• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Draft Wish

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys - Here's the scoop on the rumors Les Snead created during an interview after the draft in which he stated that there was a player the Rams really wanted who was taken "4 or 5 spots" ahead of our pick. He didn't name the round or the player in his interview.

Apparently, according to a friend of mine, that player was Larry Warford, OG Kentucky. I believe he was taken 6 picks ahead of us in the third round by Detroit.

The Rams had three players targeted for the 30th pick in round one after they traded down from #22:

Datone Jones
Alec Ogletree
Larry Warford

Datone Jones was taken by Green Bay ahead of our second pick in the first round. So we had our choice between Ogletree and Warford at #30 and chose Ogletree.

When Warford was not taken in the second round, the Rams were very excited about taking him in the third and couldn't believe he had fallen that far!

If Warford had fallen to us in the third, we probably would still have taken McDonald or another safety in the fourth instead of Barrett Jones.

That's the latest fallout from Rams draft 2013.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was very high on Warford coming into the draft. I would have been very pleased if the Rams had gotten him in the 3rd.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very happy with Barrett Jones pick and I can see where they were going with Warford, but not Datone Jones.

We are pretty well set at DE and while I am a big UCLA homer I really don't see how Datone Jones was a fit for us at 30?

I think the Alec Ogletree was a good fit at 30.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm wondering why we didn't make a move up to one of the top spots in the third round if a guy you would have taken in the first has fallen that far. I realize we target a certain number of players for each draft slot we have in each round and want to come out of the draft with a certain number of players at specific positions.

However, if you don't want to give up another one of this year's picks (a fifth or sixth - we already traded the 7th to Buffalo) to move up in the third, what about giving up a middle round pick next year?

As far as Datone Jones goes, sometimes you take the best available player. The Giants keep drafting DE's despite quality and quantity at the position. The Packers track record in the draft suggests that Jones was the BPA at their slot.

Ogletree was the right decision at the time. He fit a specific need, whereas Warford's position was occupied by a number of players on our roster. Of course, time will tell if Ogletree becomes a better pro than Warford.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The story is in Peter King's article in Sports Illustrated this week.

TEB11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing I like about Barrett Jones is he is a proven winner, but more so a noticeable leader. That is apparent due to the fact he won all those player awards he won at Alabama. Outstanding pick and thanks to all the teams that passed on him.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barrett Jones natural position is probably center and center is a more valuable position so Im happy we got him. He doesn't have Warford's upside but Guards come out in the draft every year so maybe we will just have to wait until next year IF we need one