

Okay cool, glad we figured that out! Maybe there is more potential than we think here.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay cool, glad we figured that out! Maybe there is more potential than we think here.

I'll be surprised if he beats out Davis for the 3rd QB. Really the only pick I didn't like in the draft. A MLB would have been nice instead.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 OGs in the first I meant... Robinson and Martin. I like the Rhaney pick.

IceFreeze. We took Robinson who is the first OT/OG and we took Donald with the second pick who is a D-lineman. Zach Martin who is a OT went to somebody else. Maybe this Gilbert QB, who is also pretty stout will be a nice back-up?

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IceFreeze. We took Robinson who is the first OT/OG and we took Donald with the second pick who is a D-lineman. Zach Martin who is a OT went to somebody else. Maybe this Gilbert QB, who is also pretty stout will be a nice back-up?

The article was saying that they targeted Martin at #13 and also considered trading back in for him. Martin is widely considered an OG in the NFL and did play some OG at ND (they moved him across the line, it's one of the reasons he was a wanted player). Robinson was drafted at #2, and they knew they were going to have him, so that means their targets at #13 were based around the fact that Robinson would be on the team. Now the FO drafted Robinson at #2 overall, and all signs are pointing to him playing OG this year and then "hopefully" moving into the OT role. So for all intents and purposes, we drafted an OG at #2 overall (which is a typical Rams move) and then targeted another OG at #13... how does that make sense?! (I do assume at that point, if we drafted both of them, that Robinson would be forced to play OT, which is also why I said we might as well draft one of the better OGs on Day 2, but again, that didn't happen.)

I understand we didn't actually take Martin at at #13, and I'm thrilled we took Donald, but we weren't even considering a Safety?!?!? :wtf2: How does that make sense, it is one of our biggest needs, and an OT was not our biggest need. If we drafted Mack or Watkins #2 overall (or traded back and drafted Donald) and then took Martin at #13, now maybe that makes a little more sense, personally, I feel Lewan went WAY to high, but that's neither here nor there).

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article was saying that they targeted Martin at #13 and also considered trading back in for him. Martin is widely considered an OG in the NFL and did play some OG at ND (they moved him across the line, it's one of the reasons he was a wanted player). Robinson was drafted at #2, and they knew they were going to have him, so that means their targets at #13 were based around the fact that Robinson would be on the team. Now the FO drafted Robinson at #2 overall, and all signs are pointing to him playing OG this year and then "hopefully" moving into the OT role. So for all intents and purposes, we drafted an OG at #2 overall (which is a typical Rams move) and then targeted another OG at #13... how does that make sense?! (I do assume at that point, if we drafted both of them, that Robinson would be forced to play OT, which is also why I said we might as well draft one of the better OGs on Day 2, but again, that didn't happen.)

I understand we didn't actually take Martin at at #13, and I'm thrilled we took Donald, but we weren't even considering a Safety?!?!? :wtf2: How does that make sense, it is one of our biggest needs, and an OT was not our biggest need. If we drafted Mack or Watkins #2 overall (or traded back and drafted Donald) and then took Martin at #13, now maybe that makes a little more sense, personally, I feel Lewan went WAY to high, but that's neither here nor there).

Maybe they just didn't have the safeties ranked that high

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they just didn't have the safeties ranked that high

That's right. We didn't consider a safety at 13 because there wasn't one worth picking there. You can't just take a safety because you need one. The Martin move at 13 after taking Robinson is confusing to me too the only explanation is they had Martin rated very high. But when Donald fell it made the choice simple