• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams OL Needs and Fixes

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know what the Rams need to do in the upcoming draft, find a offensive line. A lot will depend on Barksdale of course but I am going to go on the thought that some team over pays and he is gone. The OL model was proven by the Cowboys this year and for the Rams to keep moving up in the division and the NFL in general, we have to put a O-line equal to the D-line we have already.

The Rams do have other needs, OLB, CB, QB and maybe a future MLB propect but for now, the O-line is the need. With Bradford coming back or Hill type or even rookie QB, it is even more important that the O-line is fixed long term. For this reason, I throw my book at this draft to fix it. I am unsure about Jones at center even so I think that even has to be addressed. Thoughts follow:

Round 1
Brandon Scherff OT, Andrus Peat OT and La'el Collins OT, lesser degree T.S. Clemings OT

All 3 could play now at RT, Scherff and Collins at LG if that is the decision. Clemings is a talent but probably not ready to play day one without going through with what Robinson had to learn in 2014. I like all 3 and getting one is no doubt the best option.

Round 2
A.J. Cann OG

Would start day one and play LG next to Robinson. No switching tackle to guard, back to tackle, just get a guard and play the next 10 years.

Round 3
Hroniss Grasu C, Reese Dismukes C or Tre' Jackson OG

Depending on what happened in the first two rounds Jackson might be the choise for OG. I like the strenght, footwork and hands of Grasu over Dismukes but if Jones can't go, both would be fine.

I know a lot of you will disagree because hey where is the WR or when do we get the QB, well depending on Free agency, Bradford back or not, Barksdale and many other things, it could change but for me, fix the O-Line and the Rams will be better. If the decision is to draft a QB in the 3rd, the OG and OT must be gotten in the first two rounds. Sell out for our future.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think O Line has to be the top priority for where we draft and what value will be on the board. I like the idea of Scherff or Collins starting out on the inside, bringing back Barksdale and drafting or signing a center. Joseph and Wells made it difficult for the right side of the line to do anything. Hopefully a good OLB drops for our 2nd and maybe even be able to get a top Center in the 3rd. Depth in 5th and 7th.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know what the Rams need to do in the upcoming draft, find a offensive line. A lot will depend on Barksdale of course but I am going to go on the thought that some team over pays and he is gone. The OL model was proven by the Cowboys this year and for the Rams to keep moving up in the division and the NFL in general, we have to put a O-line equal to the D-line we have already.

The Rams do have other needs, OLB, CB, QB and maybe a future MLB propect but for now, the O-line is the need. With Bradford

coming back or Hill type or even rookie QB, it is even more important that the O-line is fixed long term. For this reason, I throw my book at this draft to fix it. I am unsure about Jones at center even so I think that even has to be addressed. Thoughts follow:

Round 1
Brandon Scherff OT, Andrus Peat OT and La'el Collins OT, lesser degree T.S. Clemings OT

All 3 could play now at RT, Scherff and Collins at LG if that is the decision. Clemings is a talent but probably not ready to play day one without going through with what Robinson had to learn in 2014. I like all 3 and getting one is no doubt the best option.

Round 2

A.J. Cann OG

Would start day one and play LG next to Robinson. No switching tackle to guard, back to tackle, just get a guard and play the next 10 years.

Round 3

Depending on what happened in the first two rounds Jackson might be the choise for OG. I like the strenght, footwork and hands of Grasu over Dismukes but if Jones can't go, both would be fine.

I know a lot of you will disagree because hey where is the WR or when do we get the QB, well depending on Free agency, Bradford back or not, Barksdale and many other things, it could change but for me, fix the O-Line and the Rams will be better. If the decision is to draft a QB in the 3rd, the OG and OT must be gotten in the first two rounds. Sell out for our future.

I agree, I don't know what some of these guys are thinking wanting to draft a WR, how many have we already drafted in the past few years. I think we have maybe not great, but a good group of WR. It serves no purpose to draft a WR if we have no QB to throw to them, or no oline to give the QB time to throw to them.

Draft oline first pick, then draft oline 2nd pick, then draft oline 3rd pick etc, etc, one or two of them should pan out !

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Barksdale will probably get an offer and be gone. Hopefully they will sign a stud center in FA. Then you can still fill another need like LB, TE in the 3rd. Get your OT at 10 then a stud guard in the second. I don't think you want 3 rookies on the OL starting next to each other.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Barksdale will probably get an offer and be gone. Hopefully they will sign a stud center in FA. Then you can still fill another need like LB, TE in the 3rd. Get your OT at 10 then a stud guard in the second. I don't think you want 3 rookies on the OL starting next to each other.

3 rookies starting on same line would be awesome, if they all turned out to be good! But the odds of that aren't probably that good! But I wouldn't have a problem with it, especially if they were there for the next 10 years or so!

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Round 2
A.J. Cann OG
Round 3

We will be drafting a QB in round 3 IMO (Grayson or Petty) so Dismukes is the guy I look at in round 2 over Cann. He will be a pro bowl center from day one. Unless they draft Hundley in round 2, then snag any of the 3 you mention in round 3. I do not think AJ Cann will be there when we pick in round 2. Most mocks have him going from #25-#35 and we pick at #40 in round 2.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo the easiest way to improve the team next year would be to re-sign Britt and Barksdale and draft Scherff to play G. Between Bradford and a viable backup like Fitzgerald then they'd have a punchers chance if the defense stays healthy and Quick is as good as Snead and Co thinks he is.

The other route would be to let Britt walk, take Iuapti in Free Agency and draft Devante Parker, Amari Cooper or White.

Im not sure I take too much stock in the Rams finding a QB through the draft unless it involves a trade that gets Foles, Cutler, Cousins or Glennon.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 rookies starting on same line would be awesome, if they all turned out to be good! But the odds of that aren't probably that good! But I wouldn't have a problem with it, especially if they were there for the next 10 years or so!

yeah but nothing wrong with a Vet center that can make the calls at LOS and is familiar with nfl defensive looks and can help the rookies. Saffold would be really be the only Vet that would be scary.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure I take too much stock in the Rams finding a QB through the draft unless it involves a trade that gets Foles, Cutler, Cousins or Glennon.

Since they are not looking for a starter, drafting Petty or Grayson in the middle or Mannion a bit later carries ZERO risk. I still think they will grab a FA veteran as the Plan B to Sam. But please, no Shaun Hill (who said his agent is meeting with the Rams at the combine) or Austin Davis. I would be ok with Glennon

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Since they are not looking for a starter, drafting Petty or Grayson in the middle or Mannion a bit later carries ZERO risk.
The success rate of picking QB after the top 50 picks is probably around 10%. So 90% chance of wasting a draft pick is a big risk. Fisher is probably feeling a hot seat right now and I can't imagine him going with a project to save his career when he has a huge track record of sticking with average QBs post McNair.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine him going with a project to save his career when he has a huge track record of sticking with average QBs post McNair.

Isn't he ALREADY going with a project essentially by staying with Sam Bradford?? My point is this. If Sam does not produce and the Rams do not win AT LEAST 8 games, both Bradford AND Fisher will be gone.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but if you're Fisher why spend a third round pick on a quarterback if the chances are very slim he's going to work out to begin with. Especially if you think that you're going to be gone next year. That third round pick could be a starter somewhere else. It's pretty clear they want to bring back Hill back and I bet they bring Davis back too. I think they'll do what they did last year pick a quarterback in the fifth round.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be ok with Mannion in the fifth round too... I could see that happening.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be ok with Mannion in the fifth round too... I could see that happening.

I think this guy will be the surprise of the draft. pro style QB. I bet he will go in the 3rd rd.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue, I really am beginning to like Peat. He has sort of fallen under the radar and he is bigger than Scherff and just a badass. I'll be satisfied with either one. I also really like Cann. Big and nasty. I was on the Dismukes bandwagon but the more I looked at games with Grasu, the more I like the kid. I could see an O-line next year of G.Rob, Cann, Grasu, Saffold, and Peat. Yowser!

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see an O-line next year of G.Rob, Cann, Grasu, Saffold, and Peat. Yowser!

I would too, but there is no possible way to get Peat, Grassu and Cann unless you plan on skipping Petty or Grayson and focusing on Mannion in the later rounds at QB. Even then, I think Cann is the guy we do not get just because I think he will be gone by the time we pick in round 2. Personally I would be even more excited about THIS line:

G. Rob, Orlando Franklin,Dismukes or Grassu,Saffold,Scherff or Peat or Collins

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, Commish. I was getting a little greedy in my fantasy. I suspect we'll end up without Cann and snag Peat/Scherff/Collins and Dismukes/Grassu and then a QB.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell if I wanted to get greedy we could do something like this. Trade down twice from 10 (say to about 15), gather an extra 2nd, 3rd and 4th, Still get Clemmings in the first, then snag AJ Cann early in the 2nd, Snag an OLB with the other 2nd rounder and get Dismukes or Grassu early in the 3rd and still get the QB in the 3rd... and STILL sign Franklin as a Free Agent. Studliness, youth AND depth!!

Damn it... Get me Les Snead on the phone PRONTO!! :10:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The centers everyone is mentioning are better fits for a zone blocking scheme. The Rams are man/power blocking team, correct?

Rams will need to address the O-line in free agency with at least 1 signing if not 2. 3 rookies on the line plus GRob still developing, along with the oft-injured Saffold will put Bradford back on the disabled list quickly.

I would lean towards trading down in 1st round to pick up at least an extra 2nd rounder. Draft top OL/WR in the 1st, QB and OL in the second, then fill in CB, OLB/ILB, OL, WR (if not in the 1st) with best available in the rest of the draft.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue, I really am beginning to like Peat. He has sort of fallen under the radar and he is bigger than Scherff and just a badass. I'll be satisfied with either one. I also really like Cann. Big and nasty. I was on the Dismukes bandwagon but the more I looked at games with Grasu, the more I like the kid. I could see an O-line next year of G.Rob, Cann, Grasu, Saffold, and Peat. Yowser!

Who's this Yowser guy, I haven't heard anything about him.:)